Connection to "When eight bells toll"?

4 replies to this topic

#1 numan

numan

Cadet

• Crew
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:06 AM

A strange question perhaps – but did anyone notice the similarity between the (fibre glass) machine guns of the ski chase from OHMSS and the the guns in 1969s “When eight bells toll” with Antony Hopkins? George Leech is in both films – does anybody know more about this?

#2 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 02:43 PM

They are Sig 510s.

When Eight Bells Toll was a 1971 film, and it was filmed at Pinewood.

But George Leech was a stuntman & stunt arranger, not a props maker.

John Stears made the weapons for OHMSS - the fiberglass versions with the flash suppressors that lit up. They were made very light because regular/non firing prop weapons were too heavy for the skiers to carry.

So I'd say it is certainly possible that the OHMSS weapons were used in When Eight Bells Toll.

#3 numan

numan

Cadet

• Crew
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:04 PM

Thanks for the info!

(By the way, I never suspected george Leech to be a prop maker - as I have read your marvellous book).

Best wishes,
Tobias

They are Sig 510s.

When Eight Bells Toll was a 1971 film, and it was filmed at Pinewood.

But George Leech was a stuntman & stunt arranger, not a props maker.

John Stears made the weapons for OHMSS - the fiberglass versions with the flash suppressors that lit up. They were made very light because regular/non firing prop weapons were too heavy for the skiers to carry.

So I'd say it is certainly possible that the OHMSS weapons were used in When Eight Bells Toll.

#4 Aces High

Aces High

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 226 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 11:04 AM

I have to say 'When Eight Bells Toll' was a great film,& had an excellent quad poster.For me it does serve a purpose though,why did Anthony Hopkins not get the Bond role.This film answers that,he would have been a poor 007.
The climax of the movie always ,slightly, reminds me of the climax of 'The Spy Who Loved Me' .
Dont get me wrong 'Eight Bells' is great escapism.

#5 numan

numan

Cadet

• Crew
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:29 PM

Yes, I think Hopkins' character comes across as a bit strange, slightly over-confident but seldom in a charming way. Surely a fascinating character but I also could not see him as Bond. The film is very entertaining, lots of atmosphere, great photography and cool orchestra music that sounds a bit like some stuff from the early Scott-Walker-albums (composer Wally Stott also worked with Walker).