358 replies to this topic

#301 pgram

pgram

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:53 PM

Actually, that's not a bad idea. What if the bearded Bond was the PTS, based a year or so after the events of Quantum of Solace. After the main title sequence, we skip to the present day.

Maybe the bearded Craig plays Bond's dad :P

#302 mattjoes

mattjoes

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 243 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:00 PM

And among all this excitement, it's easy to forget that today John Barry would've been 78 years old. I raise my martini to The Man with the Midas Touch.

#303 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:05 PM

That could be Craig's final Bond film...

He said in the press event he'd do a couple more.

#304 AgentBentley

AgentBentley

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:11 AM

Just like Bond, I'm back after a long absence.
I must say I'm pleased to hear almost everything that's been said about the new movie, except that its title is a bit bland.
But in the end, it's the movie that counts. If it's as good as its actors, we should not be worried.

Edited by AgentBentley, 04 November 2011 - 07:12 AM.

#305 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 11:36 AM

Not sure if it's been mentioned but Coming Soon posted the following information in August - two Bond girls, including one "beautiful English agent" and a "beautiful Asian woman" called Severin. I think the latter was debunked at the time due to its similarity to Severyn Hyde, but it makes quite interesting reading now - wonder if Marlohe's character will remain Asian, or adapted to be more European.

#306 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:11 PM

Not sure if it's been mentioned but Coming Soon posted the following information in August - two Bond girls, including one "beautiful English agent" and a "beautiful Asian woman" called Severin. I think the latter was debunked at the time due to its similarity to Severyn Hyde, but it makes quite interesting reading now - wonder if Marlohe's character will remain Asian, or adapted to be more European.

Wow...the rumors were really dead on this time round.

#307 Peaceful

Peaceful

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:30 PM

Couldn't find a thread on the cast list, so I thought I'd post on this one ... on the SKYFALL imdb page, it has added James Remar to the cast list.
Anyone read this elsewhere?

#308 d21089

d21089

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:42 PM

on that note (James Remar is also in 'Dexter'), I wonder if Michael C. Hall will pop up in a Bond movie one of these days... doing what I don't know

#309 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:22 PM

Couldn't find a thread on the cast list, so I thought I'd post on this one ... on the SKYFALL imdb page, it has added James Remar to the cast list.
Anyone read this elsewhere?

Interesting. I did a search, and his name shows up in this article too (though its possible they just copied names off the imdb):

http://www.altfg.com...-naomie-harris/

#310 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:03 AM

I picked this up on the other forums: a journalist who was at the press conference reckons that Javier Bardem will play a character named Damien Joel Ristori. Apparently he spotted it at the conference on a program or a reference note of some kind that was up on the cast table. I'm having a little trouble confirming this, because I'm getting the information second hand and can't find the journalist in question (apparently he works in radio). I also find it a little difficult to believe that EON would simply leave the name lying around on a piece of paper - especially when they didn't actually name Bardem's character at the press conference, so why would it be written down?

Still, it's an interesting little tidbit of information ...

#311 d21089

d21089

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:26 AM

Here is a review of 'The Living Daylights' by someone named Damien Ristori - honestly, i think he was probably a journo, blogger or photog at the conference or it'll be a fun day for one Bond fan

My link

#312 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:47 AM

I picked this up on the other forums: a journalist who was at the press conference reckons that Javier Bardem will play a character named Damien Joel Ristori. Apparently he spotted it at the conference on a program or a reference note of some kind that was up on the cast table. I'm having a little trouble confirming this, because I'm getting the information second hand and can't find the journalist in question (apparently he works in radio). I also find it a little difficult to believe that EON would simply leave the name lying around on a piece of paper - especially when they didn't actually name Bardem's character at the press conference, so why would it be written down?

Still, it's an interesting little tidbit of information ...

I think this could be true.

It’s quite probable that they each had in front of them a (short) list of things they were permitted to say, if asked.
Naomi and Bernice only said their character names when asked directly by Baz. Nobody asked Bardem.

#313 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:55 AM

Fair point, but I don't know why EON would leave it lying around. It makes more sense for them to tell the actors what they can and cannot say. Anything that gets written down can get out.

#314 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:58 AM

Fair point, but I don't know why EON would leave it lying around. It makes more sense for them to tell the actors what they can and cannot say. Anything that gets written down can get out.

My point is, that the things that were written down were allowed to get out, with all that went on, it just didn’t happen.

#315 Shamelord

Shamelord

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:01 AM

A a French man, noting how Berenice Marlohe pronounced her character's name, you can't exclude it's really the Frecnh first name Séverine. Wait and see

#316 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:12 AM

Unless they do for Marlohe what they did for Connery in YOLT, I'd say her character probably won't be Asian.

#317 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:13 AM

Hmmmm, the meaning of Severine - the "French feminine form of Severinus", which is a surname derived from "Severus", which in turn is another family name meaning "stern". I wonder if Severine will be a particularly stern woman. But I'm just happy to know that it is an actual name. I was concerned when talk of the name first emerged, given its similarity to "Severan" in CARTE BLANCHE.

#318 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:38 AM

Severin will NOT be asian.

This is Marlohe's first English speaking film role. They aren't going to complicate things further by making her sound asian, they'll struggle enough as it is getting her to actually get her english vowels sound right and actually, you know- act.

#319 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:43 AM

You don't say.

Posted Image

It's a little difficult to cast a non-Asian actor in an Asian role.

#320 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:45 AM

You don't say.

Posted Image

Well exactly, but i wonder why people keep going on about it.

#321 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:54 AM

The original reports suggesting that there would be a character named "Severin" stated that the character would be Asian, even though Severine is a French name (though I supposed French-Vietnamese is always an option). But beyond that, I'm in the dark. Marlohe clearly isn't Asian, so that should have been enough to quell any doubts. And I'm not sure EON would go in for someone with an exotic heritage so soon after the Bolivian-Russian Camille (which I suspect was written into the script when Olga Kurylenko couldn't quite get rid of her Ukranian accent).

#322 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:12 AM

Hmmmm, the meaning of Severine - the "French feminine form of Severinus", which is a surname derived from "Severus", which in turn is another family name meaning "stern". I wonder if Severine will be a particularly stern woman. But I'm just happy to know that it is an actual name. I was concerned when talk of the name first emerged, given its similarity to "Severan" in CARTE BLANCHE.

I don't know how much we can deduce much from the character's first name. It sounds to me like a typical "sexy" name, like they'd give to a femme fatale or a villain's moll. They aren't going to call her Mavis McGee.

Names derived from "Severus" are still pretty common among speakers of Romance languages, but if anything they have a slightly fusty connotation, like an English person named "Ethelbert". There was a Severo at my high school, and my uncle employed a guy named Severiano. He wore a sweater vest. I remember thinking, "This guy isn't very severe. I'm more severe than this guy." Don't be disappointed if Severine turns out to be a bubbly young lady who enjoys cosplaying and needlepoint.

#323 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:28 AM

I know. I just found it intersting.

#324 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:46 AM

You don't say.

Posted Image

I suspect that the Chinese connection is the source of the "Asian Bond girl" rumor. And I suppose it's still possible that a Chinese actress will be cast, thus fulfilling that prophecy. A few prominent names were mentioned in recent weeks, but since the press conference there's been nothing about it. Presumably, if a sizable portion of the film is going to take place in China, there will have to be a few Chinese actors involved! Unless they plan to go full-on Mickey Rooney.

#325 Mercator

Mercator

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 365 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 05:31 PM

Try of tell this to Joseph Wiseman!

I was concerned when talk of the name first emerged, given its similarity to "Severan" in CARTE BLANCHE.

This still concerns of me. Why so simliar the name so soon? This film was maybe to be shooting in South Africa too, same so as Carte Blanche also. Who steals from who?

Edited by Mercator, 05 November 2011 - 05:34 PM.

#326 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:02 PM

Good to see you back Mercator...

#327 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:05 PM

So the title has officially grown on me as of today. Now I can't imagine a world without a Bond film called Skyfall. :)

#328 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:36 PM

So the title has officially grown on me as of today. Now I can't imagine a world without a Bond film called Skyfall. :)

Funny how that works. I was thinking the same thing this morning. :tup:

#329 Chicago103

Chicago103

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 90 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:10 PM

I wonder if Skyfall is going to have anything to do with skyscrapers, that is a something that really hasn't been used in Bond films too much, besides A View To A Kill and Tomorrow Never Dies.

#330 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:13 PM

Funny how that works. I was thinking the same thing this morning. :tup:

Make that 3 converts :D