#1 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:06 AM

http://www.ebay.com/...518474606371001

Noticed this Signed UK First Edition of COLD currently on Ebay. There were only about 900 of these printed, right? Most of which went to libraries. Don't know exactly how many were signed, but my understanding is that it wasn't many (always seemed like the sort of thing where those who have one all know of the other people who have one). Anyway, it's yours for only US $499.99.

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:26 AM

Wow. If I had money to burn, I would buy this. It's the only UK first I don't have signed. But I don't have money to burn. (And I do have a signed Cold Fall.)

#3 FLEMINGFAN

FLEMINGFAN

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:05 PM

Quite a find and the book itself, not being a library edition, is worth quite a bit.
I understantd that the first printing run was 1500 copies, plus any 'Book Club' editions.

Edited by FLEMINGFAN, 01 December 2011 - 05:50 PM.

#4 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:53 PM

There were only about 900 of these printed, right? Most of which went to libraries.

How sure are we that Hodder & Stoughton only did a 900 copy print run?

I worked in Canada that year. Let me tell you right now that there had to have been almost that many copies in circulation in that country alone. Every bookshop had copies. Public libraries too. I'm talking the Hodder & Stoughton UK edition. Not unless the publishers knew which part of that country I'd be spending two weeks in and so made sure the three-to-ten copies I kept seeing in shops & stores were there to greet me.

Two thousand print run seems more credible. I could be wrong. Don't claim to be an expert on publishing numbers.