23 replies to this topic

#1 Gri007

Gri007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1719 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 06:11 PM

I've started to write a book about my collection of 719 james Bond items, and my experience from collecting them etc etc. The idea was inspired by Steven Sansweets 'Star Wars: 1000 colletables and stories from a galaxy far far away. I am thinking about getting it published. I have no intention of going to DK Publishing or Boxtree, but preferbly to a private and independant printer.

I think it may be good becuase there hasnt been a book on Bond memorablillia. I know that Dave Worral had written a book on the Corgi diecasts of James Bond, and that has influenced me a lot.

But would Bond fans really buy a book that dives deep into somebodys personal collection??

Would like to know what you think.

Gri007

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 06:34 PM

I think it's a great idea. I'd buy it.

#3 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 06:40 PM

I'd buy it if it listed every item with a photo and the item's estimated worth in 2012 dollars (or whenever it's published) for people looking for the item for their own collection.

#4 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 09:23 PM

There is a book out there that is a photographic catalogue of someone's collection of spy movie memorabelia, from 007 to UNCLE to Get Smart.

The 007 section is a little thin, and the books reads like the author is saying "look at all the cool stuff I've got!"

If you can avoid that kind of gloating, and your stories are entertaining, you may have something there.

Sorry I don't remember the title, but I'm sure if you google around you'll probably unearth it. It may be worth your while to know what kind of efforts are already out, so you'll know what pitfalls to avoid.

Good Luck!

Edited by AMC Hornet, 17 July 2011 - 09:24 PM.

#5 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 09:59 PM

If the 719 items formed a focus on something in particular, maybe, dependent on content and style etc.

But if the 719 items formed a completely random collection crossing memorabilia through to collectibles with nothing to tie them together other than 'I was 18 when I bought this doll, and 23 when I bought that poster', probably not.

#6 The*SPY*

The*SPY*

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 85 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 04:40 AM

Perhaps if you also took additional effort to document other items that you don't have so as to compile a real cataolgue of Bond collectables. I'm sure there are several collectors who would be willing to send a photo and description for your use (You figure out the legalities) and all you would have to do is make reference as "From the Collection of Dan Craig".

#7 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:12 AM

Depends if you have interesting stories behind the acquisition of the stuff that might lend a human interest angle beyond where and when you bought it, so that in effect it becomes a catalogue of your personal changing tastes, desires, movements, experiences and the actual bits of cardboard and print and toys and whatever are merely the hook on which you deal with more interesting things. As an example, when I look at my first edition of Never Send Flowers, I remember buying it at a book sale in Lechlade from a chap who had fought in the Spanish Civil War and I ended up corresponding with him for some years until he died, last year. Can't recall a bloody thing about the book, mind.

EDIT: I tell a lie, I can - it's the Disney Serial Killer one, isn't it? It may not surprise you to learn that the quality of the book never came up in any of my correspondence with Joseph.

#8 MarcAngeDraco

MarcAngeDraco

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3312 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:44 AM

I do think it would be interesting to see inside another Bond fan's collection. But I agree with Jim and others who mention that it should be more than just a catalog listing of the items. Stories of tracking down unique items, interesting people you met along the way, why particular items have special meaning to you beyond their monetary value, etc would make it all far more interesting.

The bottom line, a book about Bond collecting written by someone here on CBn... Yeah, I'm probably buying a copy.

#9 klaus hergesheimer

klaus hergesheimer

Cadet

• Crew
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 03:56 PM

hi, that idea of you is not a bad one concider what esspecialy you want to write about 719 items is not a thick book,or do you want to do something special ?

I've started to write a book about my collection of 719 james Bond items, and my experience from collecting them etc etc. The idea was inspired by Steven Sansweets 'Star Wars: 1000 colletables and stories from a galaxy far far away. I am thinking about getting it published. I have no intention of going to DK Publishing or Boxtree, but preferbly to a private and independant printer.

I think it may be good becuase there hasnt been a book on Bond memorablillia. I know that Dave Worral had written a book on the Corgi diecasts of James Bond, and that has influenced me a lot.

But would Bond fans really buy a book that dives deep into somebodys personal collection??

Would like to know what you think.

Gri007

#10 Jump James

Jump James

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:53 PM

Being a collector of only Bond books i'd be intrested in having a look at a collectors collection, a niche market that could be tapped into. And if it had the sort of storys like Jim's above then it would be quite a charming book.

#11 Gri007

Gri007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1719 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 06:20 AM

Thanks everybody for you positive support about the whole idea. Didn't think it would have been so good personally.

I am covering each product that I have from, cars, figures, novels and comics, music and posters, and vintage Bond stuff. I am currently working on the model car section. I am writing about how I came across the specific items, then trying to do an indepth synopsis of the product, talking a bit about the packaging and how much it cost and what the value of to day is. I'm also including my personal opinoin on the product. It will contain pictures of the things I have got, and as 'TheSpy' suggested I might even include a section of other collections from around the world.

I am trying to add a bt humour in thier, but what I may find funny could not neseccary be what the reader would find funny.

Thanks agian for your kind words. It has helped immensley

#12 Solex Agitator

Solex Agitator

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 02:02 PM

I think this is a grand idea. Especially if the items are treated as "object art" and are well photographed in a well-lit neutral background and in a singular style, something akin a to a museum-quality coffee table book. Perhaps the text could be on the page opposite or perhaps relegated to long form essays in the book's beginning. I would definitely buy this.

The quality photography and the presentation of the items is the key, particularly since many of us will never own such a collection.

Keep us updated on your progress!

#13 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:02 PM

Gri,

Looking at your input thus far, I think you have the makings of a cracking Thread.

And no more.

#14 Gri007

Gri007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1719 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 06:27 AM

Gri,

Looking at your input thus far, I think you have the makings of a cracking Thread.

And no more.

Thanks. Just to let you know I have written 12 pages so far, and that is only halfway through my car collection. I have also writen to Corgi and asked them why Scaramanga's flying car was never used for the 'Ultimate' Collection. Like any project, it needs a lot more work doing to it and I can't exaclty give you a date when I'm hoping it will be released. I understand that even the publishing side of things can be dificult.

#15 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:15 AM

This is a great idea. I love checking out what people collect & getting insight into the motivation behind their collection. I would definitely buy a copy. Including pictures is a must. Commercial publishing is a challenge but you could always self-publish & use a service like Lulu.

#16 Poor Man's JB

Poor Man's JB

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 11:11 PM

I've spent the better part of the last 20 years and a good US$ 10K working on the same thing and I've basically got bupkis -- save for a sample chapter and some test photos -- to show for it.

Every publisher I approached said "yes, absolutely we'd love to do it but, of course, we can't because EON would sue the crap out of anyone who even came near anything like that."

Sorry to be a killjoy, but unless you go to DK (assuming they're still EON's publisher of choice; Boxtree is long completely out of the picture), self-publishing is about your only hope.

And for all those who are thinking EON would have no standing in the case, yes, I know; that's exactly the point I spent money on lawyers to prove. The real issue is not whether EON would win, simply that they can afford a legal team and time in court defending their position which would eliminate any margin -- the book industry being as tight as it is these days -- the publisher might otherwise realize.

BTW, Dave Worrall -- who both owns a publishing company and is friendly with EON-- announced he was doing the same book a few years back; no idea where it stands.

Edited by Poor Man's JB, 21 August 2011 - 03:06 AM.

#17 Bondposters.com

Bondposters.com

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 134 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:57 PM

I can agree with the above statement regarding EON.
My advice would be to approach EON directly, through whichever publisher you decide to go with; other than that, do it yourself!

Unless you can market the book right, you're unlikely to see any return on the time and money spent on writing the book.
If this doesn't phase you, then I say ... Do it! Do it! Do it!

I have items I would consider allowing you to include.

Best,
Adam

#18 voituer

voituer

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 70 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 02:59 PM

Hey A.S. greetings and had to laugh, here is a minefield many colectors are in and you and I both know how horrible it can get.

my journey down this road started many years ago after seeing a Japanese robot book, I then thought I could do the same with Bond. Well about 300 thousand pounds later and I have about 99% of all Bond merchandise ever made and now what do I do. I did get 20 thousand dollars from a US publisher to do a book but returned it as I don't now have the time and that would nowhere near cover the photography alone.

Big question was how to pitch it, do it by film, by year of merchandise, by type or manufacturer??? the questions are endless. It would also be impossible to include everything but do you leave out the really obscure stuff that no-one will ever get to see or the more common items assuming its of little interest. Publishers really want price guides to spur sales and these are so subjective and volatile with 007.

What is the market? The collecting market is too small for an in depth tome but the bigger gift market will not stand anything too heavy.
Ultimately most efforts are led by vanity, its a look at what I've got scenario and the story of how I got it. Maybe these are the subjects of magazine articles or a website. Actually a website with a collection and stories behind the items is a great idea for anyone as its a relatively small cost and can be updated at will.

I wish anyone undertaking this the best of luck, one day it will be cracked.

Nick - East of A.S. :cooltongue:

I've spent the better part of the last 20 years and a good US$ 10K working on the same thing and I've basically got bupkis -- save for a sample chapter and some test photos -- to show for it.

Every publisher I approached said "yes, absolutely we'd love to do it but, of course, we can't because EON would sue the crap out of anyone who even came near anything like that."

Sorry to be a killjoy, but unless you go to DK (assuming they're still EON's publisher of choice; Boxtree is long completely out of the picture), self-publishing is about your only hope.

And for all those who are thinking EON would have no standing in the case, yes, I know; that's exactly the point I spent money on lawyers to prove. The real issue is not whether EON would win, simply that they can afford a legal team and time in court defending their position which would eliminate any margin -- the book industry being as tight as it is these days -- the publisher might otherwise realize.

BTW, Dave Worrall -- who both owns a publishing company and is friendly with EON-- announced he was doing the same book a few years back; no idea where it stands.

#19 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 05:50 PM

Thanks. Just to let you know I have written 12 pages so far, and that is only halfway through my car collection. I have also writen to Corgi and asked them why Scaramanga's flying car was never used for the 'Ultimate' Collection. Like any project, it needs a lot more work doing to it and I can't exaclty give you a date when I'm hoping it will be released. I understand that even the publishing side of things can be dificult.

In one sentence, can you tell us what is the formation of your collection? I only ask as, as above, if it is just too random then there will be nothing in the way of handles to sell it on.

Consider this, for a checklist on everything ever produced to collect on Bond, the best place would be the internet. An online catalogue containing a pack shot with title, one sentence of blurb and a date of release.

If your collection is purely cars, then I would suggest for a truly insightful book (or books) on the how's, why's and where's, there would be more than enough information out there to fill three books to offer the sort of detail to cater to one's needs versus expense. And I would hazard that if starting from scratch, you will need 10 years to sort this lot out.

Otherwise as suggested above, the book would have to stand or fall on how well you write and how interesting your life is thus far to explore a series of collecting related anecdotes. And Stephen Fry, you (and any of us) appear not to be.

But, good luck.

#20 Sigma7

Sigma7

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 05:25 PM

As a Bond collector myself i would love a book like that for referencing, i would like to see bond items and toys that are scarce or maybe have never been seen by the average collector ( japanese model kits, the french volcano set, for example) A history or any anecdote from ppl behind the toys or reasons why certain toys were made would be great as well

#21 voituer

voituer

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 70 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 05:53 PM

As a Bond collector myself i would love a book like that for referencing, i would like to see bond items and toys that are scarce or maybe have never been seen by the average collector ( japanese model kits, the french volcano set, for example) A history or any anecdote from ppl behind the toys or reasons why certain toys were made would be great as well

I would love that also and I have spent many years collecting the items and the stories along with advertising, samples etc. etc. bu the amount of work would be a labour of love with no financial reward. If there are any collectors out there who want to pay someone to write and produce it I have the goods!!

I have the French Volcano set, its a very poor quality toy!!

#22 Poor Man's JB

Poor Man's JB

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 09:30 PM

It's important to define the publication one way or other. A coffee table book is not going to be a catalog/price guide and vice versa. I think there's a place for either, but they aren't the same thing. Indeed, for my book, I wanted to have a catalog/price guide included as a separate insert, but that it absolutely would not be incorporated into the overall text for the simple reason that it immediately dates the whole thing plus it's the easiest to get wrong and invite nit-picking ("you list this as made in '69 but it was really '70, though not available in Japan until '72" ... blah, blah, blah ... )

Also, while I have about 6K pieces, I estimate that that represents maybe 20% of what's out there. Get started on packaging variations and it drops to something basically imperceptible. In short, the core of the publication couldn't be a catalog even if I wanted it to; the resource material just isn't at hand. The book as envisaged would have covered maybe 50 key pieces and what they represented at the time relative to Bondmania, the toy industry, etc. (because, really, who gives a crap how I got them or what I paid or any other personal anecdote; that's what God made Blogs for).

I don't know what the 719 figure comprises nor am I suggesting that the approach we settled on was the answer, but if the best we could come-up with to showcase out of 6,000 choices was less than 1%, I think you have a considerable challenge.

Also, while I agree with Nick that Le Vulcan wasn't so well-made, I think it's actually the stuff like that -- the Thunderball snow globe or the Octopussy "Wacky Wall Walker" -- that speaks volumes about how 007 was perceived in any given decade, EON's licensing decisions, etc. ... the overall pop culture angle that's going to appeal to the broader audience beyond just us bunch of fanboys.

#23 Gri007

Gri007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1719 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:35 PM

I thought I will give you a update on my project. I have so far written 99 pages. My car collection has been covered and includes photographs alongside with the Bond novels. I have written a 17 pages on my Fleming novels, alongside with another 19 on the John Gardner novels, which I will admit still needs work i.e information on cover artist's.

Unfortunately I can't see it being published for this year. It has took me about 9 months to get 99 pages, and I must admit, that it isn't easy. My plan is to get it finished and proof read, then appraoch Eon about it. I should suspect it'll be done for 2014, and maybe 2013 if I'm lucky.

#24 E S Blofeld

E S Blofeld

Cadet

• Crew
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:48 PM

Best of luck, it certainly sounds like quite an undertaking.

If you are still looking for people to put in their two cents, I might suggest not putting the current value on the items, as it would only date your book within 12 months; it would make the book more timeless to assign a rarity instead. I think putting the price you paid for them would be very appropriate if it is part of the storytelling part.