Laurent Perriot reports on the event in Chantilly

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 02:54 PM

You know, if I were able, I'd love to go to this.

#3 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 05:02 PM

Chatting to Luc last week; he was so enthusiastic about the event. A screening for 1500 people, at the chateau; sounds amazing.

#4 Lady Templar

Lady Templar

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1277 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 05:51 PM

Chatting to Luc last week; he was so enthusiastic about the event. A screening for 1500 people, at the chateau; sounds amazing.

I'll be there :)

#5 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 05:57 PM

Would love to go there, as it's not that far from my place. But unfortunately, I already have plans for that weekend.

#6 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 06:21 PM

I would love to go - I have such a soft spot for AVTAK and it's one of my faves. Don't think I can go though as it's too short notice :(

#7 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:59 PM

Ouch. This sounds good.

#8 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 08:47 PM

Anyone know the times for this? Just investigating getting there by Eurostar in a day....

#9 Jack Spang

Jack Spang

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:39 PM

I would love to go to this! Beautiful location for another wonderful Bond event.

#10 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 11:25 PM

Our group just visited Chantilly and was fortunate to have Luc accompany us. It was a very beautiful location and will make an amazing locale for for this event. Luc is planning to make this a memorable occasion, so I encourage everyone who's able to participate.

#11 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:08 AM

It is a truly stunning location. Was fortunate to go to Chantilly as part of an Inter Rail trip (do they still do these?) in 1985.

#12 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:34 AM

Yes, this sounds great.
Chantilly is indeed a magnificent location.
Only thing I don't understand is they'll show the movie in French. Well, obviously there'll be mostly french audience, but coming from a Bond Fan Club I find it a trifle disapointing.

#13 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 10:29 AM

Wow. My first reaction was, "Has it really been 25 years?!" The second thought was how I would love to attend this event. I have a soft spot for AVTAK because it brings back so many memories of where I was and what I was doing in the summer of 1985.

#14 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 04:07 PM

One of my least favorite Bond films but one of my favorite Bond locations and probably my favorite villain's home in the entire series. Sounds like they have some great activities scheduled. Wish I could go.

#15 Goodnight

Goodnight

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 09:57 PM

I Love the look of Chantilly racecourse, but I only saw a glimpse of it. I have been in that big house part. Errmmm this was years ago so forgive my ignorance.

I've been to Longchamp course to see the arc back when Bago won in 2003 when I was 14. But I would love to get to Chantilly when there's a meet there, race meet that is.

:D

#16 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 01:25 AM

I'm of two minds on this. On the one hand, the film was the first Bond film I ever saw and is one of my favorites. On the other hand, the realization that this movie is only seven years younger than I am makes me feel just slightly ancient. :P

Wish I could attend as well.

#17 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 01:27 PM

This will be a fantastic event. The grounds at Chantilly are beautiful & it will be the perfect location to watch AVTAK. Plus, Luc will no doubt be a gracious host for the event.

#18 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 07:45 PM

Any after-action reports? I hope it was a fantastic time for all.

#19 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 07:57 PM

Event report now on the CBn mainpage:

Laurent Perriot reports on the event in Chantilly

#20 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:45 PM

Wow, sounds like it was wonderful! Congratulations to our friends at the French Bond Club and to all who participated.

#21 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 12:36 AM

Sounds like loads of fun. I like that film.

#22 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 02:54 PM

As I looked at the list of things they showcased - like tours of the staircase Bond walked up with Jenny Flex and the gas station where Tibbet was killed, for example - I thought to myself, some people would find this totally geeky. But to me it was like wish fulfillment, like people who walk across Abbey Road to replicate the Beatles album cover. What a great time that would have been for a fan.

I've always enjoyed reading about these special events, like the ones held at Pinewood in the '90s by the fan club, and will continue to welcome such reports. It shows the staying power of Bond.

#23 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 07:06 PM

As I looked at the list of things they showcased - like tours of the staircase Bond walked up with Jenny Flex and the gas station where Tibbet was killed, for example - I thought to myself, some people would find this totally geeky. But to me it was like wish fulfillment, like people who walk across Abbey Road to replicate the Beatles album cover. What a great time that would have been for a fan.

I've always enjoyed reading about these special events, like the ones held at Pinewood in the '90s by the fan club, and will continue to welcome such reports. It shows the staying power of Bond.

Sure it's geeky, but, hey, we're Bond fans. When we find a Bond location, we go a bit crazy.

During our Bond group's tour of Europe in August, our rather bemused tour director commented on our frequent photo stops at locations from the films: "When you people start photographing telephone boxes, gas stations, and bends in the road, it can take forever." In the case of Chateau Chantilly, Luc had us walk two-by-two up the Jenny Flex staircase, and Mrs. Tallon and I enjoyed the chance to follow in Bond's footsteps. As you say, it was a great time for a fan.

#24 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 11:21 PM

Sure it's geeky, but, hey, we're Bond fans. When we find a Bond location, we go a bit crazy.

During our Bond group's tour of Europe in August, our rather bemused tour director commented on our frequent photo stops at locations from the films: "When you people start photographing telephone boxes, gas stations, and bends in the road, it can take forever." In the case of Chateau Chantilly, Luc had us walk two-by-two up the Jenny Flex staircase, and Mrs. Tallon and I enjoyed the chance to follow in Bond's footsteps. As you say, it was a great time for a fan.

Our tour guide loved our passion & perseverance. I believe that walking about a mile in the pouring rain in Lauterbrunnen to get a photo of the OHMSS phone booth that doesn't even exist anymore put us over the top. :D

Great report on the event. The fireworks going off as the credits rolled was a nice touch. :tup: