12 replies to this topic

#1 AgentM

AgentM

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 06 November 2002 - 01:48 AM

Okay, let's address this in a somewhat official thread.

I am writing a script (actually two) that I honestly think could be made into a Bond movie. I'm not joking, or trying to brag. It just goes beyond that aura in the novels and truly reads LIKE a Brosnan movie. It's modern. It's political. The action is pretty darn good and varied. I honestly think that if I could get ahold of Mike or Ms. Broccoli then they might actually like it.

Is there a procedure for submitting scripts to MGM? I know they generally like to use writers familiar to them and their own ideas, but what are the chances of a student from Canada with no "official" writing experience getting in? I honestly believe it would fit as Bond 21. It brings sort of a "rebirth" aspect to the Bond series, as if it takes place immediately after a major event (aka DAD).

I'd love some feedback. Good Night from Canada

-Agent M-

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 06 November 2002 - 02:02 AM

Studios will look at scripts only if they come represented by an agent. So, first, you need an agent. But as far as Bond goes...I hate to tell you this but Eon will not look at ANY Bond script or idea, even one that comes represented by an agent. Period. All the Bond movies are developed in-house by writers who are already under contract to Eon. Eon does this for their own protection. That's the hard, cold truth of the matter as I understand it.

#3 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 06 November 2002 - 02:10 AM

If you were writing a Bond script I think you'd be submitting it to Eon, not MGM.

The only problem is, Eon has a very strict policy not to accept/read any unsolicited script submissions. Eon pick who they want as screenwriter(s) for a Bond movie.

How does a screenwriter get to be in the producers sights in the first place? I don't know.

Edit: Zencat snuck in before me.
:)

#4 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 06 November 2002 - 02:46 AM

Originally posted by Blofeld's Cat
How does a screenwriter get to be in the producers sights in the first place? I don't know.[/B]

How you do that is you impress them with your non-Bond work. They will read scripts, just not Bond scripts.

#5 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 06 November 2002 - 06:49 AM

Sadly true......

Eon keeps it tight and few in the head offices. Not that they are arrogant or anything of that sort. Far from it by all accounts, but in the franchise driven Studio world that is the motion picture industry today (and really since Star Wars, has been) Bond is the Crown Jewels (no pun intended):)

Write a good script, market it, option it out, develop it, sell it....and if it turns into a good enough movie, maybe Eon will be knocking on your door....or at least we can all hope.

I'm working on a script now (non-Bond), but whenever an idea comes to mind for something Bond I write it down.

The folder is getting pretty thick after 20 years.

Why is it people like myself and Zencat stay in this mad business?????

"Well, it could be that we find selling carpets a bore.";)

#6 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 06 November 2002 - 06:54 AM

not reading any bond scripts is a rare smart move for them. every man and his dog has a bond script, theyd have to spend every single moment reading them and wouldnt have time to actually make movies (although with they films they made earlier this year maybe they should spend their time on something else)

#7 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 06 November 2002 - 08:56 AM

Originally posted by zencat

How you do that is you impress them with your non-Bond work. They will read scripts, just not Bond scripts.

I considered that zencat, but how good was http://us.imdb.com/Credits?0134033#writers and Let Him Have it?

I've never seen either, but I assume that Purvis and Wade were chosen because of these movies.

#8 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 06 November 2002 - 09:15 AM

Well that may not be entirely true. It's a Bond myth, it could be true but I've never had it confirmed, that the character of Jack Wade gets his surname from Robert Wade whom, as the story goes, was an uncredited writer on GoldenEye. The characters name was his 'credit'.

Which brings Robert Wade into the picture, which later brings his friend Neil (presumably they were writing partners before The World is not Enough) into the picture.

#9 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 06 November 2002 - 03:04 PM

Originally posted by Blue Eyes
Well that may not be entirely true. It's a Bond myth, it could be true but I've never had it confirmed, that the character of Jack Wade gets his surname from Robert Wade whom, as the story goes, was an uncredited writer on GoldenEye. The characters name was his 'credit'.

Really? This is something I've never heard before.

#10 AgentM

AgentM

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 06 November 2002 - 10:47 PM

Wow, even though this news is terribly disappointing, I'm amazed at the wealth of replies. Thanks!

Did someone above mention that they were also a screenwriter? I would love to talk with a real one.

#11 spankymoore7

spankymoore7

Cadet

• Crew
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 November 2002 - 08:18 PM

there isnt a lot of fan fiction on this site. what are some web sites where i can find more james bond fan fiction? thanks.

#12 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 09 November 2002 - 12:36 AM

You've caught us in the middle of a revamp of our fan fiction section. Slowly we'll have back up all of the pieces we had before. Plus expect to see a few surprises very soon. :)

In the mean time check out FanFiction.net's James Bond section. There are alot of bad stories in there but a few pretty good ones and one or two gems. Are particularly recommend clinkeroo's From Death's Door, and it's almost complete so you won't have to wait the years I have had to.

#13 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 09 November 2002 - 03:27 AM

I will probably get shot for saying this...but you can find some very good fan fiction (and I am not just saying this because my fan fiction is there), at MI6.co.uk If you click on "features" that will open the gates to fan fiction.

Also, AJB007.co.uk has a fantastic bit of collaborative fan fiction going on right now. If you click on "Today's Posts" it is usually there. If not, search for it with the words "collaborative fan fiction" and you should be able to find it.

-- Xenobia