67 replies to this topic

#61 JackWade

JackWade

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 04:16 PM

1. Extremely cluttered and confusing layout, in addition to the problem of redundant subforums. It was only just recently that they finally got rid of their "Die Another Day" forum. CBn, on the other hand, is elegantly laid out and streamlined, in my opinion.

I preferred the old MI6 layout. Dark text on a light background is naturally easier on the eyes. There's a reason why newspapers, books and such are printed that way.

I also don't think their layout was cluttered or confusing at all. I thought it was very well organized and certainly much cleaner and user-friendly than the clusterf*** known as their current layout.

That's not a knock on CBn, though. The CBn layout is fine enough and it sure beats the hell out of nuMI6.

2. The quality of the actual forum members. CBn has had its share of bad eggs, but MI6 was far worse in that regard. It was often difficult to maintain a serious topic without it devolving into juvenile banter. One thing I will say in MI6's favor is that their Fan Fiction forum was more interactive and lively than what we have here at CBn. On the other hand, a lot of it was crap.

I think MI6 *may* have been worse in that regard just because it was bigger. With bigger communities, of course you're going to have more bad eggs.

Anywho, as someone who has split time between here and MI6, I think if I were to choose one or the other, I'd much rather set up shop here than at "MI6book." The new layout is infuriatingly awful and I can't bare trying to navigate it.

And by the way, has it ever been divulged why old MI6 diverts here?

Edited by JackWade, 19 March 2011 - 04:19 PM.

#62 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 06:21 PM

I preferred the old MI6 layout. Dark text on a light background is naturally easier on the eyes. There's a reason why newspapers, books and such are printed that way.

All personal preference. I find it easier to read the white on black here at CBn than the dark blue on light blue that the old MI6 had.

#63 OwenDavian

OwenDavian

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 06:34 PM

I'm going to miss the up to the minute news postings in the mi6 forums.

#64 PeteNeon

PeteNeon

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 406 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 09:23 PM

How can you actually access the website now? It still redirects here for me.

Edit: I've found it now, but it looks practically the same?

Edited by PeteNeon, 19 March 2011 - 09:25 PM.

#65 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 09:26 PM

The main site looks the same. But this 'thing' doesn't...

http://www.mi6community.com/

#66 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:08 PM

By the way, I haven't read the term "amelioration" in years.

Curiously, my introduction to this word was via the French version, améliorer. To improve. I was improving my French, you see.

And from that I learned the English variation.

#67 201050

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 69 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:43 PM

New member here. Long time member over at the other place, but I had to say goodbye. I struggled for years with the cliques and moderator wannabees. This recent loss of years of posting, thoughts, & time were enough - not to mention their cavalier attitude about it.

Particulars;
First film in the theater was Live And Let Die. Uber-nerd ever since.

#68 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:18 PM

Welcome 201050. :)

Reply to this topic