"I'll buy you a delicatessen - in stainless steel!"

13 replies to this topic

#1 AViewToAPussy

AViewToAPussy

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 06:01 PM

What IS Blofeld talking about as he screams to Bond from his aerial wheelchair?

#2 draxingtonstanley

draxingtonstanley

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 06:42 PM

An excellent question. I have pondered this myself(so sad how one can waste time)and my best guess is that it is some sort of in joke by the filmakers,the origins of which
remain obscure to the wider fimgoing public.
It is a frustrating enigma,but I try to keep my hair on.

#3 AViewToAPussy

AViewToAPussy

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 06:46 PM

An excellent question. I have pondered this myself(so sad how one can waste time)and my best guess is that it is some sort of in joke by the filmakers,the origins of which
remain obscure to the wider fimgoing public.
It is a frustrating enigma,but I try to keep my hair on.

Perhaps he knew Bond had a delicatessen fetish? :S

#4 Ambler

Ambler

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:25 PM

Perhaps he knew Bond had a delicatessen fetish? :S

Jason Bourne had a stainless steel kitchen, IIRC. Is that stage one of the fetish?

#5 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:40 PM

I remember we had one thread about thais some time ago and it was preety entertaining with all the ideas posted. I really can't find it perhaps someone remembers?

To get in the topic discussion I've no idea what Blofeld is talking about.

EDIT: Just found it!

#6 draxingtonstanley

draxingtonstanley

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:43 PM

I remember we had one thread about thais some time ago and it was preety entertaining with all the ideas posted. I really can't find it perhaps someone remembers?

I don't suppose you'd care to share that information?

#7 Agent Leiter

Agent Leiter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 160 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 02:45 AM

Seems it would be worth the read.

The quote itself is completely random in that sequence...

#8 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:52 PM

The quote isn't entirely random. I refered to the topic subject at the end of my post. Anyway here's the link for anybody that wants to have a read. http://debrief.comma..._1#entry1098487

#9 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:05 PM

I would love to see a comedy bit "what if BOnd had taken BLofeld up on his offer"

We see James Bond making sandwiches happily ignoring the newscast on the deli TV reporting crimes like "Gold in Fort Knox all stolen, world government pays SPECTRE not to detonate bombs etc, lasers from the sky destroying buildings etc..."

#10 Jump James

Jump James

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:26 PM

John Glen said on the directors commentary that it was a bit of a brainstorming sesssion to come up with a witty line and Cubby came up the the delicatessen one. Also mentions it in the thread that was linked too above.

#11 Agent Leiter

Agent Leiter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 160 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:37 PM

The quote isn't entirely random. I refered to the topic subject at the end of my post. Anyway here's the link for anybody that wants to have a read. http://debrief.comma..._1#entry1098487

Thanks for the link! An amusing read and an interesting idea

However, within the film the offer is completely random. The motivation (that being Blofeld's desire not to lose his life) makes sense, but why on earth would a man in that position offer to buy someone like James Bond a delicatessen? An offer of money, power, etc makes sense... but Bond, being someone whom Blofeld has tangled with before and understands at least on some level is instead offered a stainless steel delicatessen.

A stainless steel delicatessen.

The oddly specific offer comes completely out of left field and is thus utterly random, making no logical sense in the context of the scene. Don't get me wrong though, I wouldn't change a thing. ;)

#12 AViewToAPussy

AViewToAPussy

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 11:53 PM

I would love to see a comedy bit "what if BOnd had taken BLofeld up on his offer"

We see James Bond making sandwiches happily ignoring the newscast on the deli TV reporting crimes like "Gold in Fort Knox all stolen, world government pays SPECTRE not to detonate bombs etc, lasers from the sky destroying buildings etc..."

Hahahaha! I like it.

#13 Miles Miservy

Miles Miservy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 03:24 PM

The line was thrown in at the last minute, during editing. It's rumored that Cubby didn't know about it until it was too late and to say that it pissed him off, was an understatement. The same could be said about the clown whistle during the signature stunt of Golden Gun. Cubby was DEFINATELY not pleased about that.

#14 Wade

Wade

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 03:37 PM

According to IMDb:

"It seems that a delicatessen was a popular mafia commodity back in the roaring 20's and 30's, and the most valuable delis were the ones with stainless steel countertops (easy to clean, thus less bacteria-laden than wooden chopping blocks). Consequently, a 'delicatessen in stainless steel' was considered a worthy gift and thus a potent bribe. It is reported that the phrase is attributable to Albert R. Broccoli."

I would imagine that this is probably a joke in some other countries. Since the Bonds are such worldwide faves, I think the producers have long tried to insert references and humor that appeal to all kinds of people. Thus, Americans in some Bond films have satisfied the stereotype "cowboy" Yank, the way some people in other countries see us here in the USA.