8 replies to this topic

#1 00 Brosnan

00 Brosnan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 07:38 AM

I realize there are people using these forums from all over the world so the percentage of users who have experienced what I am talking about is probably limited, but I was just curious.

Has anyone ever been on the "License to Thrill" 007 ride at Paramount's Kings Dominion in Virginia?

I grew up in VA and experienced the ride several times throughout the years. It was really fun and probably the closest thing to actually being in the action-packed situations Bond finds himself in in the films. It's like playing a Bond videogame on a combo of steroids and acid.

Kings Dominion "License to Thrill" James Bond Ride: Link

Anyone else know of any theme park 007 rides around the world?

#2 Canada

Canada

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 05:15 PM

I believe the ride has disappeared from King's Dominion, I am not aware of any other ones, but that is a good question.

#3 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:23 AM

It was in Canada's Wonderland in Toronto years ago. I went on it a few times. Had a Desmond Llewelyn and Dame Judi Dench briefing you before entering.

I'd love to just own the video of it.

#4 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:35 PM

It was in Canada's Wonderland in Toronto years ago. I went on it a few times. Had a Desmond Llewelyn and Dame Judi Dench briefing you before entering.

I'd love to just own the video of it.

Agreed. I've got a copy of the script somewhere, but it would be great to see the video.

#5 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:50 PM

Major Tallon if you have the script handy perhaps you can check something? I seem to recall the villain's name being Thorn and 007 quips, "He was a thorn in my side" as he dispatches him. Am I close?

#6 Goodnight

Goodnight

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:43 PM

It was at the IMAX theater down in Southwark, London, ages ago.

I think it was there at the same time TND was released, I went to see it, but I don't (now) remember anything much about it. But that was 14 years ago, so I think I can be forgiven for not remembering.

#7 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:28 AM

Major Tallon if you have the script handy perhaps you can check something? I seem to recall the villain's name being Thorn and 007 quips, "He was a thorn in my side" as he dispatches him. Am I close?

Hi, Jeff007. You're close. The villain is Gunther Thorne, and Bond, during a chase sequence, says the line, "This man is becoming a 'thorn' in my side." The ride continues, however. According to the script, Bond ultimately fires a rocket at Thorne with the words "Have a blast!" Thorne screams out Bond's name, and the screen is filled with debris from the resulting explosion. Bond then leaps into a lake with Doctor Callie Reeves (the heroine, who has done extensive research on earthquakes), asking her "So Doctor, Can you teach me how to make the earth move?" She replies, "Oh, Mr. Bond," and Q has the last word: "Oh, grow up, 007."

#8 mrevans

mrevans

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:58 AM

I went there two years ago. The "License to Thrill" is gone. It is now a SpongeBob Squarepants 3D ride. Shame. I rode the bond ride when I was a kid and I remember it being awesome. Wish it was still there. Not that Spongebob's not fun. :)

#9 Jaws0178

Jaws0178

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1612 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:33 PM

If you are talking about the one I think you are, it was a days of Thunder ride when I went. Sounds fun though.