This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Daniel Craig to be thrown straight into action!

155 replies to this topic

#31 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:32 AM

Wouldn't have thought so; it was in the films even when the deal with BMW was running.

That´s true. Pierce drove it in TND, from Oxford right? Plus, the GE chase is allways a classic. I´d love to see the DB5 back :tup:

#32 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 02:06 AM

First Jag since Zao´s?
:tup:

No, LeChiffre, White and Greene all traveled in a Jaguar XJ.

#33 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 02:09 AM

First Jag since Zao´s?
:tup:

No, LeChiffre, White and Greene all traveled in a Jaguar XJ.

Oh yeah, that´s true :tup: Company car? ;)

#34 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 02:23 AM

You know what I'd really like to see in this chase (if it indeed happens)?

I'd like to see Bond driving something other than a current-model car. Sure, a C-X16 and an Evoque would be nice, but central London isn't populated exclusively by F1-inspired sports cars and Rooneymobiles. Especially if Bond is on the move and simply having to take whatever car comes available. So maybe he could start in the C-X16, but change to a first-generation Freelander (circa 1998) or some such.

#35 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 02:38 AM

You know what I'd really like to see in this chase (if it indeed happens)?

I'd like to see Bond driving something other than a current-model car. Sure, a C-X16 and an Evoque would be nice, but central London isn't populated exclusively by F1-inspired sports cars and Rooneymobiles. Especially if Bond is on the move and simply having to take whatever car comes available. So maybe he could start in the C-X16, but change to a first-generation Freelander (circa 1998) or some such.

Ugly car if you ask me. Much prefer the evoque. Besides, an almost 14 year old car? I know the freelander holds up very well, but still, why would land rover want to have Bond in a 14 year old model? Brand endurace? Central London is filled with interesting cars. You see all kinds there. Loads of Rooneymobiles like you say. Loads. I´d rather have an evoque vs a xf. I don´t know why Bond would trade a c-X16 for a 14yr old freelander (maybe for ramming purposes) but I don´t know why Bond would be in a c-x16 in the first place. Time and script will tell I suppose. Still, I dislike the 1998 freelander, just wanted to share that :D But I do understand where you´re coming from Cap, an older car, not a new model, sure, I can see it work just fine :)

Edited by univex, 16 October 2011 - 02:39 AM.

#36 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 02:51 AM

Well, it worked in QUANTUM OF SOLACE. Bond was driving something from the mid-1990s in Haiti, largely because you don't find too many sports cars in Port-au-Prince. I'm just afraid that if Bond only ever drives the current model of vehicle from any given manufacturer, then it would look like an advertisement.

#37 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 02:53 AM

Well, it worked in QUANTUM OF SOLACE. Bond was driving something from the mid-1990s in Haiti, largely because you don't find too many sports cars in Port-au-Prince. I'm just afraid that if Bond only ever drives the current model of vehicle from any given manufacturer, then it would look like an advertisement.

That is true. Oh how I would have prefered he´d have driven an old car, any old car, instead of that mondeo in CR ;) But central London isn´t quite Port-au-Prince :) Only the other day I was near a pub in soho, something´s head or something´s arms :D , and I saw a brand new rolls, white, strolling by. Listen, I´m just saying I want my Bond film to be exotic. Have a chase in central London with a rolls and a bentley, or an evoque and a cool cat. Just let it be iconic and fun. There´s nothing iconic about a freelander, nor fun. IMO of course. I drive a small alfa, even that is more fun :D I wouldn´t mind if Bond drove an old Jag in the chase, now that would be a cool cat, right? ;) An XKSS, TCK would love that :D So would jaguar007 :tup:

Edited by univex, 16 October 2011 - 03:03 AM.

#38 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 03:06 AM

I didn't really have a problem with the choice of the Mondeo. It was an appropriate choice, given that it was a hire car. The problem was the opening shot, where the Ford logo was visible.

I still think it's a bad idea to have two current models for the chase scene. I only used the 1998 Freelander as an example of an older-model car that could be used.

#39 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 03:13 AM

I didn't really have a problem with the choice of the Mondeo. It was an appropriate choice, given that it was a hire car. The problem was the opening shot, where the Ford logo was visible.

I agree.

I still think it's a bad idea to have two current models for the chase scene. I only used the 1998 Freelander as an example of an older-model car that could be used.

I know, I just think that, if they use old models, at least they could be iconic, classic models. Can you imagine Bond commandeering a jaguar type-e? How cool would that be? ;) Particulary if he chose it because it would be fun and effective in the case context. Bond has to have fun while doing his job, that´s the essence of it IMO.

PS: and yes Captain, ferraris are too flashy ;) Ups, mixing forums here :D Univex out :tup:

Edited by univex, 16 October 2011 - 03:18 AM.

#40 DominicGreene

DominicGreene

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 02:26 PM

Wait, how would a range rover ever be able to catch up to a Jaguar?

#41 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 02:41 PM

Traffic ;)
...or
Given the not so recent fuel crisis, maybe the jag was running low on gas :D

#42 DominicGreene

DominicGreene

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 03:52 PM

Traffic ;)
...or

Hehe, not a bad idea Univex, not a bad idea ;) That would actually be cool to see them race in traffic, while the jaguar and range rover smash into mulitple cars, although, M and Q won't be too pleased about it :S

#43 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 04:00 PM

Traffic ;)
...or

Hehe, not a bad idea Univex, not a bad idea ;) That would actually be cool to see them race in traffic, while the jaguar and range rover smash into mulitple cars, although, M and Q won't be too pleased about it :S

Central London Car Caos plus a super car running low on gas :D

PS: IMO, The new DBS carbon edition in ceramic grey is awesome! http://www.astonmartin.com/

#44 DominicGreene

DominicGreene

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 04:34 PM

Traffic ;)
...or

PS: IMO, The new DBS carbon edition in ceramic grey is awesome! http://www.astonmartin.com/

I hope the Aston Martin comes back :tup: Especially in that sexy ceramic grey, but Bond's probably going to wreck it :( I wouldn't mind Bond driving a Jaguar though, but I feel like Jaguar is a rip off of Aston Martin.

#45 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:33 PM

Because Bond isn't chasing one in the other - he's going to drive both at some point.

#46 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:35 PM

I wonder if this stunt will be the climax of the teaser trailer. Just like the fall/spin/shoot moment in the Quantum of Solace one.

#47 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 01:22 AM

The more news I read about the upcoming scheduled production begin date, I get a smile on my face.

#48 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 02:31 AM

Is The Sun smart enough to know that Jag and Landrover are owned by the same parent company? The fact that both these brands were mentioned does lend some credibility to the articles, as it would make perfect sense to have a licensing deal with with one major car company.

I don't know about The Sun, per se, but the 2008 sale of Jaguar and Land Rover to Tata was covered pretty closely in the U.K.

Traffic ;)
...or

I hope the Aston Martin comes back :tup: Especially in that sexy ceramic grey, but Bond's probably going to wreck it :( I wouldn't mind Bond driving a Jaguar though, but I feel like Jaguar is a rip off of Aston Martin.

Until 2007, Aston Martn and Jaguar had the same owner (Ford Motor Co.). In its last year of ownership, Ford attempted to jazz up Jaguar design and there were some similarities of design.

#49 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:22 AM

I doubt the Jag will be "Bond's car" for the movie. If he's jumping to it from a Land Rover and both are moving, then someone else is driving.

And nobody drive's Bond's car except Bond.

...Unless they're Jack Wade.

#50 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:35 AM

I doubt the Jag will be "Bond's car" for the movie. If he's jumping to it from a Land Rover and both are moving, then someone else is driving.

I don't think that's what the scene is supposed to entail. I get the sense that Bond will start the chase in one car, and will have to get into another car at some point - just not on the move. For example, if an accident blocks Bond's path, or if his car is taken out, he'll be forced to get out of his car and commandeer another.
Spoiler

#51 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:27 AM

...Unless they're Jack Wade.

or Tracy.

#52 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:53 AM

Don't be stupid; anyone that has the amazing technical proficiency to build a Formula One car; even one that doesn't win every race -and certainly one that doesn't come last- is hardly bad at building cars. F1 is the pinnacle of racing car development; even the lesser ones are still amazing cars.

The Williams FW33 is an embarrasment. When your car is so poor that the single most experienced driver in the sport - Rubens Barrichello, who will go into his twentieth season in 2012 - cannot give you any developmental feedback to make the car better, you know you're doing soemthing wrong.

It's an F1 car; that means it's amazing.
Even if you're the worst of the best (and it ain't the worst), it's still one of the best.

Range Rovers are very fast, powerful cars. Jags and Range Rovers even share engines.
They're more evenly matched than an Aston DBS and an Alfa 159, anyway!

#53 Marketto007

Marketto007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2487 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:07 AM

I wonder if this stunt will be the climax of the teaser trailer. Just like the fall/spin/shoot moment in the Quantum of Solace one.

Same here.

xxx

#54 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 01:33 PM

I´m wondering how this will turn out. When I read about this (changing cars) I immediately thought of the KOTCS-sequence in which Indy goes from motorcycle into a car and back on a motorcycle.

#55 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 02:26 PM

I´m wondering how this will turn out. When I read about this (changing cars) I immediately thought of the KOTCS-sequence in which Indy goes from motorcycle into a car and back on a motorcycle.

Guess, its a fact, that there is very little, that hasn't been done before, may it be B ond or other films. Personally I rather watch something, I have seen before, if its well done, then having them think of something new, that might turn out over the top and often ridiculous.

#56 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:43 PM

I believe EON will have thought of a new spin here, so my comment was not intended as criticism, just curiosity.

#57 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 04:05 PM

I really don't want this 'chase' in Smithfields to be the pre-titles sequence. We've already had an excellent chase in QOS in the PTS, it'd be nice to open with something a little different this time.

The problem is, as its in Smithfields, London, it'll definitely be at the beginning of the film before he jets of to South Africa or Istabul or wherever the hell Bond's going this time.

#58 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 04:08 PM

I'm thinking it may be the 2nd action sequence in the film. We're probably gonna be getting one for the PTS, and since Bond is usually in London pretty early on in the film, I think it'll be the first action chase after the main title sequence.

#59 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 04:34 PM

I'm loving this news. As a born and bread Londoner, I'll head over to Smithfields, and take some pics on my smartphone.

Last time I checked, London ain't a third world city (yet).

#60 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 04:38 PM

I'm thinking it may be the 2nd action sequence in the film. We're probably gonna be getting one for the PTS, and since Bond is usually in London pretty early on in the film, I think it'll be the first action chase after the main title sequence.

Yes I suppose that makes sense. It'll be nice to see some action in London, haven't seen anything like that since TWINE.