96 replies to this topic

#91 Jump James

Jump James

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:02 PM

Zencat, I am sure you Waterstones edition is safely stored under some dumbbells in a Royal Mail van somewhere.

Not sure it really makes a difference to collectability regarding the numbers and the value of the books? Number 007 yes, ok that’s worth more than the others but does it really matter if you get lower numbers? I got 36 in the independent edition, I think. It might have been 336.

Anyway, you can see what the three look like care of Mr Lorenz’s wonderful blog. http://illustrated00...te-blanche.html

I’m pleased I didn’t get the Waterstones edition. I got some good socks and pants for that £100 I saved.

#92 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:34 PM

I only received mine yesterday, zencat, so yours shouldn't be too far away.

Jump James - I've got to say, you're probably right about the Waterstone's edition. That's an easy hundred quid they've made there.

#93 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 04:53 AM

Got it today. #21. It's very nice, and the book does have a different braided binding with the sown in bookmark, but it's really overpriced at £100, especially when compared it to the DMC red-box. But, it looks great with all my other specials and I'm happy to have it. :)

#94 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 08:08 AM

Ever get the feeling you've been had? Just a lickle bit? Smidge had? P'raps?

#95 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:04 AM

Got it today. #21.

Fancy a swap? ;)

It's very nice, and the book does have a different braided binding with the sown in bookmark, but it's really overpriced at £100, especially when compared it to the DMC red-box.

The real kicker is that the dustjacket is exactly the same as the UK first... right down to the £19.99 printed on the inside flap. Really, it's not that much different to the Young Bond limited editions - and they retailed for a quarter of the price of this edition.

#96 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 02:37 PM

It's very nice, and the book does have a different braided binding with the sown in bookmark, but it's really overpriced at £100, especially when compared it to the DMC red-box.

The real kicker is that the dustjacket is exactly the same as the UK first... right down to the £19.99 printed on the inside flap. Really, it's not that much different to the Young Bond limited editions - and they retailed for a quarter of the price of this edition.

Oh, the Young Bonds where much more special. Remember, they never came out in hardcover in the UK (in the case of HG, it was a different hardcover). Those Special Editions were one of a kind (and, yes, half the price).

I wish the Waterstones CB had the dust jacket art printed on the boards, like the DMC red box. Or maybe they could have used that proof jacket that they had on all those books for the Dubai photo ops. It really needs to be more to justify that price, IMO.

#97 Brisco

Brisco

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 220 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:02 AM

Oh, the Young Bonds where much more special. Remember, they never came out in hardcover in the UK (in the case of HG, it was a different hardcover). Those Special Editions were one of a kind (and, yes, half the price).

I wish the Waterstones CB had the dust jacket art printed on the boards, like the DMC red box. Or maybe they could have used that proof jacket that they had on all those books for the Dubai photo ops. It really needs to be more to justify that price, IMO.

I agree. I appreciated the little braids glued on for fake stitching and the sewn-in bookmark, but this special edition was nowhere near as satisfying as the recent SilverFin one--and that was a double-dip and a fraction of the price! I don't regret buying the CB Waterstones edition, but I do wish it had been a bit more special for what it cost.