This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

David Arnold on 'Skyfall'...

319 replies to this topic

Poll: David Arnold on 'Skyfall'...

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Who would you like to Score Skyfall?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:41 AM

I asked David on Twitter if he was planning to return to score Bond 23, his reply...

DavidGArnold
@matthewharkin90 no news yet
Nov 01, 12:37 AM via Echofon

So, whether this means, he hasn't been asked to return yet, or he isn't going to give out any information on the subject, I don't know. Just thought I should report, anyway. :)

Edited by Mharkin, 12 November 2011 - 10:31 PM.

#2 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:29 AM

That's interesting. So he's not going to be involved with the press conference. I suppose that's normal. In previous years the music has always been one of the last elements of the film to be completed. Still, it fits in with the rumor that Mendes wants to bring in a different composer.

Edit: Oh, I see the ambiguity now. "No news" could mean "My lips are sealed." Well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Personally I'd like a change in the music department. Arnold is okay, but he basically does the same thing again and again.

#3 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:40 AM

I´d love a new sound. I like Arnold, he´s a fan. And he has done some good work now and then. But if Mendes brings someone new for this one I won´t loose spleep over it. Anyway, is it strange that Arnold hasn´t been called yet? (if he hasn´t been called) Shouldn´t they be discussing the "tone" of the piece or something like that? Or is it too soon?

Edited by univex, 01 November 2011 - 02:41 AM.

#4 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:44 AM

Sounds more like noone has gotten back to him yet. We'll see. Nice of him to reply.

#5 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:46 AM

I think a lot of his avilablity will hinge on his commitments to the 2012 Olympics. And if forced to choose working on the Games or scoring another Bond film, I think Arnold would pick the Olympics.

#6 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:50 AM

Well in that case then, I'm really excited to hear a new sound for Bond 23. Thomas Newman is still at the top of my list.

#7 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:51 AM

Well in that case then, I'm really excited to hear a new sound for Bond 23. Thomas Newman is still at the top of my list.

:tup:

#8 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:58 AM

Or Murray Gold for that matter, although It probably won't happen. The 50th Anniversary of Doctor Who is approaching, and Gold is pretty much tied up in that, and Series 7.

He's brilliant at integrating established themes though.

0:45

4:05

Vale Decem is also brilliant.

#9 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:00 AM

Well in that case then, I'm really excited to hear a new sound for Bond 23.

On the flip side, it may be possible to do both. I said that if given the choice, Arnold would probably take the Olympics gig (because how often would he get to do that?), not that he had been put in a position where he was forced to choose.

And the big problem with replacing Arnold is that no other names have been thrown around in connection to the job. Maybe the usual suspects are too tied up in casting and title rumours and/or feel that the composer isn't really worth chasing down compared to actors (because who aside from the fans really cares for the composer?), but there's been on word on who might fill the vacancy.

#10 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:17 AM

What a kind reply. Maybe find out Thursday...maybe...

....Shark should be getting his hopes up super high right about now.............

#11 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:22 AM

I saw his name in italics at the bottom of this thread earlier. He was obviously going to post something, but he logged off before sending it through.

#12 Murcaldy

Murcaldy

Cadet

• Crew
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:51 AM

I'd love to hear Gabriel Yared or Philip Glass composing some music for Bond (at least the slow paced scenes score). If we already have Sam Mendes, why not? They're so much better than David Arnold.

#13 d21089

d21089

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:05 AM

the composer can probably wait til next year - doesn't sound like he's a shoe in though as he once might have been

#14 mister-white

mister-white

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 231 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:22 AM

Sam Mendes seems to use Thomas Newman almost exclusively (I think there's only been one exception and that one had a lot of source music - don't remember the name of the film though). And I've thought in the past that he should be on the radar for a Bond score, so who knows?

#15 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:15 AM

Elliot Goldenthal, Christopher Young, Don Davis, Alberto Iglesias or Lalo Schifrin. Those are my top candidates.

#16 Col. Sun

Col. Sun

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:25 AM

Elliot Goldenthal, Christopher Young, Don Davis, Alberto Iglesias or Lalo Schifrin. Those are my top candidates.

I have a strong feeling that Mendes is going for a new composer and Arnold is out of this one.

#17 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:47 PM

I think he'll be back.

#18 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:14 PM

I'm with Royal Dalton. If Marc Forster couldn't get rid of him when they axed all the regulars I doubt Mendes will.

#19 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:22 PM

I'm with Royal Dalton. If Marc Forster couldn't get rid of him when they axed all the regulars I doubt Mendes will.

Is there any record that Forster tried to have him removed? I mean, maybe he was impressed enough by Arnold to keep him on-board. And the end result was not bad - QUANTUM OF SOALCE was easily one of Arnold's best scores.

#20 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:24 PM

Frankly, I don't care at this point.
But someone but Arnold would be nice once in a while.

#21 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:45 PM

I wouldn't be upset if Arnold returned; he knows what he's doing.

#22 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:51 PM

I wouldn't be upset if Arnold returned; he knows what he's doing.

This. And he loves doing it.

#23 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:52 PM

Arnold will probably return, though i'd rather we mix things up a bit and go for someone new.

Alexandre Desplat did some magnificent work on Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2, and on The Ides of March. Would love him to give Bond 23 a crack.

#24 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:41 PM

Desplat would be brilliant, actually.

#25 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:58 PM

A lot of the Deathly Hallows Part 2 score was recycled from previous Williams and Hooper scores; may want to judge him more on Part 1, which didn't impress me so much...

#26 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:05 PM

A lot of the Deathly Hallows Part 2 score was recycled from previous Williams and Hooper scores; may want to judge him more on Part 1, which didn't impress me so much...

No matter, the point is it sounded fantastic. Though Mendes will probably stick to Thomas whatshisface again...

#27 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:11 PM

I think he'll be back.

I will take that bet surprisingly. Though I'd put my odds at a slim 4:3

#28 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:17 PM

Yes, but it's still his own work. He's the one who integrated the reccuring themes into the soundtrack. Which were a really nice touch, actually. Plus, Lilly's Theme is one of the most beautiful pieces of music I've heard.

That's just like saying you can't judge Arnold because he's used the Bond theme, which was Monty Normans.

#29 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:37 PM

If Arnold comes back, I'd be wanting something akin to his TND score.

Not as much Bond theme as that (still a decent portion), but in the same welcoming spirit.

#30 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:39 PM

Yes, but it's still his own work. He's the one who integrated the reccuring themes into the soundtrack. Which were a really nice touch, actually. Plus, Lilly's Theme is one of the most beautiful pieces of music I've heard.

That's just like saying you can't judge Arnold because he's used the Bond theme, which was Monty Normans.

Was it Monty Norman's though? HA, only joking, let's not get into that. I agree, Lily's theme is a proper tear-jerker.

I'm championing Desplat to get the gig. odds: 120/1.