The Facts of Death and Flittermouse

7 replies to this topic

#1 Sockem

Sockem

Cadet

• Crew
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 01:58 AM

I was reading through the Polestar collection and started with the first story, Flittermouse. I noticed an awfully familiar bit of dialogue. Look at this image. Crazy coincidence, huh? Remember Flittermouse was published in 1983 nearly 15 years before The Facts of Death. Has anyone noticed this before?

#2 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 06:22 PM

Still havent looked into the Comic Strip side of Bond yet. Intresting though. I have no idea how Benson/IFP came to the title, need someone with a bit of inside info for that.

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:08 PM

The Facts of Death is not really a super original play on words. Now if it said Never Dream of Dying...

#4 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:19 PM

Good point Zencat. Neither is Devil May Care, so maybe there is not that much in it. Just coincidence.

#5 Sockem

Sockem

Cadet

• Crew
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:27 PM

Good point Zencat. Neither is Devil May Care, so maybe there is not that much in it. Just coincidence.

Yes, I was not trying to imply that Benson was plagiarizing Jim Lawrence. Just pointing it out.

#6 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:39 PM

Yes, I was not trying to imply that Benson was plagiarizing Jim Lawrence. Just pointing it out.

No, it's a good find Sockem. You never know, maybe Raymond Benson is a fan of the Bond Strips.

#7 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:54 PM

Actually, there are some really striking similarities between Nightbird and Never Dream of Dying. But like me, I doubt Benson ever even read these original strips as they've just never been easily available (especially in the U.S.).

#8 Sockem

Sockem

Cadet

• Crew
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:53 AM

Actually, there are some really striking similarities between Nightbird and Never Dream of Dying. But like me, I doubt Benson ever even read these original strips as they've just never been easily available (especially in the U.S.).

Really? Dang, I wish that I could comment on that. I've read Nightbird, but I've been putting off reading the Union trilogy forever.