This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Daniel Craig to be thrown straight into action!

155 replies to this topic

#151 British Chap

British Chap

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 263 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:57 PM

That's why I suggested the Millenium Bridge collapsing while Bond is on is and plunging into the Thames.

So you go around instantly discounting that perhaps the movie has been influenced by "Carte Blanche,"...

Well, that seems fair given the statement of denial from Eon. I tend to believe them.

"The new film is not going to be called Carte Blanche and will have nothing to do with the Jeffery Deaver book."

Indeed. Although that is the official line no matter what. And inspiration is so difficult to attribute. As we all know, lots of pieces of Bond films have seemingly come from continuation novels. Or was it independent innovation? Hard to say. Eon would say the latter.

Edit: Case in point- http://www.thebookbo...s.html?spref=fb

Versus touting some random millenium bridge theory, mine is at least not worthy of instantly shooting down. It has happened before. It will happen again someday.

Edited by British Chap, 16 November 2011 - 12:14 AM.

#152 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:28 AM

Versus touting some random millenium bridge theory, mine is at least not worthy of instantly shooting down.

No, but your attitude is worth being shot down straight away. If you keep it up, nothing you say is going to be worth considering.

When I suggested my "random millenium bridge theory", it was based on what we already know about the film (it is shooting in London, and the bridge is perfectly positioned between two locations where we know filming has taken place) and the article posted (suggesting a tribute to a fight on a rope bridge). I simply found a way to connect the two - the Millenium Bridge is a footbridge that looks like a rickety rope bridge. More importantly, it was only done in fun. You, however, have been quite rude about it, and you're taking it quite personally.

And just so you know, I did consider your theory. Then I shot it down. Your theory is that because there are parallels between the films and the continuation novels, there will be parallels between the Bond films and other franchises. Which is a bit like saying "apples and oranges are both fruits, so therefore, apples and oranges are both citrus fruits".

#153 British Chap

British Chap

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 263 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:44 AM

Versus touting some random millenium bridge theory, mine is at least not worthy of instantly shooting down.

No, but your attitude is worth being shot down straight away. If you keep it up, nothing you say is going to be worth considering.

When I suggested my "random millenium bridge theory", it was based on what we already know about the film (it is shooting in London, and the bridge is perfectly positioned between two locations where we know filming has taken place) and the article posted (suggesting a tribute to a fight on a rope bridge). I simply found a way to connect the two - the Millenium Bridge is a footbridge that looks like a rickety rope bridge. More importantly, it was only done in fun. You, however, have been quite rude about it, and you're taking it quite personally.

And just so you know, I did consider your theory. Then I shot it down. Your theory is that because there are parallels between the films and the continuation novels, there will be parallels between the Bond films and other franchises. Which is a bit like saying "apples and oranges are both fruits, so therefore, apples and oranges are both citrus fruits".

I apologize if my attitude came off poorly. I was taken aback by the implied attitude in your response to my post and then jarred by the fact that you then went on to post a wild-goose theory that you had, based on limited, and seemingly wrongly appropriated, evidence, with great amounts of insistence and certainty. Seemed hypocritical to me. As always though, tone is very difficult to pick up via the internet.

Moreover, I believe you have confused my theory. I believe that there could be parallels between this and Carte Blanche because there appears to be parallels between this and Carte Blanche. There is an attack on London, the damage to the extras is in line with the razor-blade doomsday device that the villain of the novel used, and the name Severin has showed up. There is at least as much there as there is to your bridge theory.

The point about the material being borrowed from other continuation novels was in no way meant to be a validation of the above theory. Rather, it was a response to the line "the producers have said this isn't inspired by Carte Blanche." Clearly, they have said that a lot, and you would be hard pressed to find any quote stating they were using a continuation novel as insperation, but yet they have arguably drawn from them a lot. Therefore, past experience merely proves that the theory can not be discounted because the company line is that they dont borrow from IFP.

Edit- I'm not sure what this plus/minus stuff is, but minus one for this post? Maybe the other ones, but this one? No more critical than the one directly above it.

Edited by British Chap, 16 November 2011 - 01:31 AM.

#154 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:35 AM

This works both ways. Rein yourself in. People are speculating for the fun of it, not for some sort of validation or mark out of ten from you, son.

#155 Luigi Ferrari

Luigi Ferrari

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:29 PM

http://britmovietour...ory/james-bond/
Ok Bondmaniacs, it seems that we have something to discuss at last! Now we know that probably Bond is going to meet M in a sort of medical laboratory of MI6. Ideas? Is there the possibility that London will be a biological attack victim?

#156 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:03 PM

Interview with Rory Kinnear

http://www.cultbox.c...irror-interview

You’re currently filming the new James Bond film, Skyfall, returning as M's Chief of Staff, Bill Tanner. How’s that going so far?

"Great, we’ve just been at Pinewood and around Waterloo and Spitalfields doing some scenes with myself and Daniel [Craig] and Judi [Dench]. I go through to the beginning of February filming and I think they’re on until about April or May."

That sounds like a fairly long shoot for you, does this mean that we see a bit more of Tanner this time around?

"Yes, Tanner gets a bit more facetime this time, it’s a bit more beefed-up. He’s basically performing the same role but there’s a bit more of him."

There’s a lot of excitement surrounding the film with the 50th anniversary coming up; is that excitement present on set as well?

"I think everyone’s generally just really excited about the script and how good it is - and we’ve got Sam [Mendes] directing.

"Obviously this is now my second one so I know how Daniel and Judi work. We all seem to get on very well so it feels like I’m becoming slightly more part of the family."

Did you expect to return to the role of Tanner after Quantum of Solace?

"No, I wasn’t contracted to do any more so I guess I knew there was a possibility but I didn’t expect it, no."

In the books, Tanner is Bond’s best friend – would you like to see that dynamic develop onscreen?

"I don’t know, the Tanner of Quantum of Solace wasn’t really the Tanner of the books, so I guess it’s a new kind of role. He’s not the same age as Bond, as I think he is in the books, but I think in this film their relationship does develop, yes."