This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

The Living Daylights - Original Workprint.

21 replies to this topic

#1 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 12:29 AM

Hey guys, recently seen a rough cut of The Living Daylights, and me being the Bond fan I am, have listed many of the changes for you all. :)

• We all know about the gunbarrel, with Dalton jumping and stuff, so I won't say anymore about that.
  • Most of the film is unscored, obviously. Goldfinger and A View To A Kill soundtracks make an appearance in the PTS.
  • 004's death is slightly changed. There's no big reveal shot of Bond.
  • The shot of Bond meeting the woman at the end of the PTS is slightly extended. Instead of smiling on the phone, he hangs up, and stands back up and takes the glass from the woman.
  • Many lines have been redubbed. The woman in the PTS, Koskov in Bonds car, Q sounds a lot lower, and Necros' accent isn't disguised.
  • The Pretenders song is none existent.
  • There's a short scene of Koskov crying into his napkin at the safe house.
  • When Necros appears, there's a massive scene added where before the Milkman lets him go, he abruptly stops the van, and takes a bottle of milk and tells Necros to "Put it on the bill", Necros hastily tells him to take another bottle, because it's 'fresher'. We then see Bond leaving the safehouse as Necros is coming in.
  • Extended scene in M's office.

Bond: I took a split second decision. It was instinct.
    M: Or Accidie?
    Bond: Revoltion. With ones occupation.
    M: It happens to undertake (barely audible dialogue). Ah, I'll recall 008 from Hong Kong he doesn't know Pushkin so it will be easier for him. And you can take a fortnights leave.
  • Q telling Bond to get a move on in his lab.
  • The man getting up from behind the sofa when Q plays the trick on him.
  • The shot of Bond getting off the tram with the Cello Case, I don't think I've seen before. I could be wrong though.
  • Bond saying 'Blue Car' to Kara when she's looking across the street.
  • The Car Chase is completely cut, after the guy opens the phone booth door, we cut straight to Pushkin and Whitaker in Tangiers.
  • I THINK there's a new scene with Felix saying to his girls "We're recording something on remote camera girls!", if it was in the movie I can't remember it.
  • Whitaker saying "Very good!" to the saluting soldier is not there, he just looks up then back down to his food.
  • New scene with Bond and Kara entering Vienna in the back of a Lorry. It parks up opposite the fair ground, and Bond gets off, lifts Kara off, thanks the driver, then shouts for a taxi.
  • A rather awkward shot of Bond laughing in the carriage. Glad that was cut.
  • An extended scene with Kara and the dress. The assistant walks over to Bond and Kara, Bond tells Kara to try the dress on. Kara smiles.
  • Kara shouting 'THAT ONE!' when Bond wins her the bear isn't there, nor is the sound where Bond and Kara are scared by the jumping statue.
  • Bond line "I arranged it. We could be here all night." is a different take. as is "Don't think, just let it happen.", it sounds as if he's about to rape her. Glad that was altered.
  • After Saunders' death, the existing shot of Kara looking, was originally Kara running to Bond.
  • The owner of the Cafe says something about a cheque. Bond replies with "Better make that two!"
  • Kara saying 'WHERE ARE YOU GOING!?' When Bond runs past her chasing the what he thinks to be the assassin, is actually "What's the matter!?"
  • Bonds line "We leave first thing in the morning" is an alternate take, and there's no shot of Bond dragging Kara away. Instead, Bond walks away and leaves Kara behind.
  • When Bond confonts Pushkin, the scene doesn't move to Pushkins death, instead Bond goes back to visit Kara to get poisoned, omitting the whole Tangier's chase completely.
  • Extended scene of Bond being poisoned. When Bond goes down in the film the scene ends, in this one he gets back up and tries again to shoot, he then collapses. After Koskov says to Kara she was perfect, Koskov picks up Bonds gun, and Necros picks him up to put him on the stretcher.
  • Alternate shots of Bond in the ambulance. Too many to note.
  • Scene on the plane starting with a slow pan up to Bond in the chair unconscious, the heart is brought in by Koskov and Necros and placed infront of Kara. Koskov turns around and takes a look at Bond then enters the cockpit. Another exterior shot of the plane, and the scene with Bond unconscious from the released film is played.
  • "Diamonds...." not "Diamonds hidden in the Ice." Just "Diamonds...". Bond looks at Kara "Where are we going?", Kara replies "I don't know."
  • Instead of the film cutting to outside the plane, Bond smiles at Kara when she closes the lid. The shot of the plane was already used, because of the extra scene.
  • After Bond says "We have an old saying too, Georgi, and you're full of it." Koskov sniggers and Bond takes a sip of his coffee.
  • As the plane lands, the Colonel watching turns to nod at someone. This is cut just before in the film.
  • The Colonel getting kissed by Koskov shows both cheeks, and not the one.
  • After Koskov sends Kara away at the airbase, he says "Farewell, darling!"
  • The Prison Guard whistling to the keyring has been extended.
  • When Bond traps the guard in the cell, he says "Good job there's sound proofing! Wouldn't want to wake the Colonel."
  • Extra shot of Horses on the horizon, before they go to the Kamrans place.
  • Shot of Kara throwing her cap off in the suite her and Bond are in, and walking over to the bed.
  • Shot of Bond looking at Kara and smiling, as Kamran thanks them for their help.
  • When Kamran is telling Bond stuff is too risky the medium close up in the film, is now a long shot. There's a few shots from different angles as well, most notably Bond leaving the room and going to see Kara.
  • Bond lifting Kara around and kissing her on the sofa is not one continuous shot, at a weird high angle, well at the start anyway.
  • Cut to Whitakers place in Tangiers. Yes we skip to the end of the film, the whole action scene is gone. Flocks of birds fly up off the wall, instead of cutting to the security camera.
  • Establishing shot of building. We slowly zoom in to Felix on the boat just outside of Whitakers place. Shot of Bond climbing over the wall.
  • A rather long scene of Bond, from his POV, proceeding into Whitakers HQ, looking for him. Shots of him by the pool, moving quickly to the doors.
  • "You're finished Whitaker. If the Russians don't get you the Americans will. No place to hide. Personally, I'd take the Americans."
  • Koskovs delivery of "Colonel Pushkin!" is an alternate take, as are the rest of his lines in the final scene he's in.
  • Shots of Kara looking around the auditorium trying to find Bond. She can't see him.
  • Shot of Gogol shaking Kamrans hand saying "My pleasure!" after M announces him as a foreign minister. Long shot of Kara leaving. Gogol grabs Kamran into a half hug and says "And now. We can be friends!" They both walk off past M.
  • Kara whistling in her hotel suite for Bond. Bond whistling back(!). Bond and Kara kiss. The camera pans away so Bond and Kara are hidden by a stand. "Oh James." and then, a more orgasmic "Oh James!" as Karas clothes are flung over it.

There you go guys. :)

#2 Funkhauser

Funkhauser

Recruit

• Crew
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 12:46 AM

Is it true Necros is listening to ZZ Top instead of the Pretenders?

#3 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 12:50 AM

I'm not that big on music, so I wouldn't know. The music coming from his earphones is barely audible anyway.

#4 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 02:29 AM

List is completed. Loads of new stuff in there!

#5 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 10:35 AM

Sounds like, in the main, the final editorial choices were good ones. Thanks for posting!

#6 larrythefatcat

larrythefatcat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 327 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 12:28 PM

Very interesting stuff!

I'm just curious: how do you come across something like this?

And an even better question: how would I possibly find a copy? I'd seriously be interested in seeing this along with WIP versions of pretty much all the other films.

Thanks for posting all the info!

#7 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 03:59 PM

Sounds like, in the main, the final editorial choices were good ones. Thanks for posting!

Indeed, although it was very nice to see some cut lines and stuff. I really wouldn't mind seeing workprints for all of the other Bond movies. I've heard TWINE has atleast half an hour cut from the finished film.

#8 col_007

col_007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:25 PM

Very interesting stuff!

I'm just curious: how do you come across something like this?

And an even better question: how would I possibly find a copy? I'd seriously be interested in seeing this along with WIP versions of pretty much all the other films.

Thanks for posting all the info!

Yeah does sound very interesting :)

Indeed, although it was very nice to see some cut lines and stuff. I really wouldn't mind seeing workprints for all of the other Bond movies. I've heard TWINE has atleast half an hour cut from the finished film.

Would work prints from the 60s and 70s be extremely rare :confused:

#9 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:38 PM

More like non-existent.

TLD only surfaced because of the rise of video pirates. Someone at the editing studio risked duplicating it because there was a way they could make money off of it - video piracy. That market didn't exist in the 60s or 70s.

I've heard of someone claiming to have an Octopussy workprint, but my understanding is that it only has a couple audio dubbing differences.

#10 col_007

col_007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:19 PM

More like non-existent.

TLD only surfaced because of the rise of video pirates. Someone at the editing studio risked duplicating it because there was a way they could make money off of it - video piracy. That market didn't exist in the 60s or 70s.

I've heard of someone claiming to have an Octopussy workprint, but my understanding is that it only has a couple audio dubbing differences.

i see i have seen a few of other workprints floating round on the net recently guess there a market for them now days

#11 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:03 PM

Agreed, but I think it also illustrates the interest and anticipation there was about the film and the new James Bond ahead of its release.

#12 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:12 PM

Naughty Harkers, handling stolen goods. If you're not careful, Eon will have you "put away."

#13 robertcampbell

robertcampbell

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 06:01 AM

I can attest that all the key elements written were true and in the original uncut form.I was wondering-wouldn't it be great to have a peek at the auditioning process for a new 007?.From Lazenby to Craig.I am hoping that it will be included in a special edition dvd in the near future.

#14 Ozzman313

Ozzman313

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:16 PM

I always felt that the editing was a bit abrupt in TLD. Thanks for the info!

#15 delon64

delon64

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:00 PM

a lot of footage went missing and did the rounds on the collectors circuit in the early nineties...workprint tld and hours upon hours of behind the scenes footage but eon had private detectives knocking on collectors doors and went to great lengths to prosecute those that were selling it via loot and other avenues...beware about owning and trading these items even today...sounds far fetched but is absolutely true

#16 DominicGreene

DominicGreene

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 11:38 PM

Can you please tell us as to where you found this so we can watch it too?

#17 00 Brosnan

00 Brosnan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:17 PM

The Living Daylights is already an excellent film, but it would be interesting to see how those changes would have worked. I'd like to see this rough cut as well.

#18 DominicGreene

DominicGreene

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:47 PM

Someone uploaded it, it's on the Bond and Beyond forum, really interesting stuff. Am I the only one who thought it was a little creepy though? :dizzy:

#19 timfan

timfan

Recruit

• Crew
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:19 PM

I uploaded the pre-title sequence on youtube.

Edited by timfan, 24 October 2012 - 06:12 PM.

#20 Shaun Forever

Shaun Forever

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1067 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:50 PM

Indeed he has!

and it's excellent, strange thing is, a lot of the music from AVTAK and GF actually goes quite well with it.

#21 Lektor

Lektor

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:09 AM

Sounds really interesting! Will watch this later.

Edited by Lektor, 07 January 2013 - 07:24 AM.

#22 Dan Gale

Dan Gale

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 185 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

I wrote an article for Video Watchdog #68 back in 2001 about the work print of The Living Daylights. Copies of the magazine are still about on Amazon,

http://www.amazon.co...edir_mdp_mobile

ebay and from Video Watchdog's own site.
http://www.videowatc.../home/home.html

It has a huge review of the Special Edition DVDs also.

Obviously the work print is ropey, badly edited and contains bits not used in the final film but its also missing loads as it was still being shot. Seeing it now (if you know the final film) gives you an interesting insight in to how editing works (temp tracks etc) and how a film is later streamlined. Alternate edits of Manhunter, Blade Runner and Alien3 were recently released on DVD in ropey work print form for posterity but as this workprint doesn't represent the final film or an alternate director's vision in any way (it's simply unfinished) its unlikely it'll ever be seen officially.

Edited by Dan Gale, 17 January 2013 - 12:10 PM.