96 replies to this topic

#61 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 02:55 PM

Ordered the indie edition also. Waiting on my copies.

#62 Jump James

Jump James

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 03:00 PM

Did anyone pick up a Waterstone's edition? If so, can you confirm that the book itself is just the normal first (which means it's essentially £100 for a box)? I'm a little put out by this, and I have the opportunity to cancel my order. Wondering if I should.

Yes, I'd like to know. If it's just the box I will give it a miss. If not and it's a bit of a special book I might dive in.

#63 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 03:39 PM

Did anyone pick up a Waterstone's edition? If so, can you confirm that the book itself is just the normal first (which means it's essentially £100 for a box)? I'm a little put out by this, and I have the opportunity to cancel my order. Wondering if I should.

I bought my copy from Waterstone's on the day of release (last Thursday), and it turned out to be a second edition. I've heard of others having difficulties obtaining firsts from Waterstone's.

Wait, the special boxed edition was a second? Or did you get the normal edition?

It appears a lot of people are getting 2nds from Amazon, etc.

#64 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 04:06 PM

2nd Editions! That doesn't sound promising.

#65 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 04:41 PM

The only copy I have coming from Amazon is the North American version.

#66 Jump James

Jump James

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 04:58 PM

I think/hope/suspect Loomis means he just got his standard copy from Waterstones. Can't see a limited edition of 750 having any 2nd editions. (right Loomis?......)

That's would be a first.

#67 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 05:01 PM

I went ahead with the Waterstone's special purchase anyway.

#68 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 05:59 PM

I think/hope/suspect Loomis means he just got his standard copy from Waterstones. Can't see a limited edition of 750 having any 2nd editions. (right Loomis?......)

That's would be a first.

Well, you never know. I certainly never expected that I'd buy a new hardback on its day of release and it would turn out to be a second edition.

But, yes, the copy I bought was the standard edition. I haven't bought any of the limited editions or bells-and-whistles editions.

#69 Jump James

Jump James

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 06:03 PM

If it had a certificate from the estate that would tip me over the edge. Unfortunately all the ones on EBay appears that no one has taken the shrink wrap off to "keep the value"

#70 clublos

clublos

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 315 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 06:05 PM

I went ahead with the Waterstone's special purchase anyway.

Sucker! ;) Just kidding.

I sure hope you get a first in that, because if not, Hodder is going to have some massive explaining to do!

#71 Stainless Steel Teeth INC

Stainless Steel Teeth INC

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 07:17 PM

Hi John,

I'm sorry to say that this Waterstones 'special edition' is far from it and does not compete with the corresponding DMC edition in the red box. I originally pre-ordered the CB version several weeks ago and went along to pick it up on release day last week with a few friends. We had the opportunity to look inside first and sadly the book itself is almost identical to the standard release.

Apart from a silver ribbon page marker there is a simple note alongside the signature indicating that this is the special edition run of 750.

Basically you are being asked to pay £80 for a box.

Fortunately I was able to cancel my order and managed to pick up an 'indie' edition instead. I have already noticed on ebay UK a few of the special edition versions being sold at £90 (10% off) but fully expect the price to drop further in the coming months just as the QOS Bond On Set slipcase version did previously.

Edited by Stainless Steel Teeth INC, 30 May 2011 - 07:18 PM.

#72 Jump James

Jump James

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 07:38 PM

Thanks. Thats my mind made up.

#73 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:03 PM

Thanks, Stainless Steel Teeth INC. Looks like I'm paying £80 for a box :S, but at least it's a nice box. :P

Wasn't the DMC red box only £50? Seems to me they should have asked the same price here. To double the price when the book itself isn't any different... That's not cricket.

#74 Jump James

Jump James

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:14 PM

Thanks, Stainless Steel Teeth INC. Looks like I'm paying £80 for a box :S, but at least it's a nice box. :P

Wasn't the DMC red box only £50? Seems to me they should have asked the same price here. To double the price when the book itself isn't any different... That's not cricket.

Correct £50 for DMC which sold like hot cookies. And your right it's not Cricket. Bond book collecting gone mad. The Waterstones editions should have had a hook to it like a certificate from the estate or somthing a bit special. ironic it's shaped like a fag packet and Bond kicked the habit.

#75 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:08 AM

Bit disappointing to hear the Waterstone's edition doesn't live up to the hype. Hope they hold their value...

#76 braincapers

braincapers

Recruit

• Crew
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:44 PM

That's would be a first.

Well, you never know. I certainly never expected that I'd buy a new hardback on its day of release and it would turn out to be a second edition.

But, yes, the copy I bought was the standard edition. I haven't bought any of the limited editions or bells-and-whistles editions.

My £5 copy from Tesco was bought a few days after release and it's a 1st edition.

#77 Kronsteen

Kronsteen

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 418 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:43 PM

I ordered the British hardcover edition from a Swedish internet book shop on the day of the release. It took 5 days for it to come, and I got a big chock when it arrived... it was a first edition. I did not see that one coming! How did a first edition end up in Sweden? Especially when it seem like Amazon can't deliver first editions...

#78 Jump James

Jump James

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:29 PM

Jeffery's books are not scarce in first editions. What I am guessing happened at Amazon is they had thousands and thousands. Such a big pre-order rate that they had to print a 2nd run already. So pot luck happened. CB will be Deavers biggest selling book to date.

(I'm guessing)

Edited by Jump James, 31 May 2011 - 09:37 PM.

#79 Stainless Steel Teeth INC

Stainless Steel Teeth INC

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:51 AM

Jeffery's books are not scarce in first editions. What I am guessing happened at Amazon is they had thousands and thousands. Such a big pre-order rate that they had to print a 2nd run already. So pot luck happened. CB will be Deavers biggest selling book to date.

(I'm guessing)

When it comes to international sales I think you're right. What will be interesting is to see how well it sells in the States, firstly in comparison to DMC and secondly compared to Deaver's other novels. Will the marketing in America emphasise one over the other to the benefit of both?

Either way I of course hope it does very well so that we get further novels in the near future.

#80 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 08:34 PM

Got my indie edition from MSE Books. I highly recommend them. It's in perfect condition, was very securely packaged, they included a protective cover and one of the WH Smith booklets. I will look to them for the new special. :tup:

http://www.msebooks....e_9781444738216

#81 Jump James

Jump James

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:24 PM

If it's a bog standard First Edition Signed of Carte Blanche your after then click on the wonderful Hatchards

Edited by Jump James, 06 June 2011 - 06:24 PM.

#82 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:48 PM

Got my indie edition from MSE Books. I highly recommend them. It's in perfect condition, was very securely packaged, they included a protective cover and one of the WH Smith booklets. I will look to them for the new special. :tup:

http://www.msebooks....e_9781444738216

Got mine yesterday and I concur. They did a great job with the promptness and nice of them to include the "Jeffery Deaver on writing Carte Blanche" as a bonus.

#83 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 01:54 PM

Hi John,

I'm sorry to say that this Waterstones 'special edition' is far from it and does not compete with the corresponding DMC edition in the red box. I originally pre-ordered the CB version several weeks ago and went along to pick it up on release day last week with a few friends. We had the opportunity to look inside first and sadly the book itself is almost identical to the standard release.

Apart from a silver ribbon page marker there is a simple note alongside the signature indicating that this is the special edition run of 750.

Basically you are being asked to pay £80 for a box.

Fortunately I was able to cancel my order and managed to pick up an 'indie' edition instead. I have already noticed on ebay UK a few of the special edition versions being sold at £90 (10% off) but fully expect the price to drop further in the coming months just as the QOS Bond On Set slipcase version did previously.

Cheers, Stainless Steel Teeth INC

#84 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 02:25 PM

I finally received my Hatchards edition today. Looks really good but I have a question for the collectors. The book has come in Hatchards plastic wrap. Are you taking this off or keeping this on?

#85 Jump James

Jump James

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 02:46 PM

I finally received my Hatchards edition today. Looks really good but I have a question for the collectors. The book has come in Hatchards plastic wrap. Are you taking this off or keeping this on?

eBayer sellers tend to keep them wrapped. Real collectors will open them.

#86 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 04:00 PM

Take the wrap off. It's not acid free and can damage/discolor the book over time.

Received my signed 1st from Brian at Bond and Beyond. Very pleased. Beautiful copy very securely packaged.

Now just waiting on my Waterstones edition (and for one of you to buy be a Bentley edition. ;)).

#87 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 04:46 PM

Thanks guys. Opening it now. :)

#88 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:24 AM

743/750. Bummer.

#89 Jump James

Jump James

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 12:30 PM

743/750. Bummer.

Is that a betting tip?

#90 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:19 PM

Still waiting on my Waterstone's edition. Taking a while. Getting nervous.