225 replies to this topic

#91 clublos

clublos

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 315 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 05:16 PM

Hey zen do you have a list of online retailers that are selling the novels? I remember you provided a list for Carte Blanche that was very helpful in tracking down the limited editions. Amazon says it's a 4-7 day wait to ship, so I was wondering about alternatives.

Thanks!

Sorry, I don't have a list for these.

No worries, I found one on john-Gardner.com

#92 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:38 PM

As an fyi, I got an email from Amazon stating there was a supplier delay in obtaining the books with no ETA on when they might ship. I imagine it will resolve itself quickly. I ordered all three books & it doesn't say if it is any one particular title or all three.

#93 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 05:04 PM

As an fyi, I got an email from Amazon stating there was a supplier delay in obtaining the books with no ETA on when they might ship. I imagine it will resolve itself quickly. I ordered all three books & it doesn't say if it is any one particular title or all three.

Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk? Because they're not available in the US until later this year.

#94 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 02:17 PM

Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk? Because they're not available in the US until later this year.

Oops, sorry about that - amazon.co.uk.

#95 clublos

clublos

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 315 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:14 PM

It looks like Amazon.co.uk has updated their info to show LR is available!

#96 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:25 AM

It looks like Amazon.co.uk has updated their info to show LR is available!

My update is they dispatched License Renewed to me today. For Special Services & Icebreaker were given estimated arrival dates of July 19th to July 21st.

#97 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 02:40 PM

Hey zen do you have a list of online retailers that are selling the novels? I remember you provided a list for Carte Blanche that was very helpful in tracking down the limited editions. Amazon says it's a 4-7 day wait to ship, so I was wondering about alternatives.

Thanks!

Sorry, I don't have a list for these.

No worries, I found one on john-Gardner.com

I can't find it there. Do you have a direct link?

#98 clublos

clublos

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 315 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:23 PM

Each page has links to each individual book:

http://www.orionbook...-set-5-hardback
http://www.orionbook...honour-hardback
http://www.orionbook...r-ever-hardback
http://www.orionbook...enewed-hardback
http://www.orionbook...rvices-hardback
http://www.orionbook...reaker-hardback

Busy day at work today or I'd copy each link to the stores. Hope this helps!

#99 Jump James

Jump James

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:03 PM

On the page clublos linked too above it states "Official, original James Bond from a writer described by Len Deighton as a 'master storyteller'"

Did Deighton say this about Gardner? High praise indeed! Wow! :tup:

#100 clublos

clublos

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 315 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:53 AM

On the page clublos linked too above it states "Official, original James Bond from a writer described by Len Deighton as a 'master storyteller'"

I've always wanted to read his non-Bond material, just never got around to it. I wonder if anyone here could recommend a novel?

#101 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:19 AM

I've always wanted to read his non-Bond material, just never got around to it. I wonder if anyone here could recommend a novel?

I've never read any of his non-Bond work either but I suspect some will recommend The Liquidator, The Secret Generations or one of his Moriarty novels.

#102 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 12:18 PM

Anyone received their copies of the first three hardback reprints yet? Looks like Amazon won't ship mine til all five are released.

#103 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 11:48 PM

Anyone received their copies of the first three hardback reprints yet? Looks like Amazon won't ship mine til all five are released.

I received License Renewed on Saturday. The other two that were released with it shipped separately & aren't scheduled to arrive for another two weeks but I'm hopeful they will arrive sooner.

#104 Mark_Hazard

Mark_Hazard

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:51 PM

I've never read any of his non-Bond work either but I suspect some will recommend The Liquidator, The Secret Generations or one of his Moriarty novels.

Definately recommend the Boysie Oakes series, great fun.

#105 Simg

Simg

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:57 AM

Hi Guys glad you are happy about the re-issues of my father's continuation novels.
For the record the artwork(s) you see on the US editions I am reliably informed are
'works in progress' and are not the final jackets. I will let you know more details when I have them.
Today 7th July sees Role of Honour (UK spelling) & Nobody Lives Forever hardbacks published in the UK.
This now means that the first five JG continuation novels are available through all major on line UK Book
retailers with a lot giving pretty good price reductions so if you are a US collector and want the UK editions
with the original (Jonathan Cape) jackets the price break allows you to afford the postage.

Hope You Like Them

SRJG

#106 Simg

Simg

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:19 AM

@Jump James Yes Len Deighton did say that about my Father they knew each other very well and were both big fans of each others work.
As for recommendations for those who have not read his non Bond work, The Liquidator (which was almost the anti Bond 60's) first of
The Boysie Oakes books to start with. I love all the Boysie books. Then, The Secret Generations Trilogy, The Moriarty Trilogy and The Suzie Mountford Novels all highly recommended. Personal other faves of mine are The Werewolf Trace, The Nostradamus Traitor, The Dancing Dodo, Day of Absolution, Confessor and Maestro.

SRJG

#107 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:31 PM

ROH and NFL released today.

http://www.thebookbo...and-nobody.html

#108 Jump James

Jump James

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 08:30 PM

Didnt see any of the Gardner titles in the two chain bookshops I visited today......

#109 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 11:11 AM

I received License Renewed on Saturday. The other two that were released with it shipped separately & aren't scheduled to arrive for another two weeks but I'm hopeful they will arrive sooner.

How do they look?

#110 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:15 PM

@Jeff007 - they look great. We definitely need all of them released in hardcover with the original artwork! Here are two quick photos I took last night. I just got Nobody Lives For Ever in the mail today so I didn't get a chance to include it.

Here are the editions I currently have with the new edition next to it.

Posted Image

A shot of the spines. They look great on the bookshelf lined up next to my Fleming centenary reissues. Now, I need to find the time to read them. :D

Posted Image

#111 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:58 AM

They look splendid.

Can't find them in any local bookshops. Did read somewhere that there's a stock in Waterstone's in Birkenhead - but every desire must have its limits.

#112 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:50 AM

That's great! Thanks for sharing, Professor Dent. Glad I shelled out for them at the last minute.

#113 Simg

Simg

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 83 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:07 PM

They look splendid.

Can't find them in any local bookshops. Did read somewhere that there's a stock in Waterstone's in Birkenhead - but every desire must have its limits.

The Book Depository. Play.com, Amazon.co.uk (com) Waterstones direct. ORION etc etc. have them to order online. If you have a local Waterstones
go in and politely tell them they are missing out on a good thing. Waterstones are a law unto themselves and only this Saturday just gone
did we managed to get copies into the Piccadilly Store in London as they seem to have the books designated at a category 3.
What this means I am not sure and in some respects scared to ask. However apart from Piccadilly, London you can find them at these Waterstones:

Watford
Swansea
Birmingham
Birkenhead
Leeds
Milton Keynes
Sheffield

SRJG

Might actually be a lot quicker to order online

SRJG

#114 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:11 PM

They look splendid.

The Book Depository. Play.com, Amazon.co.uk (com) Waterstones direct. ORION etc etc. have them to order online. If you have a local Waterstones
go in and politely tell them they are missing out on a good thing. Waterstones are a law unto themselves and only this Saturday just gone
did we managed to get copies into the Piccadilly Store in London as they seem to have the books designated at a category 3.
What this means I am not sure and in some respects scared to ask. However apart from Piccadilly, London you can find them at these Waterstones:

Watford
Swansea
Birmingham
Birkenhead
Leeds
Milton Keynes
Sheffield

SRJG

Might actually be a lot quicker to order online

SRJG

Thanks Simon!

Point certainly taken on the online thing but it takes some of the romance out of it; I still like a good browse so will toddle over to Milton Keynes and see what I can see.

That I have just considered shunting around Waterstone's romantic says a huge amount about me, I guess.

#115 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:42 PM

Thanks for sharing, Professor Dent! They look great. I'm wondering if I should purchase these or wait for the boxset in the fall.

#116 Jump James

Jump James

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:45 PM

Well I think Waterstones are missing a trick not stocking these! It's Bond which sells itself. +stunning covers!

Closest is Swansea. Went there once. Never again.

Edited by Jump James, 12 July 2011 - 09:47 PM.

#117 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:03 AM

Thanks for sharing, Professor Dent! They look great. I'm wondering if I should purchase these or wait for the boxset in the fall.

I don't remember seeing anything official but I'm guessing the boxset will come in a slipcover that holds all the books. That may be worth the wait. From the amazon.co.uk prices, it looks like the individual books are prices a bit cheaper right now but, once you add shipping, it's probably close to a wash.

#118 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:13 PM

On the topic of reprints...

http://www.thebookbo...r-reprints.html

#119 golrush007

golrush007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 215 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:52 AM

I just received my hardbacks of Icebreaker, Role of Honour and Nobody Lives For Ever from Amazon.co.uk - free postage to South Africa :) . Very pleased with them. They look nice on the shelf next to my first editions of Licence Renewed and For Special Services. Interesting, I didn't realise that the typeface on the covers was slightly different from the originals, having a rough edge rather than the smooth outline of the letters on the original. Any idea why they did that? I realise that they aren't intended to be reproduction first editions, but it does seem like an odd decision.

Edited by golrush007, 03 August 2011 - 10:54 AM.

#120 Simg

Simg

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 01:50 PM

Regarding the box set there will be an announcement as soon as certain things are finalised.
In response to the typography. I had not noticed the rough edges on the type, and I have no
idea why this was done, however the possibility could be to differentiate between the J Cape
originals and these new editions.

New Update Now Posted @ www.john-gardner.com

SRJG