9 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:33 AM

For Devil May Care, you'll recall the IFP put on a competition for up and coming artists to create a song for the new James Bond book that would be played before the audio book. SAL ended up winning and although most people on here were impartial to the song I thought it was a really good idea. Do you think that the IFP should put on one of these competitions again for Project X? Personally I think they should do it again and it's pretty much free advertisement. So why not.

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:36 AM

I liked that SAL song. Wondered why we didn't hear it more. They didn't even play it at any of the release events. Played a lot of Bond music. No SAL. It's really one of the forgotten elements of DMC and the Centenary. Makes owning the audiobook a must.

#3 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:42 AM

Yes I remember getting the SAL song and listening to it in my car. I liked it. It was rare to have a book song. Shame that they didn't play it at the release event.

#4 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:47 AM

It was better than Another Way To Die, IMO. I never came around on that song.

#5 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:53 AM

I don't know. I mean I kind of like the idea, but you're really limiting the amount of (serious) entries and the exposure you can get from an independent-written theme song.

I think there are better competitions out there that could appeal to more people. There are probably a number of issues that you'd have to overcome, but a cover art contest would be pretty nifty. I'm sure there are a couple people around CBn that could knock something amazing out of the park.

It was better than Another Way To Die, IMO. I never came around on that song.

Lyrically that song sucked, but I think it would have worked had it been instrumental only. Maybe. I don't know. It definitely isn't a very good theme. Obviously picked late and rushed. Hopefully they don't make that mistake again.

#6 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:48 AM

I was disappointed with the DMC song - there were better entrants in the final five. It's a shame that the rest of the final five were never properly released in any form - there were at least two that I would have loved to have had.

#7 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:52 AM

I think it was a really fun idea; would fit this one a bit better I think as this is a modern book and most of the entries seemed to be for a modern Bond rather than a period one, as DMC was.

I don't know if X will be as high profile as DMC; it would be a hard trick to pull off twice, you'd think. Maybe they'll manage it, though; and the theme song idea is a good one. Perhaps they've got other, equally canny ideas in there too.

#8 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:54 PM

A novel needs a theme song like a fish needs a bicycle. And that DEVIL MAY CARE song was dire, and about as Bondian as an early Metallica B-side. It sounded like "Dirty Love" from LICENCE TO KILL, but wasn't nearly as pleasant a piece of music.

If they're going to do songs for books, they should at least give the projects to A. professionals, and B. professionals who know what a James Bond song should sound like.

#9 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:41 PM

A novel needs a theme song like a fish needs a bicycle. And that DEVIL MAY CARE song was dire, and about as Bondian as an early Metallica B-side. It sounded like "Dirty Love" from LICENCE TO KILL, but wasn't nearly as pleasant a piece of music.

If they're going to do songs for books, they should at least give the projects to A. professionals, and B. professionals who know what a James Bond song should sound like.

Very much my thoughts. 'Theme song' for a book is really a bit overhype and naff. Please avoid in the future.

#10 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:53 PM

I think it would only work for the Audio book; then you could have the Bond theme, finishing off the chapter on a cliffhanger.

The Theme Song would then be relevent