#1 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:57 AM

I can't believe there's no thread about this yet. According to 007 MAGAZINE:

The Boscobel Aerodrome in Jamaica is be renamed the Ian Fleming International Airport in honour of the late James Bond author who lived in the north-eastern parish of St. Mary where the facility is located.

Minister with responsibility for Information, Telecommunications and Special Projects, Daryl Vaz said Cabinet has approved the recommendation for the name change.

The late Ian Fleming lived at 'Goldeneye' in Oracabessa, St. Mary. There, he wrote all 14 of his novels on which the famous James Bond series of movies are based.

"The Airports Authority of Jamaica is of the view that the new name will significantly enhance the marketing of the airport and the area to the international aviation community and, therefore should prove to be a 'value-added' asset," Vaz said.

He said that the use of the late author's name has been approved by the Fleming family.

http://www.007magazine.co.uk/news.htm

#2 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 28 November 2010 - 07:44 AM

Now wouldn't this be amusing - picture the scene - an aircraft lands on a runway in Jamaica, a certain secret agent is seen walking up to the terminal, and, to the accompaniment of that theme tune the camera moves from the man to a large sign and the legend "Ian Fleming International Airport".

I'd like to see Bond back in Jamaica, and that would certainly be one way to re-introduce him to it. An unworthy thought, I know, but you don't suppose the Jamaican cabinet minister mentioned above had the words "future Bond film location" in mind, do you? ;)

#3 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 09:39 AM

How interesting - we land here when we visit my mother. Will take a photo next time.

#4 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 01:26 PM

Nice news, I know the airport and it's quite small. Unless they really did some expanding in the past few year. I flew in there on a small Cessna from Kingston once.

#5 Donovan

Donovan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:03 PM

Pretty cool. And it's official now.

#6 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:12 PM

You guys need to occasionally look at this excellent website: http://www.thebookbond.com/ ;)

#7 Revelator

Revelator

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:29 AM

Alas, the airport's name has now ignited controversy: "Storm over airport name--St Mary residents believe outstanding J’can better choice than Ian Fleming."

The comments section is now closed, but I had attempted to write the following:

How sad that most of the comments here can't even spell "Fleming" right! Ian Fleming lovingly wrote about Jamaica in three of his novels, and several articles: these, along with the movies made from his books that were also set in Jamaica, helped raise Jamaica's international profile immensely, brought in millions of dollars, and helped make Jamaica one of the most famous islands in the world. That people are unaware of this can be chalked up to historical ignorance.

#8 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:17 AM

Alas, the airport's name has now ignited controversy: "Storm over airport name--St Mary residents believe outstanding J’can better choice than Ian Fleming."

The comments section is now closed, but I had attempted to write the following:

How sad that most of the comments here can't even spell "Fleming" right! Ian Fleming lovingly wrote about Jamaica in three of his novels, and several articles: these, along with the movies made from his books that were also set in Jamaica, helped raise Jamaica's international profile immensely, brought in millions of dollars, and helped make Jamaica one of the most famous islands in the world. That people are unaware of this can be chalked up to historical ignorance.

Bravo, Revelator.

Some imbeciles splashed black paint over the airport sign less than twenty-four hours after it was dedicated, in what must have seemed to them like making a statement. They appear to have been unaware of Fleming's genuine fondness for the island and for its people. What a shame.