155 replies to this topic

#151 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:08 PM

LTK was more Beverly Hills Cop than Bond.

#152 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:39 PM

Well, at least this comment departs from the stale Miami Vice comparisons. Not that it makes it any more valid.

#153 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:11 PM

Well, at least this comment departs from the stale Miami Vice comparisons. Not that it makes it any more valid.

That pretty much sums me up in a nutshell. ;)

#154 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:12 PM

License to Kill was awesome in my opinion.. :)

#155 L4YRCAKE

L4YRCAKE

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:54 PM

I just rewatched the Dalton era Bonds for the first time since I can remember and was really surprised how great they were. LTK in particular was angry and emotional, gruesomely violent in places, lacking in many of the typical Bond cliches, and well paced, the editing in particular really impressed by just how lean it moved. Looked great too. It had a take no prisoners feel to it that Bond audiences perhaps just weren't ready for that close to the Roger Moore era.

Also, Dalton's Bond is probably the last time we see the character as an unapologetic smoker.

Now I definitely have to go research what Dalton's plans for Bond were that never reached fruition.

#156 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:44 AM

I just rewatched the Dalton era Bonds for the first time since I can remember and was really surprised how great they were. LTK in particular was angry and emotional, gruesomely violent in places, lacking in many of the typical Bond cliches, and well paced, the editing in particular really impressed by just how lean it moved. Looked great too. It had a take no prisoners feel to it that Bond audiences perhaps just weren't ready for that close to the Roger Moore era.

Also, Dalton's Bond is probably the last time we see the character as an unapologetic smoker.

Now I definitely have to go research what Dalton's plans for Bond were that never reached fruition.

Dalton is one of my favorites, too. I wish he could have entered the series at an earlier point. Here's a good analysis of his work, contrasting it with Fleming's writing: http://www.hmss.com/films/memory/