This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Future of Young Bond being decided today?

39 replies to this topic

#31 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 10:38 PM

Understandable, but these books are still children's or at the most young adult literature. I think Young James Bond should be kept just that, young. I personally feel that Higson didn't take advantage of the time, every book seems a year apart in story time. when I think about my summers my buds and I had more than one cool adventure. When I think of a term at school there was usually much more than one huge occurrence at school.

#32 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 10:46 PM

I dunno; when I was a kid I was never all that bothered about reading about kids my age- I preferred reading about adults because they could do cooler stuff and drive cars and stuff. Bond's age isn't really all that important (it's not as if any but a few readers have any experience of the very different school of Eton, especially not in the 1930's, so it's not as it's because they particularly associate themselves with him); it's just important what cool stuff Bond can do.

That's funny, MarkT, I was the same way. I didn't even like kids in movies. But this new Harry Potter generation certainly doesn't seem to feel that way. Maybe because the books written for them are so much better. I did read Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew and enjoyed them, but the ones I read were written in the 50s.

#33 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 11:13 PM

I think they just like the adventures: Bond's age and status as a kid isn't particularly key to Hurricane Gold or Blood Fever or Double or Die... he's just out and about living dangerously. You could write most of them as adult Bond books (albeit without him as a spy) and little would have to change.
Maybe the 'Young' thing is there so that parents won't think they're full of sadistic violence! B)

#34 Jack Spang

Jack Spang

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:35 AM

Either way, I'll just be happy if Young Bond returns. There is much that can be written from Bond's age of 15 to 28-30. Another 3 to 5 books until Bond joins the Navy maybe..?

Just a bit of trivia for those who are interested: (we are all aware of the first part but maybe not the second)

"Whilst expanding on James Bond's back story, Ian Fleming wrote in You Only Live Twice that the spy had attended Fettes College, his father's old school, after having been removed from Eton. "Here the atmosphere was somewhat Calvinistic, and both academic and athletic standards were rigorous. Nevertheless, though inclined to be solitary by nature, he established some firm friendships among the traditionally famous athletic circles, at the school. By the time he left, at the early age of seventeen, he had twice fought for the school as a light-weight and had, in addition, founded the first serious judo class at a British public school."

While Fleming never claimed there was any other source for the name of Bond than James Bond an American ornithologist, there was a real life James Bond who did attend Fettes. He was a frogman with the Special Boat Service, much as the fictional character Bond has a naval background. The school had his "Who's Who' entry copied and framed over the 'Second Master's office door in one of its main corridors. This has since been removed."

http://en.wikipedia..../Fettes_College

http://www.fettes.com/

Damn, Edinburgh is beautiful.

Edited by Jack Spang, 12 July 2010 - 03:28 AM.

#35 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 04:01 AM

Nevertheless, though inclined to be solitary by nature, he established some firm friendships among the traditionally famous athletic circles, at the school. By the time he left, at the early age of seventeen, he had twice fought for the school as a light-weight and had, in addition, founded the first serious judo class at a British public school."

That is more than enough info for a set of books. Charlie got five Eton books out of far less.

#36 Jack Spang

Jack Spang

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 04:12 AM

Yeah and it would be interesting reading about Bond participating in a boxing and judo competition. The running race in Silverfin is one of my favourite scenes in that book. SF is still my favourite Young Bond novel.

Edited by Jack Spang, 12 July 2010 - 04:16 AM.

#37 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:23 AM

While Fleming never claimed there was any other source for the name of Bond than James Bond an American ornithologist, there was a real life James Bond who did attend Fettes. He was a frogman with the Special Boat Service, much as the fictional character Bond has a naval background. The school had his "Who's Who' entry copied and framed over the 'Second Master's office door in one of its main corridors. This has since been removed."

Heh; that's great- never heard that before.

#38 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 04:53 PM

I'm thinking it's time to throw in the towel on hoping for more Young Bond. While I haven't heard anything, it just seems like Charlie is committed to his new horror series (now announced as six books), and certainly IFP will be focusing on launching XBond next year. I think there was some thought put into continuing the series, but I'm wondering if those plans didn't pan out.

#39 Jack Spang

Jack Spang

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:39 PM

Ah well, atleast we have regular adult Bond books being released now. That's the best news I have received in many years.

Looking forward to an eventual return of young(early to mid 20's maybe) Bond.

Edited by Jack Spang, 14 January 2011 - 11:41 PM.

#40 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:27 AM

I'm fine with this. I feel as if six books (including the Dossier) is enough for now. I've had my YB fix.