141 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 11:56 PM

Surprised someone hasn't already started this thread, so allow me to open with a Lotus Evora. There's something about it that clicks for me and a 28-year-old James Bond. Don't think he'd be able to afford as Aston Martin or a Bentley yet, but I think he'd still go for a British car, one that's a few years old, that he might even goose up with whatever the modern equivalent of Amherst Villiers supercharger would be. I don't know. Feels right for XBond. But I'm happy to hear other suggestions. B)

Attached Files

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 12:06 AM

Hmmm...there's also the Breckland Beira V8. What do you cars guys think of this?

#3 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 12:14 AM

I do like the Evora, more than Beira at any rate.

That said, as someone else said in another thread - would X-Bond really be driving around in a flashy BMW or an Aston Martin or the like. More to the point, would they be able to afford one on the wages of the firm.

Posted Image

Maybe something as simple as a Peugeot 407 Coupe or RCZ would make more sense in the current state of the economy and of frozen wages.

http://www.peugeot.co.uk/home/

#4 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 12:21 AM

Peugeot 407 is nice, and I'd like this for adult Bond, but it doesn't say aggressive young man to me.

Like Fleming's Bond (FBond?) I think he have a pretty sweet (fast!) personal sports car that maybe he'd "lovingly restore"? Or maybe he simply saved up for the Evora (which came out in 2008). Or, heck, he socked away money all those years he served in Afghanistan and found himself with a bit of windfall. So he bought the best British sports car he could afford. The Evora costs below $100,000.

#5 whiteskwirl

whiteskwirl

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 12:25 AM

Bentley Continental GT or Brooklands.

#6 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 12:27 AM

I think there's a slight overestimation on how much the armed forces in the UK make in wages - that is to say, they're not very well paid at all and it's almost certainly not enough for him to put enough away for the Evora over a few tours in Afghanistan.

If we operate on the assumption he had some inheritence to combine with the money he was putting away then it could be a logical choice. The Evora might be his personal car - but when he's on assignment he could end up using something like the 407 Coupe as it's a less conspicuous choice (of course, there'll be times when using a BMW or the Evora will make sense).

#7 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 12:35 AM

A 28-year-old in a Bentley Continental GT? I do love the car, but I just don't see it as a car for a young man. Also might be too expensive to be logical without some major contrivance.

I think there's a slight overestimation on how much the armed forces in the UK make in wages - that is to say, they're not very well paid at all and it's almost certainly not enough for him to put enough away for the Evora over a few tours in Afghanistan.

Yeah...it would need to be a combo of things. Saving during his military years, maybe a little inheritance, a few years of secret service salary...and lets not forget what Mister Bond can do at the gaming tables. B)

#8 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 12:44 AM

Just to be predictable, I say put him in a used Jaguar B)

I'm sure 003 will back me up on that one

#9 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 12:46 AM

A Jag would be great. Which one? Maybe an older one "lovingly restored"? B)

#10 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 12:52 AM

Are cars really the loving object they were back in the fifties - are the twenty-something's of today (and I'm the same age that X-Bond will reportedly be) as likely to lovingly restore a Bentley as they were in the fifties and sixties.

Were we to be realistic about this, Bond would probably be driving around in some car with pimped out suspension, nitrogen injectors and blue lights underneath the car as well as a pimped out sound system.

#11 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 12:58 AM

I think a man of his youth, tastes, and experience might have a very nice, very fast car. It wouldn't be showy beyond what it already is. I think any customization would be done under the hood. Like the original Bentley. It would be a car for driving hard and fast when he could take it out of the city.

But like I said up top, I feel like it would/should be a relatively new car, not a restored classic as Fleming's Bond had. Not exactly sure why I feel that. Guess I just like the idea of associating him with the NEW.

I also don't need him to even have a car. I've never been of the mind that Bond needs a car in every book and film. Just having fun speculating.

#12 whiteskwirl

whiteskwirl

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 01:49 AM

A 28-year-old in a Bentley Continental GT? I do love the car, but I just don't see it as a car for a young man. Also might be too expensive to be logical without some major contrivance.

Well, the son of one of my friends has one. He's a bit older than 28, maybe 31 or so.

Although, it should also be noted that the initial purchase of an expensive car like that is one thing, but maintaining such a car is expensive as well. An oil change for the Continental GT at the Bentley dealership is $5,000, though you can get it done at the VW dealer for $200.

But my point is, you wouldn't just have to be able to afford to buy the car, you'd also have to be able to afford to maintain it. So, a Bentley probably would be out of Bond's price range. The Evora likely would too, though.

#13 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 01:57 AM

Going back to a Jag, I think a previous model Jag XK8 (1996-2006) would be an ideal car for a 28 year old Bond. A nice one can be had in the $15k-35k right now.

#14 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 02:35 AM

Going back to a Jag, I think a previous model Jag XK8 (1996-2006) would be an ideal car for a 28 year old Bond. A nice one can be had in the $15k-35k right now.

Great car, but isn't that what he drove in the Benson books? That might knock it out of contention. Good suggestion though.

#15 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 03:52 AM

Originally I was going to go with the traditional Bentley, but the problem with it in my opinion, is it comes off as rather pretentious. Given he's the same age as myself and the fact that even if I had the money I wouldn't buy a Bentley, I'm gonna have to go with something else.

I think realistically Bond will have a Jag or a BMW and I side with the latter. An M3 would be good.

Deaver could try something different. Bond is afterall rather young. He might not own a car at all. Could be a motorcycle at the start.

#16 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 05:54 AM

In 2010, James Bond needs something environmentally friendly...

Posted Image

Aston Martin Cygnet

JUST KIDDING! B)

#17 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 06:03 AM

That wouldn't be too bad. He'd be able to fit it in his pocket like the Q Spider and Q Copter.

#18 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 06:15 AM

That wouldn't be too bad. He'd be able to fit it in his pocket like the Q Spider and Q Copter.

For those old farts on CBn, the Q Spider and Q Copter were featured in the video game, Everything or Nothing. B)

#19 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:15 AM

Hm, been wondering about it ever since Project X turned out to be modern day. I'd like to divide the question of transport into two categories:

Professional: well, then it would have to be something that doesn't show too distictive on other people's rear view mirrors. Something reasonably average across Europe with added horsepower. It would come form the pool and Bond could pick up something like it in most countries the SIS has an interest in. No tear-gas ducts and rocket-launchers. Possibly Kevlar or some such padding in the doors, but not necessarily. There's some kind of foil that allows to shoot at a window once or twice, but would break after the thrid direct hit or so. But overall I don't think armour would be necessary, nor adviseable.

Fun: Now, I could see Bond feeding his speeding monkey with a motorbike. How about a Norton? I know, bikes are not as safe as cars, Bond couldn't just take any blonde beauty for a ride without further ado and the weather in London is not exactly what makes you want to ride the year round. Still, I think a bike would be what a young(er) Bond would have a lot of fun with. Also you can drive around with tremendous speeding potential without any much furore. A Lotus, Porsche, Bentley or whatever is enormously more conspicous. And a great deal less manoeuvrable, even in average traffic (and average traffic you only have between 3 and 4 am in London; the rest of the time you better walk).

#20 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:24 AM

Should be a Bentley Continental GT, just for the nod to Fleming.

But hey, guess what, I don't really care!

B)

#21 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:45 AM

The Saab took a lot of getting used to, but I got there in the end. But please, a Peugeot?

Smack him in a Caterham. British, fast and holds the road like a brown thing on a shovel.

Posted Image

A Bentley would be nice David! B) Although Fleming was thinking about a Mercedes at one point in his life. :tdown: (Cant seem to get the image thing licked here)

#22 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:48 AM

Unfortunately, Caterhams don't like stop-and-go traffic, supposedly still overheating in city conditions. But, as fun goes, they certainly are a class of their own.

#23 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:54 AM

Unfortunately, Caterhams don't like stop-and-go traffic, supposedly still overheating in city conditions. But, as fun goes, they certainly are a class of their own.

Really? Oh dear. Bond will have his RAC membership one would hope.

#24 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 10:00 AM

Really? Oh dear. Bond will have his RAC membership one would hope.

It was also an issue with the Lotus Seven, whose genes the Caterham shares. Seems to be a failure in the general design of the engine-exhaust system. Wasn't much of a bother back in the 60's, much less congestion on the streets. But some years ago I was strongly advised not to purchase one if I planned to take it to town regularly.

#25 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:06 AM

Bond would surely go for the XKR. An insanely fast car for not very much money at all. And it's even supercharged! Fleming would like that.
But, y'know: they're improving their image but a Jag just ain't a young guy about London's motor.

I think realistically Bond will have a Jag or a BMW and I side with the latter. An M3 would be good.

Not a bad thought. I think today's Bond might well go for something like the Audi RS4:

Posted Image

Modern, very fast, seen as stylish to those in the know, doesn't have the slightly tosser-ish image of an M3 or Bentley GT. Yeah, could be what he goes for.

#26 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:13 AM

I will stick my neck out and throw this one in the pot, just in case Mr Deaver is passing.Posted Image

#27 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:14 AM

A Bentley would be nice David! B) Although Fleming was thinking about a Mercedes at one point in his life. :tdown: (Cant seem to get the image thing licked here)

Not a bad thought; there are some true monsters that the book Bond would love (although I'm not sure he could afford them!)
Posted Image

#28 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:17 AM

Thats quite a beast Markmurphy!

#29 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 12:19 PM

Yes, there's one for sale in the garage down the road from me: it's very impressive!

http://www.romansint.../...=330&offer=

Check out some of the other motors they have! The site has sound, incidentally.

#30 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 01:46 PM

I'm glad someone suggested an Audi because that's what I was going to say. I see him driving an A4. It's fast, AWD, dependable, handles great and is not that expensive.

Or we could stick to Ian and say he inherited a Bentley.