5 replies to this topic

#1 THX-007

THX-007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 208 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 05:40 PM

I have an interesting idea. With future 007 films now on hold, why not 007 radio dramas?

This idea came from looking at the Doctor Who audiobooks in which present and former Doctors read novelizations of serials, a full cast radio drama, or a completely new story.
An example of this would be the BBC radio play of Shada, an unaired Tom Baker era serial written by the late Douglas Adams. In the radio play John Leeson and Lalla Ward return to voice K-9 and Romana and Paul McGann returns as the Eight Doctor. McGann sadly only got to play the Doctor once in an 1996 TV movie that was essentially a pilot for a new season of Doctor Who. But with audiobooks McGann can continue the role.

My idea for Bond: Have the original actors (Connery, Lazenby, Moore, Dalton, Bronsan, Craig) either read the original Fleming novel, novelization of the film, or a radio play based on the film or novel.
For the radio play idea: reunite the Bond actor with a member of the original film and recast the other parts. Ex: Connery and Honor Blackman in Goldfinger, Lazenby and Rigg in OHMSS, Moore and Bach in TSWLM, Dalton and Maryam d'Abo in the Living Daylights.

And then there's new stories. The Bonds can continue their adventures in the newer Bond novels / short stories. Maybe Lazenby can finally live twice as 007 and third adventure for Dalton.

Think it might work?

#2 jrcjohnny99

jrcjohnny99

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 10:22 PM

I have an interesting idea. With future 007 films now on hold, why not 007 radio dramas?

This idea came from looking at the Doctor Who audiobooks in which present and former Doctors read novelizations of serials, a full cast radio drama, or a completely new story.
An example of this would be the BBC radio play of Shada, an unaired Tom Baker era serial written by the late Douglas Adams. In the radio play John Leeson and Lalla Ward return to voice K-9 and Romana and Paul McGann returns as the Eight Doctor. McGann sadly only got to play the Doctor once in an 1996 TV movie that was essentially a pilot for a new season of Doctor Who. But with audiobooks McGann can continue the role.

My idea for Bond: Have the original actors (Connery, Lazenby, Moore, Dalton, Bronsan, Craig) either read the original Fleming novel, novelization of the film, or a radio play based on the film or novel.
For the radio play idea: reunite the Bond actor with a member of the original film and recast the other parts. Ex: Connery and Honor Blackman in Goldfinger, Lazenby and Rigg in OHMSS, Moore and Bach in TSWLM, Dalton and Maryam d'Abo in the Living Daylights.

And then there's new stories. The Bonds can continue their adventures in the newer Bond novels / short stories. Maybe Lazenby can finally live twice as 007 and third adventure for Dalton.

Think it might work?

You know the BBC have done a couple of radio plays these last couple of years, right?

#3 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 09 October 2010 - 11:02 PM

The BBC have been on to this for a while. They did Dr No in 2008, and Goldfinger in 2010, on our Radio 4 channel - in the Saturday afternoon play slot from 2.30 to 4.00 (with ex-Bond villain Toby Stephens as Bond.) They also did a dramatisation in, I think, 1990, of You Only Live Twice - again on a Saturday afternoon. I can even recall a serialisation in the late 1980s, on Radio 4, of From Russia With Love - this time in the late night "Book At Bedtime" slot.

It is a good idea, not least because there would be no pressure to show Bond as a "flash bang wallop" effects driven action adventure, for the obvious reason of the medium used - radio. Fleming's book based Bond could therefore be better appreciated.

#4 THX-007

THX-007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 208 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 11:03 PM

Yes I know about the BBC did Dr. No, Goldfinger, and You Only Live Twice. Those had Toby Stephens and Michael Jayston in the role of Bond. My point was to have the original Bonds (Connery, Lazenby, Moore, Dalton) do their own voice work.

Edited by THX-007, 09 October 2010 - 11:04 PM.

#5 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 10 October 2010 - 06:23 AM

Yes I know about the BBC did Dr. No, Goldfinger, and You Only Live Twice. Those had Toby Stephens and Michael Jayston in the role of Bond. My point was to have the original Bonds (Connery, Lazenby, Moore, Dalton) do their own voice work.

I'm not so sure about that. Moore, Dalton etc., still sound like the Bonds they played. But the last time I heard Sean Connery was when he was interviewed for a South Bank Show documentary about the Bond films to co-incide with the release of QoS. I hate to say it, but his voice was much lighter, and not very much like the Bond he played. People age, and change.

#6 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 05:03 PM

He had got suddenly old, hadn't he?

I don't think there'd be much point in getting them back again: they've done being Bond. I'm not even sure Bond works in an audio format: he doesn't talk to anyone enough to do away with narration.