14 replies to this topic

#1 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 06:34 AM

Does she simply get killed by White in the other room of the torture chamber?

#2 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:04 AM

Yes.

#3 Miles Miservy

Miles Miservy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 02:18 PM

Yes.

I think she got her rack done & went on to make such timeless classics as "Witless Protection" w/Larry the Cable Guy

#4 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 04:08 PM

Another brilliant discussion topic courtesy of iBond. :tup:

#5 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 04:30 PM

It's funny how she is barely used in the film. I wonder how it would have been if she befriended Bond in the end and managed to escape the chamber..if she died that is. It would have been a bit like the whole May Day thing. Like, maybe she could have told Bond a secret about Le Chiffre and make him aware of his secrets. I don't know, just an idea.

#6 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 06:28 PM

Like, maybe she could have told Bond a secret about Le Chiffre and make him aware of his secrets.

I quite like that idea.

#7 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 06:55 PM

...'fraid I don't; methinks being Le Chiffre's beard was a thankless job. :P

#8 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:40 AM

...'fraid I don't; methinks being Le Chiffre's beard was a thankless job. :P

Eh, I dunno, she gets to travel a lot and hang out on a luxury yacht, and she only has to occasionally poison someone's drink. Of course, there's the odd risk of an enraged Ugandan warlord threatening her with dismemberment, but every job has its pros and cons...

#9 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 01:48 AM

I like when iBond asks the hard questions.

I always would've enjoyed seeing a scene in the other room while Bond is being tortured. Yeah, Valenka has the cohones to poison Bond but can she stand the brutal torture going on in the other room or did Vesper and her have a potential stand-offish heart to heart? The idea would be absurd but I do wonder sometimes.

#10 Binyamin

Binyamin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 05:17 AM

I always would've enjoyed seeing a scene in the other room while Bond is being tortured. Yeah, Valenka has the cohones to poison Bond but can she stand the brutal torture going on in the other room or did Vesper and her have a potential stand-offish heart to heart? The idea would be absurd but I do wonder sometimes.

Actually, I read somewhere that there was deleted scene, or in the script, that Valenka comes into LeChiffre's side of the room and asks for a pliers -- implication being that she is torturing Vesper? Anybody else remember this?

#11 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:47 AM

Actually, I read somewhere that there was deleted scene, or in the script, that Valenka comes into LeChiffre's side of the room and asks for a pliers -- implication being that she is torturing Vesper? Anybody else remember this?

Yeah it's in the script, I just looked it up. Not much more than what you described, she comes out to get some pliers. Bond glimpses Vesper tied to a chair in another room naked, but that's about it. Doesn't differ too much from what's onscreen.

#12 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 04:06 PM

That would be all for show, no? Sort of like in the novel, where Bond is kept completely unaware of Vesper's state... and for good reason?

#13 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 04:56 PM

Woah! I never heard about that! Thanks for sharing it!

#14 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:30 PM

That would be all for show, no? Sort of like in the novel, where Bond is kept completely unaware of Vesper's state... and for good reason?

Not for show; we can see in the hospital scenes that Vesper has a bandage on her fingers. Seems that Valenka at least got started before she was rudely interrupted! And the bandage tells us that the pliers scene must have been filmed, but like the skinny-dipping scene, is probably never to be seen by us common folk!

I'm guessing it was cut in order to keep up the intensity of the Bond/Le Chiffre one on one confrontation. Valenka coming in and leaving would deflate the tension a bit.

#15 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 11:00 PM

True, but it would at least let people know about her character. But, you can't have it all.

Edited by iBond, 21 June 2011 - 11:01 PM.