This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Arkhangelsk Dam island and other easter eggs in goldeneye 2010?

7 replies to this topic

#1 00Kevin

00Kevin

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:04 PM

I was on the main page of the official goldeneye 2010 website and was looking at the huge beautiful shot of the Arkhangelsk Dam and I remember that secret island across the water.

for those who don't know, if you stand on the edge of the pier behind the central dam tower and zoom in all the way with the sniper you can see an island with a watch tower and a machine gun nest. a glitch in the game would allow one to jump off the pier and explore the area, nothing really to see but it was just a fun and popular secret amoung fans. it was rumored that early in the level design bond would take a boat over to complete an objective but this idea was for whatever reason scraped, though the island remained.

anyways, i thought that would be a cool nod to the fans to bring the island back and be playable this time. it doesn't need to be for an objective but perhaps finding a secret passage to the island unlocks an XBOX achievement? (sorry PS3 users, you get nothing!!!)

that picture on the website i was talking about doesn't really give any evidence of such an island, and putting it in is probably the last concern on the developer's minds, thus i doubt we will see it.

other easter eggs from the first game? the first severnaya bunker had a video tape which, when seen in the watch inventory, was the VHS cover of Goldeneye. perhaps the cover or logo of goldeney64 or the N64 logo will be viewable somewhere? how about the mythical citadel multiplayer map, a game designers test map only playable when the game was hacked into. would be nice to see that map come full circle after all these years.

one of the joys of goldeneye was that after you get bored with playing it (which was never) there was all these little goodies and secrets. Even if these are not repeated, I hope that there will be alot of little references in G10 that you wouldn't even catch unless you played the origonal religiously as many of us did. Stuff like that is just fun.

#2 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:27 PM

I believe it's already been confirmed somewhere that the Dam island will be making an appearance! So who knows what else is possible?

#3 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:19 AM

Yeah I recall seeing in an interview that they had designed the entire island but that you still wouldn't be able to reach it. It is visible through the sniper scope though. In the original game a battle against Oddjob was set to take place at the location but it was later scrapped. Still, it'd be neat if you could take a boat there in the new game.

#4 00Kevin

00Kevin

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 03:05 PM

really? any idea where i can see this interview?

oddjob? i doubt it, this sounds like one of the many bogus rumors goldeneye fanatics spread after the fact

#5 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 03:44 PM

Activision's GoldenEye 007 is not a remake of the Nintendo 64 version therefore you will not see any easter eggs of stuff taken directly from the Nintendo 64 game.

#6 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 04:00 PM

http://www.gamingtar...php?artid=11623

" To test the game's accuracy, I decided to ask if the obscure, unreachable island across the dam was present in this game thirteen years later. This mystery island was only accessible via GameShark codes, so most players saw it from a distance and I was confident no one would know what I was talking about.

"Actually, I do know the island you're talking about," responded Activision producer Dawn Pinkney. "We're supposed to be putting something in so you'll be able to see it through a sniper rifle."

#7 bonds_walther

bonds_walther

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 419 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 12:33 AM

Sorry to disappoint Kevin, but GE 2010 is a Wii exclusive. No Xbox360/PS3 version is being released.

#8 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:31 AM

how about the mythical citadel multiplayer map, a game designers test map only playable when the game was hacked into. would be nice to see that map come full circle after all these years.

Citadel wouldn't be worth it - it was just an endless sequence of isometric chapes without any real form; a test bed for the developers to inspect scripting and the like. It is exactly what is lookc like: a small, unfinished map that serves no purpose. It's not some secret map squirrled away for no reason; it was removed from the game because it was never intended to appear in it.