13 replies to this topic

#1 ChristopherZ22

ChristopherZ22

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 08:55 PM

I was recently watching Dr. No and Thunderball, and I noticed something strange with Connery's right arm. There is some big gray mark on his right arm; it looks like he either had a tattoo removed or has a large birth mark.

In Thunderball, watch the scene where he finds the SPECTRE agent in his hotel room's shower. In Dr. No, watch the scene where Honey Ryder rubs water on his arm to keep mosquitoes off of it. You can see it best on a flat screen high definition television.

#2 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:04 PM

Connery has tats on each arm, what you are seeing is probably the make up covering them up.

#3 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:27 PM

Yeah the make up team back then weren't counting on hi-def :)

By comparison, you can't spot Craig's ink.

#4 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:35 PM

Think the tattoo on one arm allegedly read 'Scotland Forever'

#5 FLEMINGFAN

FLEMINGFAN

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:25 PM

I was recently watching Dr. No and Thunderball, and I noticed something strange with Connery's right arm. There is some big gray mark on his right arm; it looks like he either had a tattoo removed or has a large birth mark.

In Thunderball, watch the scene where he finds the SPECTRE agent in his hotel room's shower. In Dr. No, watch the scene where Honey Ryder rubs water on his arm to keep mosquitoes off of it. You can see it best on a flat screen high definition television.

It's his tatoos that he got way back. One reads "Scotland Forever" and the other reads "Mum and Dad". In the early days, they did put some make-up on them in some scenes that would really show, or when his hair did not truly cover them.
Naturally, James Bond does not sport any tatoos.

#6 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:36 PM

No particularly clear pictures but this website gives an indication of where Connery's tattoos are, and how they should tie up with the make-up in the movies.

#7 RazorBlade

RazorBlade

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 11:37 PM

It's his tatoos that he got way back. One reads "Scotland Forever" and the other reads "Mum and Dad". In the early days, they did put some make-up on them in some scenes that would really show, or when his hair did not truly cover them.

Naturally.

#8 bondrules

bondrules

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 12:16 AM

Naturally.

I see that in one of those (pre-Bond) pics Sean was rocking the six pack. What happened after? Too many twinkies?

#9 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 03:33 PM

Naturally.

I see that in one of those (pre-Bond) pics Sean was rocking the six pack. What happened after? Too many twinkies?

Well Connery used to be a body-builder. I guess he quitted after he took the Bond role!

#10 dutch_pepper

dutch_pepper

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:38 PM

Yeah the make up team back then weren't counting on hi-def :)

I didnt know Daniel Craig had any tattoo-s, but i searched the internet and found out he has actually three(!) of them. One on his right arm, one on the inside of his right ankle and one around the hip.

#11 Gothamite

Gothamite

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 409 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 02:55 AM

I'm almost 90% sure that in the Fatima Blush love scene in NSNA, Connery's right-arm tattoo is clearly visible (even in the barebones DVD version I have). I didn't mind this at all, in fact I welcomed it. Connery's Bond is a rough, tough sailor; even if he is cultured and refined, why wouldn't he have tattoos?

#12 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:32 PM

Yeah, you can. One of them's a bit visible in the scene where he's smooching on the beach with Eva Green.

#13 jwheels

jwheels

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1021 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:26 PM

You can also see it in NSNA, when he sticks his head up out of the hatch on Largo's yacht.

#14 Shaun Forever

Shaun Forever

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1067 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 06:06 PM

Think the tattoo on one arm allegedly read 'Shaun Forever'

:o