7 replies to this topic

#1 00 Brosnan

00 Brosnan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 01:19 AM

One of my favorite websites for many years, GameFAQs recently had as one of their daily polls "Who is your favorite James Bond actor?" I'm not too surprised by the results. The only thing that was surprising is that out the 56,000+ that voted, 12.5% had never watched a James Bond film...it still amazes me considering the success and longevity of the series.

GameFAQs is used by videogame fans from all over the world and the user age ranges from 13 (age of use) to early 50s.

Poll Results Link

EDIT: Switched the link from a screen capture I took to an actual direct link to the poll itself. The poll switches everyday so I wasn't sure if I'd still be able to link to it, but I can.

Edited by 00 Brosnan, 09 May 2011 - 08:34 AM.

#2 mttvolcano

mttvolcano

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 396 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 02:17 PM

Not that I don't like pierce brosnan, but why does he have so many?

#3 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 04:38 PM

I think much of it has to do that it is a video game site and the age of people it draws. I think most of the people that visit that site are probably from the Brosnan generation and grew up on the GE game.

#4 mttvolcano

mttvolcano

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 396 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:56 AM

I think much of it has to do that it is a video game site and the age of people it draws. I think most of the people that visit that site are probably from the Brosnan generation and grew up on the GE game.

Yeah thats true. I grew up in the era, but he's not my favorite I am obviously judging based upon books and other stuff though.

#5 00 Brosnan

00 Brosnan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:24 AM

While it obviously isn't set in stone, the younger generation is more favorable to Brosnan b/c the films are more modern and previous Bond's seem dated to them b/c they weren't around during their tenures. Generally, these aren't hardcore Bond fans (most of them anyway).

I have a feeling the majority of people using CBn are middle-aged and that is why Brosnan is out-right bashed so much b/c he's obviously very favorable to the younger crowd. Then there's the hardcore Fleming fans of any age who understandably don't like him b/c his Bond didn't take much after the books.

Personally, I couldn't care less how much Bond is inspired by Fleming on screen, I just want an entertaining film w/ the classic James Bond (film) elements I've come to love over the years. I'm not going to hate a guy b/c he didn't follow a specific character mold considering there were others before him that didn't either.

Some users like Jaguar have expressed well-thought out critiques on Brosnan as Bond and I can understand his reasoning for preferring someone else, but there are several users on here that just out-right bash the guy. I would never do that, I love James Bond and while I have a favorite actor and a least favorite, all of them brought something to the role and they all have their pluses and minuses.

The average user age on that site is probably mid-20s to early 30s, but there are of course many teenagers and people in their 40s and early 50s as well. GameFAQS covers every system and every era of videogames and as some of you know videogames go back to the 1970s.

Edited by 00 Brosnan, 10 May 2011 - 08:37 AM.

#6 jamie00007

jamie00007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:10 AM

Yeah, but when talking Bond on a video game site Brosnan has an obvious advantage outside age. Dont forget whose face was on Bond in GoldenEye 64, Tomorrow Never Dies, The World Is Not Enough, 007 Racing, Agent Under Fire, Nightfire and Everything Or Nothing. For the moment, Brosnan is the recognised face of Bond in videogames.

#7 00 Brosnan

00 Brosnan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:37 AM

Yeah, but when talking Bond on a video game site Brosnan has an obvious advantage outside age. Dont forget whose face was on Bond in GoldenEye 64, Tomorrow Never Dies, The World Is Not Enough, 007 Racing, Agent Under Fire, Nightfire and Everything Or Nothing. For the moment, Brosnan is the recognised face of Bond in videogames.

I think that's a valid point, but I think it is only part of the equation. As I said, the average user age is mid-20s to early 30s...the Brosnan generation..regardless whether influence came from games, books, or films...it's all James Bond.

Daniel Craig has had three Bond video games since 2008 and Connery had one in 2005. Dalton and Moore had several in the early 1990s and late 1980s.

Here is a poll from the (non-video game website) James Bond Wiki page (everything has a wiki page these days): Wiki Poll. The results are the same, Connery wins, Brosnan is second, and Craig is third.

Edited by 00 Brosnan, 10 May 2011 - 11:52 AM.

#8 THX-007

THX-007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 208 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:29 PM

The problem with Lazenby and Dalton (besides making the least amount of films compared to the other actors) is that 1) their films aren't promoted as much as other films in the series and 2) they feel in between generations
For Lazenby he feel in between the 60's generation and the 70's generation; sandwiched between Connery and Moore
Dalton falls between Moore's era and Bronsan's era (the 90's generation, which I'm a part of)