22 replies to this topic

#1 OHMSS Spion

OHMSS Spion

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 244 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:57 AM

So, I'm usually a hard-boiled egg guy, but I was spurred by curiosity to see how Bond's "perfect boiled egg" is. To make it more authentic, I used a brown egg and put it in a egg cup (white however not dark blue). Pretty runny actually, but still good. Anyone else give it a shot? I'm actually not sure how long you usually boil a soft boiled egg, so I don't know how it compares.

#2 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:47 AM

Dude, wrong place!

#3 OHMSS Spion

OHMSS Spion

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 244 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:54 AM

Dude, wrong place!

Umm, where would I put it then? I figured since it was in the FRWL novel, this would be the right forum.

#4 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:23 AM

Honestly do you think that a question like "How much time should an egg be boiled?" is suitable to a forum like that?

#5 OHMSS Spion

OHMSS Spion

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 244 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:31 AM

It's the Ian Fleming forum and I'm asking a question regarding something I read in an Ian Fleming novel. So yes.

#6 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:55 AM

Next questions. "How much pressure do Bond's tyres have in CR?"

"How much time does Bond gargle in CR?"

"When Fleming says 'cold shower' how many degrees exactly?"

#7 OHMSS Spion

OHMSS Spion

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 244 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:06 AM

And if Ian Fleming actually mentioned the exact pressure in Bond's tires or the exact temperature of his shower, then it would be a valid question. Of course he doesn't. But he does specifically mention the time Bond cooks his eggs, and states that Bond considers it a perfect boiled egg.

#8 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:45 PM

Honestly do you think that a question like "How much time should an egg be boiled?" is suitable to a forum like that?

I guess the question is more "is what Fleming wrote in his novel actually sensible?". In that respect, why couldn't we ask? We do have more insipid issues in this Forum...

#9 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:07 PM

Five minutes for me.

For John Cleese: "I don't care how excrementally runny it is..."

#10 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:11 PM

Actually, it's very suitable to a forum like this. This thread is actually relevant to the James Bond novels whereas drivel like the Glee thread is not, for instance.

#11 Col. Sun

Col. Sun

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 02:54 PM

Dude, wrong place!

Umm, where would I put it then? I figured since it was in the FRWL novel, this would be the right forum.

Perfectly good Bond topic question OHMSS Spion.

In fact I think I'll try a 3 1/2 min boiled egg myself for tomorrow's breakfast; bet Aris007 can't wait for my review!!!

#12 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:00 PM

Hell yeah!

#13 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:04 PM

Not much for hard boiled eggs.

The perfect "Bryce" breakfast -

Two eggs - Either over medium or scrambled.

Two strips of thick cut bacon or two sausage patties.

Two spoonfulls of baked beans.

Two slices of thick wheat toast. Real butter dammit!

One glass of either orange juice or cranberry.

Two cups of coffee - one before, one after - hot, black and strong.

Condiments - Tabasco for the eggs, honey or marmalade or rasberry for the toast.

Cigarette with the last cup of coffee. On the weekends the coffee might be "sweetened" with a splash of scotch. ;)

That's the way I roll, but Fleming or Bond would approve. At least I like to think so. :D

#14 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:47 PM

Always have to chuckle when I read those exact timings like "three and a third minutes" for a boiled egg. It always depends on size and age of the egg. And wether you use a brown egg or a white egg makes absolutely no difference at all. Of course, a good housewife or housekeeper with fixed methods (always the same pot, same amount of water, same amount of eggs etc.) will know exactly how long they'll take for which consistency (and she won't even need a watch for it), but put her into a different kitchen with different conditions and she'll most likely fail ;)
Apart from the fact that a fresh egg will take a bit longer than one that is about a week old, the older one is a bit tastier. 5 days is a recommended age for a soft-boiled egg.
And of course, a large egg will take longer than a smaller one. Also, those old basic terms "3 minute egg", 5 minute egg" or "7 minute egg" come from times when eggs usually were considerably smaller than they are nowadays.

20 months civilian service in a youth hostel kitchen...

If you need a more scientific approach: http://blog.khymos.o...oft-boiled-egg/

:D :D :D

#15 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:07 PM

Totally relevant question in this forum. Fleming's Bond took his eggs very seriously.

#16 Mark_Hazard

Mark_Hazard

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:03 AM

Of course, a good housewife or housekeeper with fixed methods (always the same pot, same amount of water, same amount of eggs etc.) will know exactly how long they'll take for which consistency (and she won't even need a watch for it), but put her into a different kitchen with different conditions and she'll most likely fail ;)

Naughty - someone could consider that sexist.

Apart from the fact that a fresh egg will take a bit longer than one that is about a week old, the older one is a bit tastier. 5 days is a recommended age for a soft-boiled egg.
And of course, a large egg will take longer than a smaller one. Also, those old basic terms "3 minute egg", 5 minute egg" or "7 minute egg" come from times when eggs usually were considerably smaller than they are nowadays.

Another problem with the 3 and 1/3 minute egg that Fleming boiled is that it was based on (what I think we called) coal gas, which we used in the UK up until (I think) the 70s, we now use North Sea gas and although once on the boil, as we found at the time, it seems to take longer to get the same consistency.

#17 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 02:59 PM

Call it my North American influence to overcook everything in comparison to the Brits (especially eggs), but a 3 1/2 minute boiled egg sounds disgusting.

#18 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 04:35 PM

Nothing wrong with that Matt. To each their own.

Bond (via Fleming) had his way of things. As to the perfect egg, I don't know and, as Stromberg pointed out, there are a lot of variables when it comes to eggs.

Reagardless of Bond's breakfast, what's your preferred?

Not just you Matt, but anyone else. If you had all the makings, what would be your ideal.

Sorry if I'm changing or hijackking the thread, but I'm curious as to Bond fans. Oddly enough, when I have guests visiting or staying with me, the ladies get their coffee, tea, mimosas or Bloody Mary's, and the lads do the cooking. Most of us are damn fine chef's in the kitchen.

Joyce can attest to her traditional "Casa Bryce" breakfast when she has visited. ;)

#19 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:06 PM

Not just you Matt, but anyone else. If you had all the makings, what would be your ideal.

I have no idea what the cooking parameters are, but my perfect boiled egg has a runny yolk, but a very firm white. If it's otherwise, no thanks.
Since I practically never get a boiled egg like I'd like it to be, I usually go with the hard-boiled egg, more practical, and just about perfect with potato salad.

#20 Binyamin

Binyamin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:28 PM

I quite enjoy three eggs, fried or scrambled, served with sausage links and round crackers. On the side are slices of cheese, and mustard. Instead of going straight for the eggs, you eat small servings of egg and cheese and mustard placed on the cracker. Delicious! Take your time, enjoy it along with the sausage and some well-made coffee, and you're living the Bond lifestyle.

Edited by Binyamin, 27 October 2010 - 11:30 PM.

#21 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 05:32 AM

Obviously the perfect boiled egg is not what they're cracked up to be. :P

I like hens, but they're inconsiderable bastards. Why can't they lay flat eggs. :D

#22 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 04:10 PM

Sorry if I'm changing or hijackking the thread, but I'm curious as to Bond fans. Oddly enough, when I have guests visiting or staying with me, the ladies get their coffee, tea, mimosas or Bloody Mary's, and the lads do the cooking. Most of us are damn fine chef's in the kitchen.

Certainly agree. As it happens I find myself more and more involved in cooking as I get older - breakfast is where most of my interest, and skill, tends to lie.

Sufficed to say, the "Bryce breakfast" echoes my own ideal. Nothing beats Eggs Benedict on a Sunday morning, but a more traditional, rounded, English-style breakfast suits me fine:
  • Typically 3 eggs scrambled.
  • A preference for ham slices, usually cooked and then re-fried for texture and flavour. Although, several bacon strips would suffice.
  • Whole wheat or Rye toast, with a hearty dose of jam - no butter for me. I find buttered toast sort of dull, as in, "where's the rest of the sandwich?"
  • Baked beans in moderation, if only to texturize what is otherwise a very dry meal.
  • No coffee if I'm alone - although in a restaurant setting I'll drink one afterward, sometimes two, to occupy the conversation.
  • Fresh orange juice is the usual accompaniment, although if I have the hardware on hand to prepare a strawberry/banana smoothie (as crass as it sounds), that's far more preferable and really rounds out the meal.

A note on the eggs: populist as it may seem, Ramsay's method for scrambled eggs changed my world:

I literally don't cook them any other way, now. Considering them almost risotto-like in a cooking pot had never occurred to me. I encourage any scrambled egg fan to try it.

What I find most amazing is the flavour difference. Cooking eggs in a pan, you often find yourself adding onions, mushrooms, peppers, etc. just to promote taste - eggs on their own are inherently a bit unflavoured. With Ramsay's approach, that phantom egg flavour suddenly has life. It becomes tangible. This video was the miniature 'epiphany' that actually made me realize just how vital a factor 'approach' can play in changing what is otherwise a normal, expected outcome when cooking for flavour.

#23 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:26 PM

I always used to scramble my eggs, but lately I've taken to soft-boiling them, scooping them out of the shells into a bowl and slathering the bits onto buttered toast. More recently I've laid off them altogether and my weight and blood pressure have both dropped significantly....

When I have breakfast (or, more accurately, brunch) out - meaning on weekends and holidays - I like to go whole 'hog': eggs, pancakes, ham, sausage and orange juice, or maybe a toasted sandwich like they make at Denny's (Breakfast Slam or Moons over My Hammie). Unless my coffee has Kahlua and whipped cream in it, I never touch the stuff.

I used to have one cup, black, once a year, about 3/4 of the way into OHMSS, but then I discovered Kahlua and whipped cream....

Edited by AMC Hornet, 05 November 2010 - 11:27 PM.