162 replies to this topic

#151 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:23 PM

ASSASSIN OF SECRETS by Q.R. Markham have both been nominated for the Book-of-the-Month Club’s First Fiction Award.

Are they insane? :|

Don't know. But they're definitely not psychic. The nomination happened in August.

#152 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:12 AM

Rowan explains why. Blames it on alcohol addiction. Says this cost him his job and his girlfriend.

He does us the courtesy of linking to this thread. Mighty fine of him. He also quotes Bryce's tactless comments.

He's a totally delusional fantasist, genuinely in need of help.

And Rowan's no different.

Haha! :D Great stuff.

Never mind what you think about Rowan, I'm still a bit ashamed to be on a forum where a mod has talked about killing someone just because the guy stole some words. There's something very wrong about that, and given that the guy has talked about suicide (again: whether you believe that or not), I think Bryce really should apologise. it was an appalling thing to write, and quite believably could have actually killed a man. In the real world.

#153 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 03:36 AM

Can you imagine? No more parties with Hugh Hefner for him, then; that's for certain...

#154 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:07 AM

I do not see this remark as anything but kicking a man while he is down.

I think he has it coming. I read his little essay on why he did it, and while it is (probably) his own work, it comes across as insincere and woe-is-me and contradicts the accounts of some who crossed paths with him. Rowan seems very eager to blame his transgressions on alcoholism, and his comments suggest that he only plagiarised because he was faced with a deadline and was under pressure. I could accept this latter statement if his plagiarism was limited, but his entire novel was a tapestry of other peoples' work. It feels like he is saying "I screwed up, but I screwed up because of this, so I can bundle it all up and throw it all away as if it never happened". Author Duane Swierczynski was at a Q&A and booksigning session alongside Rowan and described him as coming across as overly self-important, haughty and imperious, which does not tally with Rowan's explanation that he did it because he struggled with alcohol.

So long as Rowan continues to make excuses for his behaviour without truly accepting responsibility, I'll continue kicking him.

#155 Syndicate

Syndicate

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:26 AM

So long as Rowan continues to make excuses for his behaviour without truly accepting responsibility, I'll continue kicking him.

That is so true, as the saying go "You did the crime now you got to do the time." And in his case he got to take what coming to him, and not just from regular people. But also any big name authors and all the big book publishing companies that wants to have a piece of him. He did this to himself no one did it to him at all. So he has to leave with it for the rest of his life. Also I don't think anyone will believe him that he did that because of his alcoholism that made him do it and NOT himself. That is like saying I killed a federal agent or a cop, because I was under the influence of Amphetamines, and IF I was 110% not under the influence I would not have killed a federal agent or a cop. That just saying the Amphetamines made me do it, it NOT my falt, I DID NOT tell myself to do it at all.

Edited by Syndicate, 12 December 2011 - 10:22 PM.

#156 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:57 PM

More on this appears in a recent edition of "The New Yorker," which mentions CBn and describes the role played by AMC Hornet in unmasking the plagiarism, though AMC Hornet's role is not given all the credit it deserves. (And it briefly even quotes me.)

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/02/13/120213fa_fact_widdicombe#ixzz1nJ57SWgU

#157 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:35 PM

It pains me to admit that Rowan and I have one thing in common:

Eidetic Memory, as mentioned in the article (the ability to recall the appearance and location of text in any book).

The difference is, I've never assumed that I'm unique.

This shared talent not only helped him to do what he did, it also contributed to his being exposed.

An object lesson for all of us.

Edited by AMC Hornet, 24 February 2012 - 05:36 PM.

#158 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:00 PM

Rowan has a new book coming out:

Never Say Goodbye:

"A powerful coming-of-age story as well as an in-depth examination of a long period of transgression, Never Say Goodbye is simultaneously a memoir and an unflinching confession. Beginning with his earliest memories of childhood theft and cheating, the author traces his path through juvenile delinquency and adolescent drug addiction to the solace he initially found in writing and other creative outlets. When he achieves sobriety at the age of 20, however, insecurity about his early writing success begins to cloud his judgment and Rowan turns more and more frequently to stealing words from other authors.

"The narrative follows Rowan's attempts to navigate life in his early twenties, while he is simultaneously trying to become a well-known writer and not get found out. It describes the difficulty of leading a normal and honest life while keeping such a huge secret from friends and family, and culminates with the author's descent into infamy. Five days after the publication of his debut novel, the book is withdrawn by publisher Little, Brown after a barrage of media reports that large parts of it have been plagiarized from the work of other writers, The entire cancer of Rowan's deception is revealed, and he is left to pick up the pieces and find a way to go on. Ultimately, the writing of this book - and the rediscovery of his own creative gifts - proves to be Quentin Rowan's redemption."

#159 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:12 PM

Oh, no...

#160 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:52 PM

Bumping this just to keep it from vanishing.

It may be a useful exercise for warning others about the 'benefits' of cutting & pasting instead of doing your own research.

#161 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:55 AM

Not likely to have much effect, I'm afraid. I wonder such cases don't make it into the headlines more often. Probably isn't considered 'news' any more.

#162 JohnnyWalker

JohnnyWalker

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:29 PM

Is it ironic that his first name is Quentin?

#163 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:37 PM

Bumping this (again) just to keep it from vanishing.

I'm still convinced It may be a useful exercise for warning others about the 'benefits' of cutting & pasting instead of doing your own research.