114 replies to this topic

#61 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:35 PM

I just noticed that I cannot read anything inside of spoiler tags on my phone either. I click to open up the spoiler and nothing happens.

I'm using a phone running Android Linux by the way.

#62 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:55 PM

Oh, and I keep getting put onto a page about Gravity's Silhouette's details.

I don't really see that as a problem. You should feel blessed that you are being redirected to my profile. Apparently the master control program that runs CBn's forums has good taste.

Anyway...can anyone tell me what this little "reputation" thingy is in my profile? How is the numbering system supposed to work? Right now I"m at "Neutral", but would like to eventually reach Disreputable status at some point.

Explained on page one of this thread: http://debrief.comma...ost__p__1118257

Certain you won't have troubles gaining a disreputable status, one way or the other :D

#63 bondrules

bondrules

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 01:36 AM

I don't really see that as a problem. You should feel blessed that you are being redirected to my profile. Apparently the master control program that runs CBn's forums has good taste.

Anyway...can anyone tell me what this little "reputation" thingy is in my profile? How is the numbering system supposed to work? Right now I"m at "Neutral", but would like to eventually reach Disreputable status at some point.

This means that your posts have to be popular, if you go against the current you'll inherit a negative profile. I don't know if I like this feature very much either. Negative profiles for those who think outside the box.

#64 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:01 AM

Is the girl at the top a Dolly Dealer from Play Your Cards Right? :)

At least it looks a little less like I'm surfing a pørn site when I'm at work now! :D

Oh yes, with the update, we hired her on. Her name is Tess...Just "Tess".

She's been a great help. Looks cute in the hat too and likes wearing it around the Team's office. Her only complaint is that she has to feed Jim's snakes and tend to his scorpion cage because they're "icky". She is quite sweet though. Makes a lovely cup of coffee and likes the hours and even the "Damn cat" who now spends most of his day sleeping on her desk when she's not scratching his ears.

#65 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 12:58 PM

But is the next one higher or lower? That's all I want to know.

I am pleased with this update because finally the forum remembers me! I don't have to login everytime I visit.

#66 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 01:06 PM

What's this new feature about voting posts "up" or "down"? I'm referring to the + and - near the bottom of each post. Is this something we use if a post is really good (+) or really inappropriate/doesn't add anything to the discussion (-)

It's the new reputation system. If you like a post, you can + it. If you don't like it, you can - it.

"Reputation system, Q...? You must be joking..."

That could go one of two ways - either egos will be lovingly massaged or there will be an increased use of paracetomols by CBN users...

#67 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:49 PM

Certain you won't have troubles gaining a disreputable status, one way or the other :D

A sort of "Scarlet Letter", I guess. I'll totally disregard anyone's "rep points" whether positive or negative, nor will I ever use those icons on anyone else's posts; they're ridiculous.

I do miss the "download topic with Word", though.

#68 bondrules

bondrules

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:53 PM

A sort of "Scarlet Letter", I guess. I'll totally disregard anyone's "rep points" whether positive or negative, nor will I ever use those icons on anyone else's posts; they're ridiculous.

I do miss the "download topic with Word", though.

Seconded.

#69 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:57 PM

Duly noted on all accounts. We're still streamlining everything as best we can and playing around with various bits.

#70 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:23 PM

A couple of points;

1. Very low down on the scale to be sure, but could the editor box show the font that you end up with in the posted post? I think it is Courier in the editor at all times, but then pops up as Arial in the post.

2. Even though the forums now fill the width of a wide screen PC/laptop, it does feel as though there are fewer lines being shown. Everything feels more padded out now with the result that only one post per screen can be seen before having to scroll down.

Of course, if this is planned, then so be it...

#71 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:05 PM

Nice stuff. It will take some (probably not much) time getting used to the new layout, but I like the look.

#72 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:27 AM

Is the girl at the top a Dolly Dealer from Play Your Cards Right? :)

At least it looks a little less like I'm surfing a pørn site when I'm at work now! :D

Oh yes, with the update, we hired her on. Her name is Tess...Just "Tess".

She's been a great help. Looks cute in the hat too and likes wearing it around the Team's office. Her only complaint is that she has to feed Jim's snakes and tend to his scorpion cage because they're "icky". She is quite sweet though. Makes a lovely cup of coffee and likes the hours and even the "Damn cat" who now spends most of his day sleeping on her desk when she's not scratching his ears.

Someone on this board (forget who - sorry) said that she should be known as "Union Jackie" (this was the girl with the Union Jack). Taking the same stance on that basis this girl should be known as "Fishnet Fanny". ;)

Please note that double entendres are not my stronge point. :cooltongue:

#73 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:59 AM

Please note that double entendres are not my stronge point. :cooltongue:

Oh, I knew that. However, your talents at sipping pints and knowledge of Glibert & Sullivan are without challenge or question. :D

Although Tess does have a nice tush. For the love of God just don't pat it. You can compliment her on it, but Stromberg and I are still nursing black eyes and Zencat was limping about the other day. She's got one Hell of a right cross. She is still adorable though.

#74 agentjamesbond007

agentjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:53 PM

who's the young lady at the top? ;)

I was wondering that too.

#75 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:27 AM

I would certainly like her on top. :P

#76 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:50 AM

I would certainly like her on top. :P

Yeah!

#77 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:24 PM

Love the new update, so far. :tup:

#78 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 09:21 AM

What about YouTube videos? How can we upload them? I don't mean via link, but using the YouTube tags. Is it possible? Cause I tried to do so and there was no video.

#79 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 09:22 AM

You can paste a YouTube link inbetween [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-Zlpn6X5xM[/media] tags.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-Zlpn6X5xM

#80 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:37 AM

I think i've finally found my way around the update, now. :)

#81 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 11:16 AM

Birthdays have been added again.

#82 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 11:23 AM

You can paste a YouTube link inbetween [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-Zlpn6X5xM[/media] tags.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-Zlpn6X5xM

Thanks a lot for the help, Dave!

#83 JWM Tanner

JWM Tanner

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 407 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 04:35 PM

It looks great!
Well Done CBn Team!

#84 Navy007Fan

Navy007Fan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 02:51 PM

Happy to see Tess is now on the home page as well as the forum!

#85 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:37 PM

Hey, Admiral. I was just wondering, is there any way that you can check which posts have had any reputation? I know that you can see the +1 or -1 next to the posts, but is there not a quicker way of doing this? Instead of searching specifically for the post?

#86 bondrules

bondrules

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:09 PM

Still have questions about reputation and voting on posts negatively or positively .

Firstly, How many votes positive or negative does it take before your reputation goes from Neutral, to Lovely or Pure [censored]? And if someone's reputation hits Pure [censored] status, will they get a warning or be banned or moderated?

Point #7: is there a function that allows us to see who reviewed our posts and what rating they gave us? I would like to use see that information strictly for professional porpoises and would not let it cloud my judgement by seeking revenge.

Or get rid of that altogether. I really dislike that feature. I bet you a dollar and a cent that some genius will create a fake profile to bash someone they don't like. This can get out of control pretty fast.

#87 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:31 PM

I like it, too. I think once it gets going it will really give CBn members an idea of what kind of people post on here. Providing it's not misused, of course.

#88 bondrules

bondrules

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:51 AM

Or get rid of that altogether. I really dislike that feature. I bet you a dollar and a cent that some genius will create a fake profile to bash someone they don't like. This can get out of control pretty fast.

Someone gave one of my posts a negative vote, and it was one of the most innocuous, generic, neutral posts I've ever authored. It could not have been any less controversial if I had written that I love puppies and kittens. I don't really get that. However, I don't want that feature removed. I still like it.

That's b/c it's a popularity contest, and I'm not going to sell out by pretending to like Transformers and Quantum of Solace. If someone doesn't like what you say, they should argue with actual words. You'll see some "clicks" on these forums pumping each others ratings. That really takes away, at least for me, the enthuse about taking the time to post if I know that there are 2 members (I know already who they are ready) to vote down my post. For now, and at least until this thing gets sorted out, I'm taking my CBn sabbatical. :tdown:

#89 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:07 AM

Someone gave one of my posts a negative vote, and it was one of the most innocuous, generic, neutral posts I've ever authored. It could not have been any less controversial if I had written that I love puppies and kittens. I don't really get that. However, I don't want that feature removed. I still like it.

That's b/c it's a popularity contest, and I'm not going to sell out by pretending to like Transformers and Quantum of Solace. If someone doesn't like what you say, they should argue with actual words. You'll see some "clicks" on these forums pumping each others ratings. That really takes away, at least for me, the enthuse about taking the time to post if I know that there are 2 members (I know already who they are ready) to vote down my post. For now, and at least until this thing gets sorted out, I'm taking my CBn sabbatical. :tdown:

I see where you're coming from but I look at the new reputation system as a positive thing, not a popularity contest. There are members whose posts add to the forums and there are members whose posts detract from the forums. This peer rating system allows other members to quickly gauge whether someone is a respected member or not.

None of the reputation ratings I've seen thus far have been misleading, in my opinion. The people with + ratings are great posters.

#90 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:54 AM

Where does one find these ratings? I've no idea who's been rated and who hasn't. Is there a ranking? Who's at number one? How does it all work? I mean, I'm on CBn quite a bit, yet I've never noticed these things.

Is one supposed to rate individuals for overall performance, or is the idea that we rate particularly notable posts? How does one do this? I mean.... I'm lost.