122 replies to this topic

#61 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:07 PM

Just so you will all (sounds good that all) know what to expect dear readers mine: I have decided to post all 9 (that's nine) chapters of PART 1 of ROYAL GAMBIT as a summer present to all those CBN members who like Bond Fan Fiction and who obviously like a good thriller yarn (as in read).

I've been going through my work and don't think it is fair that I post chapter by chapter on a weekly basis.

The story is such that you'll enjoy it more in one go believe me. It's fast and exciting and no holds bar in that I sincerely believe I give my all as a writer (albeit an amatuer one).

So, as from Monday I will post Part One accordingly and in a whole package.

It plays well and I like what I've done and where I've taken Mr. Bond and yes, Part One does conclude with one hell of a BANG - you have my word that you'll feel as if you've been slapped in the face.

This is my last Fan Fic and as I've said throughout this year, I want my Bond series to end with the best possible final product I can produce :-)

So, here's the Part One Chapter List and get ready for my best work ever (if I may say so for myself -)

PART ONE

CHAPTER 1.................................................................................. London with a Kill

CHAPTER 2.................................................................................. Dangers New

CHAPTER 3.................................................................................. Monetta

CHAPTER 4.................................................................................. Vodka Martinis Al Fresco

CHAPTER 5.................................................................................. Of all the devil's Nights

CHAPTER 6.................................................................................. 'So that's why I bloody Lost!'

CHAPTER 7.................................................................................. Villa Carmine

CHAPTER 8.................................................................................. The place of Execution

CHAPTER 9................................................................................. The Devil Himself

NINE CHAPTERS FOR YOUR ENJOYMENT, TO READ ONE AFTER THE OTHER.

A FANTASTIC CELEBRATION OF 50 YEARS OF

IAN FLEMING'S JAMES BOND 007

IN THE FORM OF AN INCREDIBLE

FAN FIC NOVEL

R O Y A L G A M B I T

HARRYFAWKES

IS

BACK

#62 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:13 PM

I am looking forward to reading on Monday on the same day as SF trailer........but it will take some time for this to be posted and vertified...........hopefully it can be read by Monday!

#63 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:03 PM

ZERO.... MINUS.... TWO

There's an old Irish saying:

Just when you think your past is gone forever, one fine day it'll pop back into your life to haunt the hell out of you

is

back

#64 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:48 AM

AN EXTRACT FROM THE MOMENT BEFORE YOU DIE WHICH I BELIEVE HAS BEARING ON ROYAL GAMBIT -

...The magnificent Chateau de Saint-Renoir Neux was situated fifty kilometers from Paris, a vast seventeenth-century residence lit up magnificently by a number of strategically placed spotlights. The whole place was surrounded by lush gardens and a dense woodland which hid the whole place from plain view. Lights blazed from the front windows onto the wide gravel drive where the cars were parked and chauffeurs waited for their masters. Limousines, Bentleys, Rolls-Royces ~ they belonged to twelve of the world’s most richest and powerful men.
The Chateau was rectangle and greyish green with oak trees growing on three sides of it, a daunting building that was reminiscent of times gone by ~ classical, haunting.
It depicted nothing but wealth and power.
The twelve men were greeted by their leader and after dining magnificently, followed by liqueurs and coffee, he led them to the conference hall at the back of the house.
The wide room was decorated in soft peach with heavy mint curtains covering French windows which looked out onto the magnificent gardens beyond. A beautiful ancient chandelier hung from the ceiling and four paintings, classics by Shermann Voyster, formed the only adornments.
A polished oak table occupied most of the centre of the room and it was set for twelve people, complete with blotters, a glass of red wine and one with water, laptops, ashtrays and agenda.
The leader took his place at the head of the table while the others filed to their seats, all marked with name cards.
Nobody sat until the leader had taken his chair.
‘Gentlemen, the inheritance which has fallen to us is a terrible one,’ he began, his rather grim voice breaking the silence. ‘The task with which we are faced is the hardest within the memory of man. But having said that I am filled with unbounded confidence for we believe in our goal and its imperishable virtue to found the New Way.’
He took a sip of water and looked down the table at each man. They in turn sat very still and looked up at their leader with expressions of complete interest and approval.
‘My friends, my brothers, we all agree that turbulent instincts ruling man at the moment must be replaced by a strict world discipline as the sole guiding principle. A new order must be affirmed, a new order that will change the very foundations of life as we know it. Our current civilization is on the verge of destruction.
‘Wars rage on. The threat of global pestilence increases. Starvation is widespread. International terrorism has gripped the western world by the throat and is choking the very essence out of our life. Governments unashamedly exploit the very source which gives us existence. Corruption, betrayal, dishonesty, hate. All this is bringing life as we know it to a slow, maimed, painful voyage to doom itself.’
Again he sipped some water, letting the words sink in.
‘I can assure you all that I look into the future with perfect tranquillity and great confidence notwithstanding. As discussed before in this very house we all understand and agree that the only way to achieve our aims of a new world however is by actually accelerating such an inevitable destruction, hence therefore the theft of Prometheus’ Fire.’
The twelve men around the table nodded whilst the leader’s zealous eyes again surveyed them one by one.
‘I am pleased to inform you that Prometheus’ Fire has been placed and that the countdown has finally begun. We are now at the point of no return and apart from a few minor unforeseen hitches, the unfortunate death of Number 3 that is to say, I can assure you that all is well and proceeding as designed nonetheless. After the attack in London takes place, a terrorist attack our Security Services will discover was committed by a previously unknown terrorist organisation called the Shaheel Peshant a splinter group of Al Qaeda, the President of the United States and the British Prime Minister will have one week to accept the new terms of government as proposed and delivered by this Special Executive.
‘The terror and chaos caused by the first explosion and the leak of the threat of a second to our own controlled medias will be the ideal platform for us to seize power and control. People will be told that a similar attack on the United States will take place which will cause the public to scream for tougher security measures. Dominion will offer them those measures. We will offer the people of the United States and Great Britain security and peace of mind through an emergency legislation, an emergency legislation that, thanks to our strategically placed people in both governments, including myself and my United States counterpart, will declare special measures to protect democracy. The President and the Prime Minister will have no choice but to accept.
‘These special measures will include compulsory detention orders at the discretion of the Security Services and will clearly divest the normal citizen of any existing legal protection; emergency supervision on all media output that will censor and scrutinise such without notice; direct government control of the judiciary and legal system and ultimately direct orders, rules and policies that will not require any form of vote from Parliament or Congress. When these measures are in place we will then produce a legislation that will fuse both the Unites States and Great Britain under one rule of law and establishment complete with a common defence and attack policy with the sole objective of reconstructing and reforming both our societies according to our principles. Once we have taken complete control, we will then strike at the very hearts of our enemies, the enemies our present governments fear and thus have simply made more powerful throughout the years. Russia, China, the Middle East, North Korea, the European Union, Israel and finally Islam. The scourges of this world, and no less, will all perish under the might of The United Dominionist State.’
There was an outbreak of applause from around the table and the leader took his glass of red wine and raised it. The twelve men got up and did the same.
‘Today we will witness the foundation of the true new world order.’
There was a long moment of silence then,
‘My dear brothers,’ the leader said. ‘To Dominionism and the end of Satan’s day.’

ZERO....MINUS....ONE

H A R R Y F A W K E S

R O Y A L G A M B I T

#65 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:17 PM

Ok - so, here's an update.

I have, as promised, just posted the first nine chapters of RG for the moderators to tear appart as they deem fit.

Hope they approve it. Having said that I do appreciate the fact that they are very busy with their own lives and it will probably take some time to come up on the Fan Fic page. Don't worry and take my word (I'm the writer after all LOLOLOL) it's worth the bloody wait believe me.

So, my part is done gentle reader mine and I can now sit back a bit and enjoy a well earned holiday - which I intend taking as of tomorrow (from writing that is).

In other words, I don't want to write another word until my battery has fully charged which'll take a load of Scotch and Sodas, cigarettes and lazing about and finally thinking of how the hell I'm going to top the first nine chapters ;-).

Hopefully by the time the numbers of views, once the first nine chapters are made public, go up themselves to a nice number I will have the courage to post the next final chapters.

Chivediamo allora amici (which translated from Italian should mean I'll be seeing you my dear friends) and enjoy my work, should you dare :-)

Roger Mulvaney (Also Known as Harry Fawkes :-))

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 7

#66 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:48 PM

Well, unfortunately plan A did not work. I posted the whole nine chapters but when it was put up by the MODs (God bless them) unfortunately the format was absolutely terrible so I deleted the whole thing. So, now for plan B. I will post chapter by chapter day by day. Sorry about that. Here goes chapter 1 now.

#67 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:56 PM

Chapter 1 up for viewing should you care. Chapter 2 will follow tomorrow.

#68 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:12 PM

Read the first chapter loved it wanting more............

#69 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:15 PM

Chapter 2 posted off to the MODs again. Hope they get it right this time.

Glad you liked the first chapter 007jamesbond :-) I'm sure the rest will go down nicely.

HF

#70 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:30 AM

Well, unfortunately plan A did not work. I posted the whole nine chapters but when it was put up by the MODs (God bless them) unfortunately the format was absolutely terrible so I deleted the whole thing. So, now for plan B. I will post chapter by chapter day by day. Sorry about that. Here goes chapter 1 now.

Sorry sunshine, but all I do is press the button marked "approve" when I get around to it. How its formatted is entirely your call.

#71 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:54 PM

Harry, do you use different devices for your writing (laptop, iPhone-thingy, standard desktop computer)? And maybe a cloud-based service like Evernote? Because I know from painful experience that Evernote can change your format quite drastically (which isn't shown on your Evernote file!) and what arrives at recipients more often than not looks like the drug-hallucinations of a bumblebee, with fonts and sizes and format changing seemingly at random. Jim has been on the receiving end of some of my bangers, but was polite enough not to kill me for it.

#72 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:57 PM

another great chapter! Looking forward for chapter 3 and beyond

#73 chrisno1

chrisno1

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:35 PM

Bit down in the doledrums today, so I thought I'd perk myself up with a G&T and a relaxing hour reading FanFic in the garden - the sun is out, is summer on the way?
Anyway, back to topic.
Interesting begining, Harry. The standard of prose is high, but it is much more concise than Charm the Devil; it seems to be missing the attention to detail, the soul, which made that piece stand out. The scenes are very short. I felt I'd only just been introduced to a character before I was into the next scene. It felt quite restless, which I assume was the intension. This reads like a modern thriller. It has the same snappy cinematic pace which modern writers tend to believe all audiences like (and I tend to be ambivalent towards). If I'm honest, I tend to see it as a narrative gimmick. Here, I'm not sure it actually increases the suspense or helps you provide a more rounded view of events. It does read very fast mind; and that's no bad thing. Still, ho-hum. The 'Golden Gun' and 'Living Daylights' parallels are obvious. No harm in that. Overall, I'm very interested to see where you will take us with this one.

Edited by chrisno1, 22 May 2012 - 02:40 PM.

#74 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:03 PM

Hiya Guys. Now I've just torn meself away from the SKYFALL teaser I can get back to this end of things :-)

JIM: First of all I sincerely apologize. The whole bad format thing was indeed my fault. I just copied and pasted on the space provided without fixing the font size and all that stuff.

Obvious it's not gonna come out right. (I am, as everyone has told me when it comes to PCs and all it's bleeding intricacies, a complete num-nuts and no less). Again, apologies for the misunderstanding.

Dustin - yep, I use a Lap Top and a desktop thingy. And I type with one finger (LOLOLOLO). The whole thing was my fault as I said above. I was too quick and excited to get the thing posted that I forgot to do all the formating. Ah, well...

007jamesbond - Glad you liked it. Wait no more - just posted Chapter 3

Chrisno 1 - Yep, I do agree with you on your observation. The style this time is going to be rather fast (I'm trying anyway), at least for the first part of the story. To an extent, mind. I'm trying hard to emulate a particular writer I love whose books are very sharp and to the point and which, when I was younger inspired me to write (even though I could hardly read. His books made me believe that it was possible for a person like me (as dum as me that is LOLOLOL) to write a novel, because in the end the way he wrote was so 'easy'. I ended up collecting more than sixty five of his novels).

Too deep a confession that me thinks :-)

Yes, though, I do agree that the detail you refer to is quite important (if not the most important element in a novel) but honestly speaking one (read I) has to acknowledge ones' limitations, and that is not being humble Chris it is being truthful :)

Yes, I do think it is indeed a narrative gimmick too but hopefully the 'snappy cinematic pace' (as you put it) will make up for the limited 'ability' I mention.

However, having said that, I do believe that further into the story, such aspect of dettail will in fact develop (I'll try anyway). Look at it as the 1st Part, as you will find out hopefully, being a sort of fast prelude to a much bigger and deeper story.

Anyway, before I make everyone bored [censored]eless of RG ;-) thanks for the feedback so far and I assure you that I will hold what you all wrote deeply into consideration for Part 2.

Thanks a million guys and once again hope you enjoy the next chapters up to the breathtaking ending of Part 1

Roger (HF)

#75 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:52 PM

I am guessing that chapter 3 and beyond will be eventually be posted. Seems like it taking more longer than expected but I can wait!

#76 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:50 PM

Am waiting too. I do hope I didn't mess it up again (Mostly cause JIM'll probably ban me from posting any more Fan Fic chapters :D)

I'm probably driving him crazy. B)

#77 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:57 PM

CHAPTER 3 UP.

A la bellisima Monetta. I can see her inside my mind now. Such a delightful angel bursting for Bond to get his claws into her :-)

I'm posting Chapter 4 now so you don't wait too long to see what happens to our hero.

As you can see, I'm building up to the breathtaking ending of Part I and as promised you will be slapped in the face (litteraly).

Bond is going somewhere in this one - somewhere he's never been before, and as the old saying goes: IT AINT NICE!!!!

Oh yes, and by the way, thanks JIM.

#78 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:53 PM

And there she went, Chapter 4: VODKA MARTINIS AL FRESCO posted.

THE WORLD'S MOST WANTED CRIMINAL

A DEVASTATING THREAT TO WORLD PEACE

A BEAUTIFUL AND FIERY WOMAN

HIGH TECH TERRORISM WITH A CAPITAL T AND WHICH WILL MAKE YOUR BLOOD CURL

PLENTY OF WILD AND EXCITING ADVENTURE

PLENTY OF SEX, GOOD LIVING, SEX AND VIOLENT ACTION......

….AND JAMES BOND!

H A R R Y F A W K E S

IS

BACK

IN ACTION

#79 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:56 AM

another two chapter done and finish with........looking forward for more soon.........

PS: could you change the front so I read it if I not on a computer as all the font is gone and it on mobile form and you cant see anything

#80 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:07 PM

CHAPTER 5 posted away to the MODs - OF ALL THE DEVIL'S NIGHTS

I have indeed changed the colour specificaly for you 007Jamesbond so I hope it works out.

As for the story, Kindly enjoy the electrical atmosphere of Casino Sarda and the face off between Mr. Practoz and Mr. James Bond, agent 007 of the British Secret Service.

And by the way, the other 4 chapters will be posted tonight so this week-end you will be able to enjoy it in the company of

H A R R Y F A W K E S

BUT BE CAREFUL MIND, ADULTS ONLY PLEASE CAUSE'

IT'S A DAMN SHOCKER!!!

Vivid Sexual content and violence ala' Harry Fawkes that'll have you squirming

Don't say I didn't warn you

4 CHAPTERS to digest all together in one go

PART I

OF

R O Y A L G A M B I T

BOND IS BACK

#81 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:54 PM

CHAPTERS 6, 7 AND 8

POSTED FOR

MOD'S APPROVAL

CHAPTER 9

COO7MING SOO7N

HAPPY WEEK-END

#82 chrisno1

chrisno1

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:34 PM

Chapters 3, 4, 5, rather fine stuff, Harry, much more what I was expecting from you after Charm The Devil.
Bar the odd punctuation issue, I'm very impressed. You did a good descriptive passage or two regarding Sicily way back in Nobody Cheats Death, and some of your writing was firmly evocative both of Italy and of your earlier piece.
The Thunderball allusions are somewhat obvious; doesn't bother me, I'm rather partial to TB.
Three things: why so much Italian dialogue? why so many italics? why so many 'pause dots' [...]?
Not much on this weekend, except for an hour of Royal Gambit, I guess.
Looking forward greatly.

#83 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:05 PM

'Why so much Italian dialogue? why so many italics? why so many 'pause dots'"

Hmmmmm, well Chrisno1, good questions.

Food for thought indeed.

So let's start with the Italian dialogue: I thought it would give a sort of authentic feel to the story if I did that, aiming of course to stimulate the imagination of the gentle reader and make him feel as if he or she were actually there in Sardegna themselves. To an extent, I wanted them to hear what Bond was hearing and the way he was hearing it.

The italics and pause dots. Ah, yes, I think that started in NCD. I really don't know tell you the truth. Mind you I think I picked that habit up from a book I read a long time ago and which really touched me. I must be emulating his, the author that is, style.

I will however take these points into consideration when it comes to Part 2 of RG.

Again, thanks a million for your observations. They really do mean a lot in my endeavor to write better. I welcome such criticism wholeheartedly because the way you dish it out has indeed made me progress somewhat when I sit down and put words to the blank screen and create a story :) .

Roger

#84 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:18 PM

CHAPTERS 6, 7 and 8 now up for viewing. EXTRA EXTRA READ ALL ABOUT IT!!!!!

So, in a couple of hours time get ready for the explosive, final chapter of Part I.

THE DEVIL HIMSELF

IS COMING TO HAUNT BOND

AND PART 2 WILL BLOW YOUR BRAINS OUT

INTRODUCTIONS AND PUSSY-FOOTING AROUND

IS NOW COMING TO AN EXPLOSIVE END

SO GET READY TO DIVE DEEP IN THE WORLD OF OO7

AS YOU'VE NEVER SEEN HIM BEFORE

NUF' SAID

#85 chrisno1

chrisno1

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:56 PM

So let's start with the Italian dialogue: I thought it would give a sort of authentic feel to the story if I did that, aiming of course to stimulate the imagination of the gentle reader and make him feel as if he or she were actually there in Sardegna themselves. To an extent, I wanted them to hear what Bond was hearing and the way he was hearing it.

No issue with that - my problem is sometimes I felt the dialogue was developing character - particularly when Bond first meets Monetta - and I had no idea what they were saying!

Great stuff going up to chapter 8. A few colloquialisms during the action scenes, but we all get excited writing those!

Keep up the tough and extraordinary work!

#86 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:58 PM

CHAPTER 9 POSTED

IAN FLEMING'S

JAMES BOND

FACES

HIS

ULTIMATE

NIGHTMARE

BE WARNED

#87 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:58 AM

I guess who the mystery guy was before reading it when you mention Japan.....it was..........XXX

when does part 2 come? and chapter 10?

#88 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:42 PM

007jamesbond Glad you liked it. I agree the Japan thing was hard to miss. It all points to Mr. *****************.

Well done indeed.

So, the million dollar question regarding when Part 2 is coming out?

I can only say that it's in good working progress and that what I have planned for our hero Double O Seven is utterly utterly terrifying.

I have things in store for him that will make You Only Live Twice and Thunderball seem like a bloody schoole outing. And that's a fact.

I'm obviously not going to give anything away yet - not even a hint, but I will say this: I would like all my gentle readers to look at PART I as a long pre-title sequence to something much more deeper and sinister (which accounts for the fast and, at times, glamourous pace of Part I).

As I said a million and one times before, you are going to see Bond as you have never seen him before because this time its going to be very very personal.

To conclude:

STAY TUNED!

H A R R Y F A W K E S

#89 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:31 AM

Harry, you old teaser, I'll be strong and wait until the full novel is posted to read it! :)

The italics and pause dots. Ah, yes, I think that started in NCD. I really don't know tell you the truth. Mind you I think I picked that habit up from a book I read a long time ago and which really touched me. I must be emulating his, the author that is, style.

Céline???

#90 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:55 AM

I be waiting for part 2 when it finally come out which could be while