An adaptation of Richard Maibaum's 1969 screenplay

#2 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 09:07 PM

Glad to see this come to the forum, chrisno1!

I have been party to the first chapter of this and I have to say chrisno's usualy way with words hasn't failed him this time around either. You're all in for a treat.

#3 chrisno1

chrisno1

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 10:05 PM

Coming soon to CommanderBond.net

Attached File  OHMSS67-2.jpg   28.13KB   10 downloads

New Year's Day 2011

O.H.M.S.S.'67

Dare you miss it ?

Far up! Far out! Far more!
James Bond 007 is back in action!

#4 chrisno1

chrisno1

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 11:50 PM

Coming soon to CommanderBond.net

Attached File  OHMSS 67.jpg   66.79KB   6 downloads

Coming New Year's Day 2011

O.H.M.S.S.'67

Dare you miss it ?

Far up! Far out! Far more!
James Bond 007 is back in action!

Author's Note

On Her Majesty’s Secret Service remains, for me, one of the too few times the James Bond film franchise has honestly adapted its source novel. Along with From Russia With Love and Goldfinger, it is the closest to Fleming’s own vision, as presented in his books. There has always been, among Bond aficionados, a great sense of loss that fans were deprived of an authentic interpretation of the “Blofeld Trilogy” due in part to logistical reasons (there was no where in the world resembling a real Piz Gloria in 1966) and a belief that OHMSS was a “Thunderball on skis.” This adaptation does not veer far from Richard Maibaum’s 1969 screenplay. That was never my intention. What I have attempted to do is embellish the story we see on screen with a thorough background. For instance, I wanted to explain to the reader why James Bond wants to resign from the S.I.S., why he falls in love with Tracy and where the mission goes wrong. To that end this probably reads more like a Fleming novel than a movie adaptation. Not as good as Fleming of course, although I did often refer to his original work for inspiration. While I have utilised chunks of Maibaum’s screen dialogue, the lines are not always where you expect them to be. Some, I am afraid, have been cut out and others not featured in the movie added. I have also created several bridging scenes. In this respect O.H.M.S.S.’67 is more like Christopher Wood’s James Bond, The Spy Who Loved Me. The other, most obvious, difference is telling the story from James Bond’s point of view, as Fleming would have done. The incidental scenes featuring other characters, with two notable exceptions, have all been removed or significantly re-interpreted. I’m not expecting praise for this piece - it is something of a vanity project - but I hope readers will enjoy it anyway.

#5 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 12:38 AM

Can't wait to catch the chapters I've not been privelege too :D

#6 chrisno1

chrisno1

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 01:16 AM

Just to let my readers know, I won't be hanging about posting this novel. After all, it is a very familiar story to us all! Once a chapter is posted, I'll follow it in a day or so with he next one. Hopefully be through around about Valentines...

Happy reading.

#7 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:40 PM

The writing is beyond criticism in my book. This is a reading treat I will indeed cherish this year. What a wonderful project to take up Chrisno1.

Roger

#8 chrisno1

chrisno1

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 11:35 PM

The writing is beyond criticism in my book. This is a reading treat I will indeed cherish this year. What a wonderful project to take up Chrisno1.

Roger

And I hope you enjoy it :)
It isn't adding anything new, but I think it features some of my best prose yet, although I didn't have to worry so much about dialogue!
CHAPTER 4 DUE SOON...

#9 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:35 AM

This is, I must say, just as pleasant and exciting as reading Fleming's OHMSS (My all time favorite Bond novel). I must say this before I come to my actual point, I wasn't much of a Lazenby fan to tell the truth. I'm sorry to say but after Connery, I could never accept another Bond. My loss of course so don't get me wrong. I loved the film and it is among the best in my list and I would never knock George for his portrayal of Bond although I might sound slightly contradictory having just written that.

Now to the point of my popping in again - this novelization (can I call it that?) of the film script OHMSS is fantastic. The way Chrisno is describing the whole thing is so absorbing, so classic. I can finally see the film inside my mind with Bond as I can imagine him.

Am I rambling on here?

Sorry. But I just had to write that.

Again though, Chrisno1's OHMSS '67 is just as pleasant and as exciting, not to mention fresh and involving, as it was when I picked up the Pan Book OHMSS from only God knows where and dived into the world of Ian Fleming and his masterspy Mister James Bond for the very first time!!!!

The best Chrisno1 Bond fan fic yet, in my book!!! Please keep it coming

#10 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:32 AM

Top marks, Chris. The prose here is a perfect blend of your own style and the master spy writer's himself. You've also got a great handle on writing action scenes which is always a plus for me (I've often struggled with envisioning action scenes when reading screenplays, for instance). Keep up the fantastic work. :tup:

#11 chrisno1

chrisno1

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:42 PM

I've been somewhat remiss in not uploading further chapters for a couple of weeks.
Rest assured I am back on the case.
Just submitted....
Bond travels to Piz Gloria....

ENJOY ! :D

#12 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:19 PM

Wonderful writing Chris!

You said you are not adding anything new to this story! Well forgive me for saying friend but that's [censored] with a capital B! You are adding a wonderful uniqueness in the way you write. Your hold on the reader's imagination and attention is indeed strong. You don't let go. You have succeeded, in my book, where many other writers have failed, myself included, capturing the exceptionality of Fleming perfectly.

Roger Mulvaney

#13 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:48 PM

Interesting idea.

#14 chrisno1

chrisno1

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:39 AM

Wonderful writing Chris!

You said you are not adding anything new to this story! Well forgive me for saying friend but that's [censored] with a capital B! You are adding a wonderful uniqueness in the way you write. Your hold on the reader's imagination and attention is indeed strong. You don't let go. You have succeeded, in my book, where many other writers have failed, myself included, capturing the exceptionality of Fleming perfectly.

Roger Mulvaney

Thanks Roger, much appreciated. I think you do your self an injustice too...
I am completing Charm the Devil and it truly sings Fleming to me.

Anyway, tomorrow Bond meets Blofeld... or is it the Count de Bleuchamp?

Interesting idea.

Let me know if you think it succeeds, Jim.

#15 chrisno1

chrisno1

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 01:34 PM

O.H.M.S.S.'67

James Bond has infiltrated the Bleuchamp Institute and met his nemesis, the Count de Bleuchamp, who he believes to be Blofeld, the head of SPECTRE. But Bond is puzzled by a strange laboratory and the presence of a dozen beautiful young women, supposably being cured of their food allergies. Determined to uncover the secrets of Piz Gloria, Bond visits one of the patients, Ruby...

The room was almost in total darkness. The only light came from the fire that flickered energetically in one corner, throwing orange shadows across the walls. Ruby’s room had virtually the same layout as his. The king size bed stretched into the middle of the floor. Bond could see the girl, laid on her front, dozing. A ruffled sheet was strewn haphazardly across her legs. The nude body looked full, fleshy, well fed. It’s all the chicken, thought Bond.

The story continues next week...

Edited by chrisno1, 06 February 2011 - 01:37 PM.

#16 chrisno1

chrisno1

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 02:16 PM

O.H.M.S.S.'67

reaches its shattering conclusion....

I hope everyone enjoys reading this as much as I enjoyed writing it.

Thank you.

#17 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:20 PM

O.H.M.S.S.'67

reaches its shattering conclusion....

I hope everyone enjoys reading this as much as I enjoyed writing it.

Thank you.

Superb chrisno1.

It deserves a place amongst my Bond novel collection which is why I will go to all the trouble of printing it out and binding it in book form when it is completed.

Such a piece of work deserves no less.

Well bloody done!

#18 chrisno1

chrisno1

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:40 PM

Superb chrisno1.

It deserves a place amongst my Bond novel collection which is why I will go to all the trouble of printing it out and binding it in book form when it is completed.

Such a piece of work deserves no less.

Well bloody done!

High praise indeed! ;)

Thanks for the support, Harry. As you know I am admirer of your work, so while I dont want to get into mutual appreciation and back slapping, I'm very touched you enjoyed it so plentifully. Despite my reservations, it does have a certain Fleming-esque feel to it and at times even I find it exciting and emotional!

My modern version of James Bond will hopefully return later this year...

#19 chrisno1

chrisno1

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:26 PM

Things have gone a bit quiet on the Fan Fiction front. I expect everyone is anticipating Carte Blanche. Jeffrey Deaver's contribution to Fan Fiction, perhaps? :S

Anyway, I just wanted to thank everyone who has taken the time read some or all of O.H.M.S.S.'67 which has just passed the 1000 download mark, making it my fifth 'thousand reader.'

My latest opus has rather hit the skids, I'm afraid, but hopefully a dose of Deaver will inspire me. :D

Keep reading and writing! ;)