14 replies to this topic

#1 00Kevin

00Kevin

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 02:31 AM

I've always been curious about this but I couldn't find any information anywhere (even on wikipedia's cancelled bond games and TND game pages) so I decided to do a little digging and wrote up with short essay. Hope you find it informative!

The original VHS release of Tomorrow Never Dies featured a brief trailer with Desmond Llewelyn which highlighted a game that would "start where the film ends." Footage shows bond skiing, scuba diving and driving in third person and on a first person shooting mission. The game was to come out on Playstation and PC in the fall of 1998 and was being made by MGM Interactive, not EA; EA was not involved in Bond until November of that year.

A Tomorrow Never Dies game was finally released on November 16th 1999, distributed by EA, but with notably differences from the 1998 attempt. The game was a third person shooter with the scuba diving level nowhere to be found. But perhaps the most glaring difference was the fact that the story now followed the plot of the film, not the continuation that had been promised.

A level in the game sees Bond skiing down a mountain and killing a Japanese terrorist named Sotoshi Isagura (who had featured very briefly in the film), while on another stage Bond has a driving mission in Switzerland. These were not from the film and may have survived from the 'continuation' story.

Sources:
(TND game commercial from the TND VHS)
http://media.psx.ign...310/imgs_7.html (early screens, feb-may 1998)
http://psx.ign.com/a...5/065832p1.html (EA partnership with MGM Interactive, Nov 1998)

Edited by 00Kevin, 06 September 2011 - 02:33 AM.

#2 Miles Miservy

Miles Miservy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 07:00 PM

Of all the 007 games available, this one's by far, the lamest (next to 007 Racing I suppose). It should be left by the wayside to be sold at some tag sale or other.

#3 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 07:19 PM

This is really interesting! This would make a great main page story.Nice work. :tup:

#4 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:18 AM

I believe this project ultimately became the TOMORROW NEVER DIES game.

A level in the game sees Bond skiing down a mountain and killing a Japanese terrorist named Sotoshi Isagura (who had featured very briefly in the film), while on another stage Bond has a driving mission in Switzerland. These were not from the film and may have survived from the 'continuation' story.

I remember my brother and a friend of his rented TOMORROW NEVER DIES once, and we all played it. These missions were worked into the existing story for TOMORROW NEVER DIES. The skiing sequence involved Bond entering a base of some kind in the Japanese mountains and tracking down Isagura, who was planning a chemical gas attack (possibly on the Nagano Winter Olympics) as a part of Carver's plan to manufacture news events to get headlines.

As for the mission in Switzerland, it involved hunting down and destroying a convoy of Carver's trucks en route to a secret meeting hosted by Henry Gupta. But the two missions were back-to-back, with the Switzerland missions coming before the Japan one. Then the story moved to Saigon, as it did in the film.

There was also an extra, additional level at the very start of the game. The film shows Bond already in the arms bazaar, but the game involves infiltrating it, wiping out a radar installation that was being used to locate and intercept GPS satellites, before skiing off a cliff with a parachute (complete with THE SPY WHO LOVED ME knock-off) and landing in the bazaar. I'd post a video, but I can only link to two ...

#5 00 Brosnan

00 Brosnan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:10 AM

I love my Playstation. I love it more than my N64. I have a decent library of both systems. However, EA really messed up with this game.

After the legendary and rare success Rareware had with GoldenEye on N64, they decide to not only totally change the gameplay, but release it as a PS1 exclusive w/ obviously inferior graphics and no multiplayer whatsoever. Not to mention the number of glitches in this game.

I bought the game when it first came out so I have some nostalgic feelings w/ the game (not as much as GE64 though), but EA really botched their first attempt at Bond.

#6 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:49 PM

Absoloutely adore this gsme! I know it's not that well received but it's just full of nostalgic memories for me.

#7 Golddragon71

Golddragon71

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:54 AM

The Thing I remember most about TND was that it had it's own soundtrack album released
so you had a whopping Three Music CDs for the same movie
Tomorrow Never Dies Soundtrack Includes selected pieces from the score as well as both opening and closing Vocal Title Tracks (By Sheryl Crow and K.D. Lang respectively) as well as the James Bond theme performed by Moby
TND the Score A Second albumn containing all of the score pieces from the main soundtrack as well as addditional tracks from David Arnold's score taking the place of the Vocal tracks in the previous album as well as an interview with Arnold himself on his joining the Bond franchise
and finally the Video game Soundtrack (which I never got around to picking up so I can't comment on it per se)

#8 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:41 PM

I'd play millions to play this TND cancelled game, as well as the cancelled TWINE for PC and PS2.

#9 Double-0-Seven

Double-0-Seven

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2710 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:55 PM

I wish The World Is Not Enough for PS2 happened. I remember seeing early screenshots and reading about the development and getting really excited. Of course, the same engine was taken and they re-developed it as Agent Under Fire.

#10 bonds_walther

bonds_walther

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 419 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:14 PM

Interesting OP. Thanks!

As for the actual TND game, my god it was pants. My friends and I were still hooked on GE on the N64; this effort wasn't even close to that. The Playstation version of TWINE wasn't much better either...

#11 Shaun Forever

Shaun Forever

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1067 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:30 AM

It's absolutely tragic how Goldeneye 64 never got a proper sequel.

#12 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:47 AM

It did, it just didn't have James Bond in it: Perfect Dark.

#13 Trevelyan 006

Trevelyan 006

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:46 AM

It did, it just didn't have James Bond in it: Perfect Dark.

Which is also a great game. No GoldenEye 64 though.

I wish The World Is Not Enough for PS2 happened.

Now that, would've been something. I'd probably still return to PS2 to play it now and then if that had been the case (seeing as my Nintendo 64 has seen better days).

#14 Rich Douglas

Rich Douglas

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:04 AM

Yup.... I remember the only thing that i liked about TND on the playstation were parts of Tommy Tallaricos score. Pretty bad game all around. I did manage to pick up the games soundtrack CD back in '97 and would definitely recommend tracking down a copy... some pretty cool cues to be heard for sure.

Speaking of TND games, do any of you guys remember the officially made TND quake mod?? Now that....was pretty bad. But a very brave marketing tactic by MGM and great way to reach out to their younger viewers!

For those curious....Check this out. Wayback machine...gooooo!

http://web.archive.o...quakeindex.html

#15 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:39 AM

Yea, thats pretty grim. Definitely a low point for the virtual 007.