67 replies to this topic

#1 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:40 PM

So a certain other popular Bond fansite that in my experience is inferior to CBn keeps redirecting to CBn automatically when I enter the address. Am I alone in this or did something happen that I didn't know about?

#2 Jaws0178

Jaws0178

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1612 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:35 PM

So we are hosting the MI-6 members again, huh? Wonder what happened this time. This happens occasionally.

#3 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 11:18 PM

They upgraded to a new server. A whole new website format and everything. Looks terrible. And from the looks of it, all the old posts from the original forum are gone and not archived anywhere.

#4 Tubes

Tubes

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 11:19 PM

MI6 no longer exists as you may have known it. It is gone. All of it. There was an archive up yesterday, but that to has expired.

The new site is now called MI6 Community and takes some hints from Twitter and Facebook.

Some have gone on board with the new format, but a lot of us are distressed by the suddenness of the transition, the lack of any warning, and the apathetic attempts at management to explain their reasoning of the former.

#5 BJMDDS

BJMDDS

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 11:25 PM

So a certain other popular Bond fansite that in my experience is inferior to CBn keeps redirecting to CBn automatically when I enter the address. Am I alone in this or did something happen that I didn't know about?

Inferior website? How so? True, they treated their posters like refuse by deleting all history of their years of posting, but as a website vs. this one, how were they inferior, and why is their website being directed here? Are you saying there is little connection?

Inferior website? How so? True, they treated their posters like refuse by deleting all history of their years of posting, but as a website vs. this one, how were they inferior, and why is their website being directed here? Are you saying there is little connection?

#6 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 11:40 PM

What a totally god awful lay out.

#7 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:23 AM

]Inferior website? How so? True, they treated their posters like refuse by deleting all history of their years of posting, but as a website vs. this one, how were they inferior, and why is their website being directed here? Are you saying there is little connection?

Off the top of my head:

1. Extremely cluttered and confusing layout, in addition to the problem of redundant subforums. It was only just recently that they finally got rid of their "Die Another Day" forum. CBn, on the other hand, is elegantly laid out and streamlined, in my opinion.

2. The quality of the actual forum members. CBn has had its share of bad eggs, but MI6 was far worse in that regard. It was often difficult to maintain a serious topic without it devolving into juvenile banter. One thing I will say in MI6's favor is that their Fan Fiction forum was more interactive and lively than what we have here at CBn. On the other hand, a lot of it was crap.

I also think the fact that the webmasters there completely lost every post ever made and switched to a radically new layout overnight kind of sums up my feelings about MI6. I had some pals there but due to the new layout and their reckless disregard in handling the transition to the new site, I doubt I'll be returning.

#8 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:25 AM

No harm meant by the comment. I guess if I had to pick loyalties (which I think the idea to do so is ridiculous) I would throw them in CBn's pool. Shame really. I never like to see a Band fansite possibly risk alienating its former following by a radical change. Who knows maybe I'm wrong in saying the deletion of past forum history entirely would. I just know I would not be pleased.

Edited by Chief of SIS, 15 March 2011 - 12:30 AM.

#9 Agent Leiter

Agent Leiter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 160 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 02:32 AM

The new site is now called MI6 Community and takes some hints from Twitter and Facebook.

Some hints?

It'll be a wonder if facebook doesn't sue.

I love the MI6 community and will give it a chance because I admire the quality of the posters. I intend to stay and fight the good fight, but odds are good I will be spending a good deal more time here than I used to.

#10 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 02:48 AM

Inferior website? How so?

I post on both sites, but have been on cbn much longer, more frequently and I think CBn is a far better site. I think the layout is far superior and there is no question that CBn has been much more technically maintained over the years.

As to the quality of the posters, I guess it is all personal preference, but I have many people on CBn who I consider friends and that is not the case (for me personally) for those on MI6.

The main reason I sometimes post on MI6 is that recently there seems to be more discussion going on on MI6 where CBn has been a bit quieter.

#11 j7wild

j7wild

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 79 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 03:12 AM

I was extremely active at MI6 the last 5 1/2 years and for the entire forum to be nuked overnight out of existence; it just doesn't make sense to me.

We were only given maybe 2 hrs to salvage what we wanted and at the end, all the threads were just jumbled together with only the newest ones showing.

5 1/2 years of hard work and dedication (and there are members there who have been at MI6 longer than I have) gone in a split second.

We still haven't received a good enough explanation from the owner of MI6, I won't mention him by name but I am sure many here at CBn knows who he is, why this has happened and why we were not given any advance warning or given a chance to salvage our threads.

#12 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 03:59 AM

5 1/2 years of hard work and dedication (and there are members there who have been at MI6 longer than I have) gone in a split second.

We still haven't received a good enough explanation from the owner of MI6, I won't mention him by name but I am sure many here at CBn knows who he is, why this has happened and why we were not given any advance warning or given a chance to salvage our threads.

The Team here is equally as puzzled. I can certainly understand your frustration having been a member of CBn for nearly nine years and a moderator for eight of those myself.

Whenever we have upgraded either our server or the site layout, it was a Team effort and nothing was ever done without careful planning and then, before execution, we made our community here aware and did it in stages. Granted, it never has gone smoothly (there's always going to be a glitch here and there) but we address it and fix it as best we can and the whole thing is an unending learning process.

Sometimes it's a well oiled machine and sometimes it can be a train wreck...We like to keep it at least a well oiled train wreck, but always running smoothly and on track.

So, for any of you that wish to "come in from the cold" feel free to make yourself at home here at CBn.

The fire is warm and the bar is always open...Aside from the retinal scan activated lock on the Bryce "single-malt vault" and Jaguar007's wine cabinets. Just ask either one of us first.

Tess - our CBn girl at the top of the forum page - mixes a fine martini, pours a hefty pint and always has the champagne flutes chilled. ;)

"...and she also plays a good game of chess." ;)

Now...Let's talk shop. :tup:

#13 OwenDavian

OwenDavian

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:31 AM

New MI6 is totally confusing.

#14 Agent Leiter

Agent Leiter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 160 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:37 AM

Well, I certainly appreciate the hospitality!

I'm sure there's room in my heart for more than one forum anyway, and while I have always loved MI6 (and expect in spite of whatever my come that I shall continue to do so) I do like the way your fine forum here is maintained, gentlemen. :)

#15 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:07 AM

Tess - our CBn girl at the top of the forum page - mixes a fine martini, pours a hefty pint and always has the champagne flutes chilled. ;)

Hey Bryce,
Will you tell Tess that we are running very low on Ruinart Blac de Blancs! We may need it!

Everyone else from MI6, welcome to CBn.

#16 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:16 AM

Well, I certainly appreciate the hospitality!

I'm sure there's room in my heart for more than one forum anyway, and while I have always loved MI6 (and expect in spite of whatever my come that I shall continue to do so) I do like the way your fine forum here is maintained, gentlemen. :)

You're quite welcome.

Hey Bryce,
Will you tell Tess that we are running very low on Ruinart Blac de Blancs! We may need it!

Everyone else from MI6, welcome to CBn.

I left her a post-it note about it and to pick up some of the Springbank '73...Poor girl has been running mad about the city with our mutual requests and stocking up on the beluga for all our new guests. God bless her...I put a call into my contact at Harrods on the caviar. Call that friend of yours at Davidoffs for the cigars. I also booked a floor of suites at the St. James for anyone that needs a room and my tailor at Dunhill is available but that's on your own dime lads.

#17 blueman

blueman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:16 AM

Yeah it's weirdness, but be interesting to see things a year or two from now. I dunno, just kinda weird.

#18 j7wild

j7wild

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 79 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:09 AM

The Team here is equally as puzzled. I can certainly understand your frustration having been a member of CBn for nearly nine years and a moderator for eight of those myself.

Whenever we have upgraded either our server or the site layout, it was a Team effort and nothing was ever done without careful planning and then, before execution, we made our community here aware and did it in stages. Granted, it never has gone smoothly (there's always going to be a glitch here and there) but we address it and fix it as best we can and the whole thing is an unending learning process.

Sometimes it's a well oiled machine and sometimes it can be a train wreck...We like to keep it at least a well oiled train wreck, but always running smoothly and on track.

So, for any of you that wish to "come in from the cold" feel free to make yourself at home here at CBn.

The fire is warm and the bar is always open...Aside from the retinal scan activated lock on the Bryce "single-malt vault" and Jaguar007's wine cabinets. Just ask either one of us first.

Now...Let's talk shop. :tup:

Thank you for the warm welcome!

Tess is cute!

Too bad I am married!

:P

#19 TPM007

TPM007

Recruit

• Crew
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 11:52 AM

I was extremely active at MI6 the last 5 1/2 years and for the entire forum to be nuked overnight out of existence; it just doesn't make sense to me.

We were only given maybe 2 hrs to salvage what we wanted and at the end, all the threads were just jumbled together with only the newest ones showing.

Hey, I was on MI6 for over 7 years, and no offense CBn, I found it superior. But now... well I don't understand it. And I certainly don't understand why the MI6 main page has gone down also.

But hey, I'm already liking the new place here, so Hi everyone!

#20 AViewToAPussy

AViewToAPussy

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 01:25 PM

I dislike greatly the new format of the MI6 forums. Very cold to look at. This site is far superior. I'm glad I cancelled my account there. Pity the poor souls who have to deal with that layout.

#21 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 03:14 PM

Hey, I was on MI6 for over 7 years, and no offense CBn, I found it superior. But now... well I don't understand it. And I certainly don't understand why the MI6 main page has gone down also.

But hey, I'm already liking the new place here, so Hi everyone!

Hello yourself and welcome to what I call the craziest corner of Her Majesty's Secret Service.

My office is on the seventh floor. If you hear any John Barry or Rat-Pack music, that usually means I'm about. Loelila always has some fresh coffee and the decanter on my file cabinet presently is filled with some fine scotch that's old enough to buy itself. ;)

#22 Perilagu Khan

Perilagu Khan

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 03:27 PM

I've been a member of MI6 since November, 2004, and I really haven't decided what I'm going to do about my Bond activity on the Internet. In all honesty, if this site were as active as MI6 I'd probably relocate here. I tried it once, after MI6 experienced an unexplained week-long outage, but there just wasn't enough posting to hold my interest. Perhaps the activity has picked up here. If so, I may become a regular poster.

#23 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 03:46 PM

"The Winklevoss Brothers are on Line One - they want their 2004 lay-out back!".

Never really liked the layout on MI6. Over-confusing when it didn't need to be. And dated colouring too.

#24 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:20 PM

"The Winklevoss Brothers are on Line One - they want their 2004 lay-out back!".

Never really liked the layout on MI6. Over-confusing when it didn't need to be. And dated colouring too.

Dated it may have been, but it at least it wasn't as hard on the eyes as Cb.n's interface.

Black backgrounds went out of style more than a decade ago.

#25 clublos

clublos

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 315 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:31 PM

I hope all of the MI6 folk feel welcome here. It's a shame their place of residence is gone, hopefully we'll provide a place of solace.

#26 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:52 PM

Black backgrounds went out of style more than a decade ago.

Two decades actually. Which should make the black backgrounds the next big thing, shouldn't it? As usual, CBn is ahead of the pack.

#27 bondfisher007

bondfisher007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:53 PM

the administrators must be happy since it's going to be more active this site. for sure you guys need more moderators

#28 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:02 PM

I feel our Team (mods) is pretty solid these days but with this possible influx of MI6 members crossing over, it's going to get busy. With Bond 23 and the new book and the 50th anniversary of the cinematic 007, things are going to get crazy.

All I can say is that we'll do our best...As always.

On we go.

#29 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:08 PM

I may be wrong but I think around these shores the general idea is more about..., how to put it? Substance? Esprit? I shiver to use the word: Quality? At any rate, a certain balance between quantitative content and qualitative idea and ideally a comprehensible train of thought. Post figures in the thousands are not exactly encouraged, nor are they celebrated to the same extent they used to be at the other place.

Don't get this wrong, this just means custom here is somewhat different. No need to be afraid I'd think.

Edited by Dustin, 15 March 2011 - 05:20 PM.

#30 Parasyte

Parasyte

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 197 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:23 PM

http://www.mi6commun...lear-up-the-air

Hi folks, I'll try to explain some stuff here to clear the air.

Seeing the amount of material which was available to us, being the very best looking and maintained James Bond web site, a very large forum community and a nice magazine, you likely can understand that this wasn't the child of one person. The original site and forum which we loved and were members of (for 8 years in my case and I wasn't in when it started) was owned by a membership group that lasted quite a while, but as things changed over the years, some people joined the core group, others have parted.

The core team which handled the main sites and monitored the forum remains intact and now handles the new main site (http://www.mi6-hq.com), the magazine (http://www.mi6confidential.com/) and the new forums. As has already been explained multiple times, technical issues of having such a large database with defunct software prevented its transition, and is also why the orginal forum was never upgraded, despite the best efforts of all involved. Sadly, it was has not been possible to keep the old domain names and the original registrant is in control of where they point and the forum database.

Unfortunately all attempts so far to resolve this situation have failed. It isn't that the administrators don't care, believe me I know that they do and if they didn't I would have left, most of you know I have before, for 18 months or so before James Page summoned me back.

I know that they care, and that this situation has been the most difficult the admin group has made in their 13 years. Just like you, I am deeply saddened that the old content isn't currently available and hope that a resolution is possible where the "new" admin can take control of the old forum content.

This is all I have right now, I'm not even sure I could come out with this.
Some things you can't talk about prior to resolution...
Please understand that until these issues is resolved, we may not answer further questions.

Luds sort of explained the situation in that thread about what has happened, but why he didn't just say someone must have p**sed off Wheatley, the domain registrant, and not try and puff it out with all that "defunct software" stuff I don't know.

The only thing that intrigues me is why Wheatley (if it is still him in charge of the domain anyway - Whois search says he is) would have diverted the MI6 and MI6Forums urls to the CBn equivlent links.

Reply to this topic