This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

David Arnold on 'Skyfall'...

319 replies to this topic

Poll: David Arnold on 'Skyfall'...

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Who would you like to Score Skyfall?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Marketto007

Marketto007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2487 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:20 PM

I saw his name in italics at the bottom of this thread earlier. He was obviously going to post something, but he logged off before sending it through.

He is a member of CBn? Really?

xxx

#32 occhile007

occhile007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:48 PM

I'm all for David Arnold. I've said it before and I'll keep saying it...John Barry recommened Arnold to the producers..." If you can't respect John Barry's opinion, the man who created/mastered the Bond sound, then too bad for you.

However, if it does come time to pass the torch, I would like to see Michael Giacchino, Cliff Martinez (Drive Soundtrack), even John Powell.

I would at least like to see David Arnold wrap up the Craig era. Especially with the upcoming 50 year anniversary...

#33 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:00 PM

Quite agree. Baffles me how some don't realize what we have in Arnold, but to each their own.

#34 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:22 PM

I saw his name in italics at the bottom of this thread earlier. He was obviously going to post something, but he logged off before sending it through.

xxx

He wasn't talking about Arnold.

#35 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:26 PM

I´d love a new sound. I like Arnold, he´s a fan. And he has done some good work now and then. But if Mendes brings someone new for this one I won´t loose spleep over it. Anyway, is it strange that Arnold hasn´t been called yet? (if he hasn´t been called) Shouldn´t they be discussing the "tone" of the piece or something like that? Or is it too soon?

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. I'd like a new sound, but Arnold is like a a comfy old glove and I'd be worried that the new pair, although flashy and cool, would simply not be warm enough. Music is one of those things that could easily an otherwise perfectly decent flick.

#36 Joe Bond

Joe Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:31 PM

Arnold will probably return, though i'd rather we mix things up a bit and go for someone new.

Alexandre Desplat did some magnificent work on Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2, and on The Ides of March. Would love him to give Bond 23 a crack.

Don't forget his work on The Ghost Writer (aka The Ghost) which is how how I was introduced to his work.

#37 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:51 PM

xxx

He wasn't talking about Arnold.

I wonder if The Shark will be pleased that he has been mistaken for Mr Arnold.

#38 Marketto007

Marketto007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2487 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:07 PM

Haha... sorry folks!

xxx

#39 DominicGreene

DominicGreene

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:50 PM

I'm shocked no one has ever mentioned ENNIO MORRICONE, the best composer that is still living, to the Bond theme. He has done works for The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, and many western films which can be consdered some of the best in film history. He also did the music for the Untouchables, he's really good for sad and intense scores. Here are a few examples of Ennio Morricones work that demonstrate his quality in a Bond film,

These are only 2 out of the many works he has done.

Edited by DominicGreene, 01 November 2011 - 08:51 PM.

#40 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:02 PM

I'm shocked no one has ever mentioned ENNIO MORRICONE

They have.

http://debrief.comma...nt-for-bond-23/

#41 DominicGreene

DominicGreene

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:52 PM

I'm shocked no one has ever mentioned ENNIO MORRICONE

They have.

http://debrief.comma...nt-for-bond-23/

Bravo my friend, bravo. :tup:

#42 Baccarat

Baccarat

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 84 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:15 PM

I'll be more than happy if Mendes passes on Arnold. There are flashes of brilliance in CR and QOS, but that's about it. I'm probably in a minority of one, but I'd rather have Eric Serra back than another Arnold score. At least GE was memorable, if sometimes for the wrong reasons.

#43 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:40 AM

I'm with Royal Dalton. If Marc Forster couldn't get rid of him when they axed all the regulars I doubt Mendes will.

Is there any record that Forster tried to have him removed? I mean, maybe he was impressed enough by Arnold to keep him on-board. And the end result was not bad - QUANTUM OF SOALCE was easily one of Arnold's best scores.

Yep, though I'd argue a lot of that maybe down to Forster's influence on Arnold. Pushing him to his creative limits.

#44 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:44 AM

I'm with Royal Dalton. If Marc Forster couldn't get rid of him when they axed all the regulars I doubt Mendes will.

Is there any record that Forster tried to have him removed? I mean, maybe he was impressed enough by Arnold to keep him on-board. And the end result was not bad - QUANTUM OF SOALCE was easily one of Arnold's best scores.

Yep, though I'd argue a lot of that maybe down to Forster's influence on Arnold. Pushing him to his creative limits.

That was the impression I got as well. Forster probably encouraged Arnold to go above what he had previously proven capable of, resulting in the track for "Inside Man" amongst other notables.

#45 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:52 AM

If that's the case, why can't Arnold keep going with that? I mean, I'd love to see "Inside Man" become Arnold's answer to Barry's "007 Theme".

#46 Leon

Leon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:04 AM

I would rather like to see a new composer brought in for this Bond film. David Arnold has done a good job, for sure, but I find his scores rather samey and John Barry-lite. Of course, it would have to be an exceptional composer to replace him, but some scores with a bit more crafted class and meat to them would be a welcome change.

#47 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:06 AM

If that's the case, why can't Arnold keep going with that? I mean, I'd love to see "Inside Man" become Arnold's answer to Barry's "007 Theme".

So would I. Even though I do come off as Arnold's Inspector Dreyfus to his Clouseau, I really do love his score for QOS. If Mendes can put the wrath of God into him as Forster clearly did, then I'd be happy with him staying for BOND 23. I just don't want him as Bond composer for life.

#48 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:18 AM

Well it really doesn't sound as if he's a shoe in just yet, so we may just be getting a switch up. In any event, this film has the best chance of having a new composer since Arnold began his tenure.

#49 Peckinpah1976

Peckinpah1976

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 351 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:59 AM

Or Murray Gold for that matter, although It probably won't happen. The 50th Anniversary of Doctor Who is approaching, and Gold is pretty much tied up in that, and Series 7.

He's brilliant at integrating established themes though.

The words 'Murray Gold' and 'brilliant' don't belong in the same sentance; unless of course you like the idea of an over-loud, over-used and over-emphatic bosonova-style, 'Willy Wonka' soundtrack for the next Bond film?

To the uninitiated; this is the kind of [censored] I'm talking about:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhFJAMSpDIU

To be fair to the man, his music has improved since Moffat took over as showrunner but still; NO!

Personally I like what Arnold has done so far and I also like continuity of sound between films; if they really do want to start fishing for a new composer it should wait until Craig departs IMO - new lead, new approach, new sound.

Edited by Peckinpah1976, 02 November 2011 - 12:00 PM.

#50 Col. Sun

Col. Sun

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:13 PM

I think he'll be back.

Arnold may be back, but it does seem odd that he doesn't know yet, and Bond 23 starts shooting within days.

In the past, Arnold has been onboard in pre-production, and has played around with ideas etc. during pre-production, but not this time.

I just have a gut feeling Mendes wants a fresh approach to the score.

#51 Ace Roberts

Ace Roberts

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 433 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:06 PM

I remember being ticked when I found out that John Barry would not provide the filmscore for Live and Let Die. Apparently the deal for McCartney included George Martin. George Martin? Well to this day, Live and Let Die is one of my favorite Bond scores. Yes it was different - yes it upset the cards so to speak - but it was perfect for that film and for that time. And Martin did a bang up job on the Bond theme and incorporating McCartney's tune in a number of the tracks. We were then rewarded with Barry's return in The Man With the Golden Gun. So my point is - if Mendes brings in Thomas Newman or someone else - I think it would be the perfect time to do so. Then - possibly - Arnold could return for Bond 24 if the cards were right.

#52 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:08 PM

Or Murray Gold for that matter, although It probably won't happen. The 50th Anniversary of Doctor Who is approaching, and Gold is pretty much tied up in that, and Series 7.

He's brilliant at integrating established themes though.

The words 'Murray Gold' and 'brilliant' don't belong in the same sentance; unless of course you like the idea of an over-loud, over-used and over-emphatic bosonova-style, 'Willy Wonka' soundtrack for the next Bond film?

To the uninitiated; this is the kind of [censored] I'm talking about:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhFJAMSpDIU

To be fair to the man, his music has improved since Moffat took over as showrunner but still; NO!

Personally I like what Arnold has done so far and I also like continuity of sound between films; if they really do want to start fishing for a new composer it should wait until Craig departs IMO - new lead, new approach, new sound.

I think that kind of thing suits the style of the show, though. He's capable of some great stuff.

#53 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:24 PM

I think he'll be back.

Arnold may be back, but it does seem odd that he doesn't know yet, and Bond 23 starts shooting within days.

In the past, Arnold has been onboard in pre-production, and has played around with ideas etc. during pre-production, but not this time.

I just have a gut feeling Mendes wants a fresh approach to the score.

I dunno. I would have thought Arnold would pre-empt any official announcement if he was out. Saying he's got other commitments, or whatever. Otherwise it'll look like he's been dropped.

It feels to me like the studio are playing it very safe this time. And if Mendes can't get his editor of choice through the door, what chance has he got of bringing in a new composer?

#54 Peckinpah1976

Peckinpah1976

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 351 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:40 PM

I think that kind of thing suits the style of the show, though. He's capable of some great stuff.

I have to admit that I'm somewhat biased; as a long-term fan I have a love/hate relationship with the modern version of the show but I do honestly find his music too much - it often overwhelms what's happening on screen and tries too hard to tell the audience how it should be feeling.

Maybe I should just stick to my Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker DVD's.

Ayway, James Bond....

#55 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:55 PM

I have to admit that I'm somewhat biased; as a long-term fan I have a love/hate relationship with the modern version of the show but I do honestly find his music too much - it often overwhelms what's happening on screen and tries too hard to tell the audience how it should be feeling.

I just want to say, I agree with all of the above. I have the same feelings about new Who, Gold and Baker.

#56 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:04 PM

I can see where your coming from. I have that same love/hate relationship, too. It's just came to light with the Moffat era though. Series 6 was really just a massive letdown. I love Smith, but the writing really does let him down. Moffat has turned from an utter genius with his Series 1 - 4 scripts, into this really annoying and generic writer. I mean really? A Tesselecta? Ugh.

#57 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:02 PM

It's just came to light with the Moffat era though. Series 6 was really just a massive letdown. I love Smith, but the writing really does let him down. Moffat has turned from an utter genius with his Series 1 - 4 scripts, into this really annoying and generic writer. I mean really? A Tesselecta? Ugh.

You sure? I seem to remember Handy from "Journey's End", floaty Dobby-Doctor from "Last of the Time Lords", and the Doctor berating an elderly companion for making him save him from "The End of Time" to be far worse.

The Teselecta reveal, by comparison, rates a mere "Oh, that's it? Okay... now, what about this Trenzalore?", rather than a "Doctor, what the HELL are you doing? What-- I don't even..." *spluttering*. See the difference?

Even I'll admit this series' finale wasn't as good as last series', but it's nowhere near the level of ridiculousness we got before Moffat.

--------------------------------

Now... the score: I guess Arnold's business means, more likely than not, that Mendes gets his choice of composer through the door -- fair trade, I guess, for Tariq Anwar, if it comes to that.

#58 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 11:09 AM

Ayway, James Bond....

You are right, and of course, isn't it David Arnold? He tends to do the same with Bond. That's my only criticism of Arnold. He overscores. Watch the PTS of Die Another Day. On second thoughts....don't.

----------

#59 Peckinpah1976

Peckinpah1976

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 351 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 12:04 PM

Ayway, James Bond....

You are right, and of course, isn't it David Arnold? He tends to do the same with Bond. That's my only criticism of Arnold. He overscores. Watch the PTS of Die Another Day. On second thoughts....don't.

----------

When I talk about David Arnold I specifically mean the scores for the Craig films (which are both excellent IMO); Bond movies need a big sound though, Doctor Who doesn't IMO.

You sure? I seem to remember Handy from "Journey's End", floaty Dobby-Doctor from "Last of the Time Lords", and the Doctor berating an elderly companion for making him save him from "The End of Time" to be far worse.

The Teselecta reveal, by comparison, rates a mere "Oh, that's it? Okay... now, what about this Trenzalore?", rather than a "Doctor, what the HELL are you doing? What-- I don't even..." *spluttering*. See the difference?

Even I'll admit this series' finale wasn't as good as last series', but it's nowhere near the level of ridiculousness we got before Moffat.

That's pretty much how I feel; I loved Moffat's first series (felt like 'Proper Who' for the first time since 2005) but this year has been a bit of a mess (the bad mainly when River Song turned up...). Never understood all the love for Tennant, I can only assume that his fanabse is mainly people who never saw the original series, as he doesn't resemble the character I know and love in any way.

Edited by Peckinpah1976, 03 November 2011 - 12:11 PM.

#60 Ace Roberts

Ace Roberts

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 433 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 12:46 PM

So, no mention of who the composer is at the press conference or the official press release. That is odd - in my opinion.