Stainless Steel Teeth INC

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 07:35 PM

Have just read the following;

http://www.comingsoo...ws.php?id=81220

Yet more speculation but confirmed casting decisions should no doubt start being announced shortly. Ben Whishaw is interesting though and can currently be seen on BBC television in 'The Hour' alongside Dominic West.

#2 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:29 PM

Interesting. This one's going to have quite a cast if this all pans out.

And Fleming's Mary Ann Russell character, too, perhaps?

#3 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:56 PM

interesting

#4 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:47 PM

Sounds very believable in that he's not an overused Brit villain actor or hot girl trying to get her face noticed, but an actual talented character actor. For that reason I don't really doubt he's a genuine bit of casting info.

#5 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 12:09 AM

If this is true, then I approve. Mendes seems to have his heart set on making the best Bond film the franchise has ever seen, and appears to be putting just as much attention into casting as he is every other element of the film.

Anybody else notice that one of the women is supposedly called "Severin", which is the same name as the villain from CARTE BLANCHE?

#6 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 12:35 AM

Very interesting indeed!

#7 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 01:14 PM

Legit information or not, Ben Whishaw looks quite similar to Le Chiffre and Dominic Greene.

#8 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 01:18 PM

Yeah, that's what I was thinking! I hope he's not a villain though, the Craig era villains seem rather uneventful. Bar, Le Chiffre.

#9 Pierce - Daniel

Pierce - Daniel

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 01:35 PM

I can see him play a creepy like hitman like Jude Law's character in Road to Perdition. In fact I hope this is his role in the film.

#10 Stainless Steel Teeth INC

Stainless Steel Teeth INC

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 01:39 PM

Or if cast may he become the new Q?

#11 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 02:53 PM

Could be Q. Or possibly Bond's contact somewhere or other. Seems less likely to me that he'd be playing a villain, though.

#12 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 03:16 PM

Ben Whishaw works for me. So far I'm not disliking any of the Bond 23 casting rumours.

#13 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 03:32 PM

If this is true, then I approve. Mendes seems to have his heart set on making the best Bond film the franchise has ever seen, and appears to be putting just as much attention into casting as he is every other element of the film.

Possibly.

Then again, all this talent and Mendes could still end up producing an even more confused pile of [censored]e than QOS.

Remember, OHMSS, arguably the best Bond film of the lot, had a non-acting male model in the lead. But then, it was closely based upon an Ian Fleming novel, not the scribblings of some movie hacks and a would-be auteur director...

#14 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 04:07 PM

Possibly.

Then again, all this talent and Mendes could still end up producing an even more confused pile of [censored]e than QOS.

Remember, OHMSS, arguably the best Bond film of the lot, had a non-acting male model in the lead. But then, it was closely based upon an Ian Fleming novel, not the scribblings of some movie hacks and a would-be auteur director...

Not much excited about a film written by Logan Purvis Wade and Directed by Sam Mendes?

#15 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 04:14 PM

Possibly.

Not much excited about a film written by Logan Purvis Wade and Directed by Sam Mendes?

Always excited by any Bond film at this stage (with the possible exception of the 80s Rog films). At this stage there is huge potential. Often not achieved in the final product, unfortunately. ;)

However, I remain to be convinced that simply loading a Bond film with "talent" guarantees a great Bond film. Understanding of Ian Fleming and James Bond is far more valuable than critically success packed CVs.

Remember the words of Cubby, or was it Harry: "Laurance Oliver could never play James Bond".

I think many Bond fans should remember that dictum when the next name in world cinema is mentioned in connection with Mendes' project.

#16 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 04:23 PM

Olivier as Bond? Truly, never thought of that. Probably for a reason.

#17 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 04:31 PM

Olivier as Bond? Truly, never thought of that. Probably for a reason.

It's a quote from EON's top two back in '68-'69 defending the casting of non-actor Lazenby, the theory, I guess, being than just because one is a great actor doesn't guarantee success as James Bond, Bond requiring a level of naturalness which Connery certainly had and, in Cubby and Harry's opinion (and mine) so did Lazenby.

Using that argument, I do not necessary see Mendes and Co hitting the ball out of the park. Consider, how many critcally acclaimed or even successful films outside of Bond did T. Young, G. Hamilton or P. Hunt make????

#18 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 04:53 PM

Guy Hamilton had a fair few. To be honest, I'd rather have a new Hamilton Bond film than a Mendes one. Even if he is 900-years-old.

#19 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 05:02 PM

Well, Hamilton did 'Funeral in Berlin' and 'Battle of Britain' which I think also impressed so critics. But your point of course stands, Eon wanted workmanlike professionals in the director's chair, not auteurs.

I suppose a lot depends on a solid and gripping storyline and in the early days they had Fleming and Maibaum for this. After the Fleming stories were plundered the outside influence had to grow and visuals had to make up for a lot of missing logic. Now it seems as if the engaging storylines don't find their way to Eon any more, or at any rate not the way they used to. This is what I hope for with Mendes's involvement, a feeling for a story that can carry a Bond film.

#20 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 05:36 PM

Maybe I could bring the question on here - not totally on topic though.
Would like to know, if this is true, that due to the writers trike, they were not allowed to make significant changes, so that Forster could only do bits to enhance a script, thast was not entirely finished, when the strike began. Therefore they filled the gaps with action scenes. One in a German paper, that might be bs and here the other

DC talking:
-Yes, it (QoS) was overloaded with action. It because, we suffered from the writer's strike. Except from director MF and me nobody was allowed even to touch the script. And even we couldn't rewrite it, we could only make some minimal changes, and as a result the action scenes piled one on top of another...

Quote:
- Да, с трюками в этом фильме перебор. Все оттого, что мы страдали от забастовки сценаристов. Кроме режиссера Марка Форстера и меня, никому не было разрешено прикасаться к сценарию. Да и мы не могли его переписывать, только чуть-чуть что-то менять. В результате сцены побоищ нагромоздились одна на другую.

http://kuban.kp.ru/d...5738.3/2726611/

Edited by Germanlady, 20 August 2011 - 05:37 PM.

#21 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 05:47 PM

I don't think that's the entire truth about QOS. But it might be part of the truth. Action scenes entail tremendous planning and logistics and not a little funds too. If you have gaps in a script it would make much more sense to fill material that doesn't come with such a price tag.

But I believe Wilson went on record after CR with something like 'the next one will have twice the action' or something to the effect. I think it's possible the weak script made Forster put the emphasis much more on the action material than he may have planned at the start.

#22 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 07:59 PM

I don't think that's the entire truth about QOS. But it might be part of the truth. Action scenes entail tremendous planning and logistics and not a little funds too. If you have gaps in a script it would make much more sense to fill material that doesn't come with such a price tag.

But I believe Wilson went on record after CR with something like 'the next one will have twice the action' or something to the effect. I think it's possible the weak script made Forster put the emphasis much more on the action material than he may have planned at the start.

You might be right, but the first time, Michael W. said above mentioned was at the press conference for QOS, when they gave us the title.

#23 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 10:54 PM

Ben Whishaw works for me. So far I'm not disliking any of the Bond 23 casting rumours.

If nothing else, Mendes can certainly bring together high-caliber acting talent.

Let's hope he knows how to use them, too. Forster needlessly squandered the talents of the cast of QUANTUM OF SOLACE.

#24 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 01:01 AM

OHMSS was not "the best Bond of all". It was absolute rubbish. Everybody and everything was dragged down by the fact that George Lazenby was an atrocious actor and the film is filled with amateurish cuts and editing decisions. Peter Hunt should have known better.

#25 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 01:06 AM

I think Lazenby did quite well in the lead role. For a guy with no acting experience he was pretty damn good! His acting is beautiful in the final scene, too.

#26 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 01:32 AM

However, I remain to be convinced that simply loading a Bond film with "talent" guarantees a great Bond film.

Very true. THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH has perhaps the most prestigious cast of any Bond film before or since (with the exception of Denise Richards, although ironically she gives the least mannered, most engaging and unpretentious performance in the film!), but look how it turned out.

#27 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 04:07 AM

Denise Richards is the best actor in TWINE?

Surely you jest, sir.

#28 jrcjohnny99

jrcjohnny99

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 05:44 AM

To get back on topic; I'm a huge fan og Wishaw and his casting can only be a good thing....

#29 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:31 AM

OHMSS was not "the best Bond of all". It was absolute rubbish. Everybody and everything was dragged down by the fact that George Lazenby was an atrocious actor and the film is filled with amateurish cuts and editing decisions. Peter Hunt should have known better.

OHMSS may not have been the "best Bond of all"...but it is certainly up there.

#30 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:45 AM

If you mean it's certainly up there with the worst of them, I totally agree. The source material - the idea of Bond falling in love - demanded Sean Connery (or at least an actor who had been in one film beforehand). But Lazenby just ruined absolutely everything. Diana Rigg, Telly Savalas, the story; everything Lazenby touched died horribly. I find the whole thing bordering on self-parody.

EDIT: What the hell!? I lose reputation points simply because I don't like OHMSS? I only ever dock reputation from people who do or say something stupid, not because of their opinions of particular films.