32 replies to this topic

#1 Conlazmoodalbrocra

Conlazmoodalbrocra

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3546 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:07 PM

Whenever people ask me what my favourite movie is I always annoy them by saying, "do you mean my 1st or 23rd favourite movie?"

Anyway the question is, what, good people of CBN, is your favourite non-Bond movie? To get the ball rolling, I will say mine is 'Gangs of New York'.

#2 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:14 PM

ROCKY.

#3 mttvolcano

mttvolcano

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 396 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:31 PM

V For Vendetta

#4 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 12:10 AM

Empire of the Sun

or Casablanca
or 8 1/2
or The English Patient
or Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
or Lawrence of Arabia
or The Third Man
or...

Damn it!

ROCKY.

Love Rocky,really do, I´m a big Sly fan, but for me Somebody up there Likes Me(1956) is the best boxe related film ever, better than Raging Bull.

#1 DANCES WITH WOLVES

Love Dances With Wolves :tup:

BATMAN RETURNS

Best Batman film ever :tup:

Edited by univex, 03 July 2011 - 12:08 AM.

#5 Conlazmoodalbrocra

Conlazmoodalbrocra

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3546 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 12:30 AM

Great choices so far. I too am a Stallone fan, and Rocky is a brilliant film. Dances With Wolves is a masterpiece and V for Vendetta is a great film as well. :tup:

#6 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 12:31 AM

I'd probably have to go with Into the Wild as my favorite film.

#7 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 12:35 AM

... and V for Vendetta is a great film as well. :tup:

It is isn´t it? Alhtough I always found it to be short of what it could have been. Natalie is great. Isn´t she always? ;)

Nice, one of the most underrated films ever, and performances. Awesome finale.

#8 Conlazmoodalbrocra

Conlazmoodalbrocra

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3546 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 12:38 AM

It is isn´t it? Alhtough I always found it to be short of what it could have been. Natalie is great. Isn´t she always? ;)

I've always enjoyed it. Probably seen it at least 10 times. I like the political undertones of the film and the fact that the action scenes are kept to a minimum so that when they occur they have a much bigger effect. And yes, Natalie is always great!

#9 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 12:48 AM

I've always enjoyed it. Probably seen it at least 10 times. I like the political undertones of the film and the fact that the action scenes are kept to a minimum so that when they occur they have a much bigger effect. And yes, Natalie is always great!

I love the Monte Cristo connection and Hugo´s voice is wonderfull. So glad they didn´t keep Purefoy. And yes, the liberalism VS totalitarism is wonderfully played, like in Equillibrium, another future cult film I think. John Hurt is also great in it :tup:

#10 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 02:00 AM

I don't really have a favourite. Although, I've probably watched Jaws more times than any other film.

#11 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 02:05 AM

Impossible to choose just one. But I can definitely get it down to a top 10:

1. BATMAN (1989)
2. HOME ALONE
3. GHOSTBUSTERS 2
4. THE PARTY (1968)
5. WALK HARD: THE DEWEY COX STORY
6. DUMB & DUMBER
7. STAR WARS - EPISODE V: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
8. A CHRISTMAS STORY
9. THE BRAVE LITTLE TOASTER
10. BACK TO THE FUTURE PT. I

#12 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 02:10 AM

Definitely agreed on it being underrated. It deserved more than the one major Oscar nomination that it received (which was Hal Holbrook's well deserved nod for Supporting Actor). The two biggest snubs for the film were its exclusion from the Best Picture and Lead Actor (Emile Hirsch) categories. Sean Penn should have been considered for the directing award as well, and both Catherine Keener and Kristen Stewart should have at least been given some thought for Supporting Actress by the voters.

Regardless, though, it's a great film, and one that I've watched countless times in the past couple of years.

#13 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 02:49 AM

Definitely agreed on it being underrated. It deserved more than the one major Oscar nomination that it received (which was Hal Holbrook's well deserved nod for Supporting Actor). The two biggest snubs for the film were its exclusion from the Best Picture and Lead Actor (Emile Hirsch) categories. Sean Penn should have been considered for the directing award as well, and both Catherine Keener and Kristen Stewart should have at least been given some thought for Supporting Actress by the voters.

Regardless, though, it's a great film, and one that I've watched countless times in the past couple of years.

Regarding Stewart, maybe it could have save her from all that vampire nonsense ;) Hirsh is probably the best and most underrated actor of his generation. Sean Penn wasn´t Academy viable (if you know what I mean :rolleyes: ), and yeah, perfect film all around, seen it about three times, and will probably see it more :tup:

#14 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 03:01 AM

Regarding Stewart, maybe it could have save her from all that vampire nonsense ;) Hirsh is probably the best and most underrated actor of his generation. Sean Penn wasn´t Academy viable (if you know what I mean :rolleyes: ), and yeah, perfect film all around, seen it about three times, and will probably see it more :tup:

The vampire films were both probably the best and worst thing that could have happened to Stewart. She wouldn't have been a house-hold name without them, but at the same time, they represent her worst acting to date, which in large part is due to the fact that those films are so poorly written and acted (all the way around, not just her) that it's as though any decent actor walking into that series would be destined to fail anyway. I had noticed her well before the vampire films, and thought even as far back as Panic Room that she was going to be great, and she's proven that in other films such as Adventureland (another personal favorite of mine) and Welcome to the Rileys, amongst others. I'm not saying that she should have won the award for Into the Wild, but she should have at least been in the conversation for one of the nominations. Every time I watch the film, even though I know what happens, I still feel like I've been punched in the gut in her final scene of the film. The same could be said for Hal Holbrook's final scene as well.

I agree on Penn, I figured all along that he wouldn't get any recognition for it, although he certainly deserved it. Regarding his directorial work, I just wish that he did more of it, as I enjoy all of his efforts behind the camera, especially his film The Pledge, starring Jack Nicholson, which I thought was fantastic.

#15 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 03:13 AM

The vampire films were both probably the best and worst thing that could have happened to Stewart. She wouldn't have been a house-hold name without them, but at the same time, they represent her worst acting to date, which in large part is due to the fact that those films are so poorly written and acted (all the way around, not just her) that it's as though any decent actor walking into that series would be destined to fail anyway. I had noticed her well before the vampire films, and thought even as far back as Panic Room that she was going to be great, and she's proven that in other films such as Adventureland (another personal favorite of mine) and Welcome to the Rileys, amongst others. I'm not saying that she should have won the award for Into the Wild, but she should have at least been in the conversation for one of the nominations. Every time I watch the film, even though I know what happens, I still feel like I've been punched in the gut in her final scene of the film. The same could be said for Hal Holbrook's final scene as well.

I agree on Penn, I figured all along that he wouldn't get any recognition for it, although he certainly deserved it. Regarding his directorial work, I just wish that he did more of it, as I enjoy all of his efforts behind the camera, especially his film The Pledge, starring Jack Nicholson, which I thought was fantastic.

True abour Stewart. Always thought she was quite promising. Still do, vampire fashion will see the sunlight soon enough. Interesting you mentioned Panic Room, as I always saw her as a Jodie Foster/Tense and dramatic kind of actress. About Penn, he did get Nicholson to do a low key/no OTT role, which in itself is quite the achievment ;) Good film, the pledge. Don´t know why but it reminded me of another film I like, Insomnia, from Nolan, with Pacino. And yeah, that final scene from Into the Wild is a really punch in the gut. Hal Holbrook was genious in his role as well :tup:

Edited by univex, 03 July 2011 - 03:17 AM.

#16 jrcjohnny99

jrcjohnny99

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 03:31 AM

Raiders of the Lost Ark

(altho like others, it's near impossible to pick just one, but i guess if I have to thats the one that always immediately comes to mind)

#17 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 05:07 AM

Highlander.

#18 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 08:25 AM

Much like Zoolander, I suspect this film will be a "cult classic" in 10 years. One of the damned funniest films I've ever seen.

I have a feeling that the neglect this film receives can be attributed to a lack of basic knowledge of the great musical icons of the '60s and '70s--Dylan, Brian Wilson, Bowie, etc. I've also noticed that most of my musician friends absolutely love this film while the jokes seem to fly over the heads of the rest.

#19 blueman

blueman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 11:13 AM

I don't really have a favourite. Although, I've probably watched Jaws more times than any other film.

Ditto. Body Heat, Something Wild, and Robin and Marian would also be in the hunt. And, well, The Curse of the Werewolf.

#20 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 11:21 AM

Ten films, since I can never pick just one:

2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY (1968, dir. Stanley Kubrick)
BARRY LYNDON (1975, dir. Stanley Kubrick)
BLOW OUT (1981, dir. Brian De Palma)
LAST YEAR AT MARIENBAD (1961, dir. Alain Resnais)
ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST (1968, dir. Sergio Leone)
RAN (1985, dir. Akira Kurosawa)
TOUCH OF EVIL (1958, dir. Orson Welles)
VERTIGO (1958, dir. Alfred Hitchcock)
WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF? (1966, dir. Mike Nichols)
YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN (1974, dir. Mel Brooks)

#21 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 11:30 AM

Impossible to choose just one. But I can definitely get it down to a top 10:

1. BATMAN (1989)
2. HOME ALONE
3. GHOSTBUSTERS 2
4. THE PARTY (1968)
5. WALK HARD: THE DEWEY COX STORY
6. DUMB & DUMBER
7. STAR WARS - EPISODE V: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
8. A CHRISTMAS STORY
9. THE BRAVE LITTLE TOASTER
10. BACK TO THE FUTURE PT. I

I don't want to be a jerk, but Ghostbusters II is your third favourite film of all time when the original isn't even in the Top 10?

As an olive branch I'll give you "mad props" or whatever the kids say for Walk Hard :tup:

#22 TCK

TCK

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 341 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 06:08 PM

The great escape is my greatest favourite, but the list would be too long to enumerate here.

#23 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 06:21 PM

I don't want to be a jerk, but Ghostbusters II is your third favourite film of all time when the original isn't even in the Top 10?

As an olive branch I'll give you "mad props" or whatever the kids say for Walk Hard :tup:

I realize the first "Ghostbusters" is the superior film but I grew up on the sequel so it's more of a nostalgia thing with me. :)

#24 Jaws0178

Jaws0178

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1612 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 06:26 PM

Okay, do we have time :: pulls out a very very long roll of paper and proceeds to unwind it:: Oops sorry 008 hope that papercut heals okay. DooM the video game to movie. :: Proceeds to wind up paper:: Cheers! :: Runs as 008 chases me with a frying pan:: Oh and Tangled!! Frying pans rule!

#25 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 10:41 PM

Oh, I don't know. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, any Dwight Frye movie, Nosferatu...

#26 dogmanstar

dogmanstar

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 446 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 12:19 AM

True Stories--the quirky 1986 film directed by David Byrne from Talking Heads.

#27 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 03:43 AM

In no particular order:

Yellow Submarine
Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story ("You don't want no part of this [censored], Dewey!")
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Hot Fuzz
True Grit (2010 version)
Kung Pow! Enter the Fist ("How many miles? Would you say... ten million?")
A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum
Young Frankenstein
The Producers ("I'm in pain! I'm in pain... and I'm wet... and I'm still hysterical!")
National Lampoon's Animal House
The Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars
The Night of the Hunter
The Third Man
Punch-Drunk Love
There Will Be Blood
Help!
Superman: The Movie
16 Blocks
The Bank Job
Dersu Uzala
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
The Elephant Man
Death Becomes Her
Spaceballs
Observe and Report
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
Vampyr
The Third Man
American Graffiti

#28 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 02:20 PM

Since everyone seems to be doing lists rather than picking a single favourite (and I did think picking just one - tough though it is - was the whole point of this thread), here's my current top ten, in alphabetical order:

DIE HARD (1988, John McTiernan)

8½ (1963, Federico Fellini)

EUREKA (2000, Shinji Aoyama)

GOODFELLAS (1990, Martin Scorsese)

HEAT (1995, Michael Mann)

LOST IN TRANSLATION (2003, Sofia Coppola)

PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK (1975, Peter Weir)

PULP FICTION (1994, Quentin Tarantino)

ROCKY (1976, John G. Avildsen)

THE YAKUZA (1974, Sydney Pollack)

#29 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 05:32 PM

Woody Allen's Sleeper

#30 copperhead1