24 replies to this topic

#1 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:44 PM

Alright, it's that geektastic question we touched upon in the main Project X thread: where will you put Jeffery Deaver's Project X among your 00-books?

For this fan, I can't see it going anywhere except its own shelf. I already have one shelf devoted to what was (until last week) IFP's New-World-Order-Fleming-timeline-canon-thingy (see attached) and another filled with the Amis/Pearson/Wood/Gardner/Benson paperbacks. Logically, for me, Project X - as its own series, presumably - deserves its own shelf.

Geek out and share your thoughts!

Attached Files

#2 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:55 PM

I will be putting Project X firmly next to Devil May Care (Guessing it will be the same size). I do like to have my Bond books that are the same size next to each other, in order of publication date (Limited with book shelf space mind you, the Fleming paperbacks are stacked up neatly rather than the conventional way of storing books)

It also depends on how many editions of Project X we will get………..

#3 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:57 PM

Given most of my books are in Canada at my mums, mine will be on a shelf next to DMC and the last three Young Bond novels (if I can reclaim my copy of DOD from the niece, otherwise I might need to invest in a new copy of it).

#4 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:23 PM

Depends what age Bond is FINALLY begged at by Deaver.

31 and it's before CR but after Young Bond.

38ish and its after DAD.

Obviously. B)

PS - like the shelf picture, dark. I've always thought to photo mine but being a little/a lot older than James Bond might turn out to be next year, digital photography and downloading are not my strong suit.

#5 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:45 PM

The Higson/Fleming and Amis timeline is more important to me. I have those books lined up chronologically. I'm not as particular with the continuation novels. So Project X will probably end up scattered somewhere. That won't matter. Mentally, I know it's a reboot.

#6 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:22 PM

Young Bond -> Fleming -> Amis -> Faulks -> Gardner (minus novelizations) -> Benson (minus novelizations) -> Deaver

Now was that so hard, geeks? B)

#7 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:54 PM

You lucky Chap Dark, you have all three Moneypenny Diaries! :tdown:

(Also noted is the excellent book by Bill Bryson “Notes from a Small Island” good taste!)

I do like a book collection photo so thank you for posting. Will take one of mine later.

EDIT: this is just like MTV Cribs in a Bond book collection kind of way B)

#8 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:12 PM

Fleming, Amis, JG, RB, CH, SF, JD

#9 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:20 PM

Read my lips: UP THERE WITH THE BEST OF 'EM

#10 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:53 PM

Yes, now this is a topic!

With Bond, I put my hardcover firsts on the shelf according to release date, although I do keep series (YB and Moneypenny) bunched together. I like having CR first and the newest book last, no matter where in the timeline it is set. So Project X will go at the end. I love the idea of setting it next to DMC (especially if it's the same size). Special editions, paperbacks, they all have their own shelves and cases.

Unfortunately, the glory days or my "vault" and even my house "library" are gone. I now live in a pretty small space and have to be creative with how I arrange and display my books. Things are much more scattered now, and other collections and interests show to the world as much as Bond. I'm a more well-rounded geek these days. B)

#11 clublos

clublos

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 315 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:23 PM

Alright, it's that geektastic question we touched upon in the main Project X thread: where will you put Jeffery Deaver's Project X among your 00-books?

For this fan, I can't see it going anywhere except its own shelf. I already have one shelf devoted to what was (until last week) IFP's New-World-Order-Fleming-timeline-canon-thingy (see attached) and another filled with the Amis/Pearson/Wood/Gardner/Benson paperbacks. Logically, for me, Project X - as its own series, presumably - deserves its own shelf.

I'd say it belongs right next to How to Be A Canadian

#12 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:35 PM

Probably next to Devil May Care or it's probably time to start a new shelf. I'm seriously out of shelf space so I don't really get much of a choice. As of now I have 3 shelves. 1) Fleming, Young Bond, Amis, Wood, Moneypenny, and Faulks. 2) Gardner and Benson 3) Associated works by Bond authors. My non-fiction stuff is all over the place.

#13 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:49 PM

Since this is Bond 2.1 (all over again but in book form) It'll probably go on the shelf below. (Higson, Fleming, Amis, Faulks)

#14 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:15 PM

Only realised what a mess my collection looks. Not Much room.

#15 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:28 PM

A gift from the Canadian girlfriend's folks - think they wanted to make sure I fitted in when I lived there!

#16 Brisco

Brisco

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 220 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:59 PM

I hate to say it, but mine (the UK and American 1sts and whatever special editions I get my hands on - and, man, I hope there are ARCs again!) will probably end up in one of the many stacks on the floor of my apartment, or else in a box. All of the shelf space my apartment offers has long since been claimed, and the rest of the collection is in disarray. The YBs and Moneypenny Diaries have their own nice (separate) shelves, but my DMCs ended up in boxes... for now. Fleming is scattered everywhere, on shelves throughout the apartment. All my Fleming and Gardner 1sts, however (and most of the Bensons) are still at my parents' house back East, neatly organized in publication order, divided by British and American editions.

#17 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:58 AM

While scattered is probably the best way to describe the current state of my literary Bond collection, I do try to keep them in publication order for each author.

If I did put all my UK and US 1sts for every author in line, this would therefore follow Devil May Care.

#18 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:42 AM

I have my collection in publication order so I would place Project X after Danger Society: The Young Bond Dossier due to its inclusion of the short story A Hard Man To Kill.

#19 Byron

Byron

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:38 AM

The very first book on my "Bond" book shelf is:

"Field Guide of Birds of the West Indies" by the REAL James Bond.

As for Project X, i would place it after Benson even though it is a totally different timeline.

38ish and its after DAD.

Obviously. B)

PS - like the shelf picture, dark. I've always thought to photo mine but being a little/a lot older than James Bond might turn out to be next year, digital photography and downloading are not my strong suit.

David, how can you place P-X before CR, if it is set in the present day and CR is set in the 50's?

Just curious.

Attached Files

#20 clublos

clublos

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 315 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:42 PM

A gift from the Canadian girlfriend's folks - think they wanted to make sure I fitted in when I lived there!

That's cool, I just had a laugh thinking what would comprise a book called How to Be An American, especially if it was written by someone like Palin.

#21 Sockem

Sockem

Cadet

• Crew
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:59 PM

Titan comic collections
Fleming
Amis
Pearson
Wood
Gardner
(Those choose your own adventure Bonds)
Benson
Moneypenny
Young Bond
Faulks
Deaver

Left to right.

#22 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 09:56 PM

I have two shelves for Bond. No real organization to them, I just went by free space. All of the Flemings are together, in order of course, and that shelf ends with Col. Sun. Few Gardners + Bensons I own are on a shelf with Silverfin ahead of them and Thrilling Cities after, and a bit of room left on that shelf. Reckon I'll put it after Silverfin, but I'll wait and see. If I don't want the books to go in a specific order I generally go by how the spines look alongside one another.

Oh, and DMC is on a totally separate shelf because at the time I had put the continutations with my Doctor Who books (again, it was where I had space) but since purchasing a lot of EDA novels, Doctor Who has been given its own shelf and the continuations have taken over. DMC, meanwhile, sits on the Star Trek shelf. Reckon it can stay there.

#23 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 07:40 AM

The very first book on my "Bond" book shelf is:

"Field Guide of Birds of the West Indies" by the REAL James Bond.

As for Project X, i would place it after Benson even though it is a totally different timeline.

38ish and its after DAD.

Obviously. B)

David, how can you place P-X before CR, if it is set in the present day and CR is set in the 50's?

Just curious.

Same way as I can try convince myself Benson's chap in TMWTRT is the same as the one from CR. Similar age, similar physical abilities, despite there being nearly 50 yeasr between the adventures.

Same way as I can try to accept that Charlie's SuperBoy will morph into Fleming's introspective damaged spy ruminating his genuine bitterness about spying and war to Mathis in CR.

What I'm trying to say is that I think Project X fits before CR but after Higson because I believe Deaver has made a conscious descision to make his Bond late 20s to avoid having to include any baggage from the 30+ years of age Fleming adventures.

That is, my hope is that Deaver is trying to show us the Bond who progresses to CR.

Heavy and probably stupid, sure. This is the only area of Bond I get really geeky, I'm afraid.

#24 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 07:57 AM

Depends how good it is, and how Bond it is. If it doesn't really feel like a Bond novel, then it will go with the Deaver's. Since it will be alternate universe, it will most likely go with the Wood's and Pearson. Naturally, I will probably split the field and put the Brit first with the Bond's, and the US first with the Deaver's.

Any limiteds would go into deep, safe storage where accidents are never allowed to happen.

#25 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 12:46 AM

Spent a good part of the day reorganizing my Bond shelves. I've now created lots of room for Project X (US and UK). Bring 'em on!