#31 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:05 PM

Why not keep the Walther P99?

In order to "keep the Walther P99," that would require the gun to have been fearured in a past Bond novel and I'm pretty sure Benson had him use the PPK in his original novels.

#32 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:12 PM

I feel toward the P99 the way I feel toward the Sekio watch. Glad it's gone.

#33 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:41 PM

Why not keep the Walther P99?

In order to "keep the Walther P99," that would require the gun to have been fearured in a past Bond novel and I'm pretty sure Benson had him use the PPK in his original novels.

Nah, after his novelisation of TND Benson had Bond use the P99 and the PPK, but predominantly the P99. (Thought you were a Benson fan, Righty007. B) ) And it's part of the reason why I can't accept Benson's novelisations are NOT part of his oeuvre.

But no, the P99 is really Brosnan-Bond and Benson-Bond's (maybe the same guy?) gun, so Deaver should avoid it.

#34 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:51 PM

I trust a Glock should be recomended. Sound, reliable, adequate.

Functional, but damn ugly. Just like the hideous P99.

Unlike Bourne and (insert generic modern action hero), Bond should be a man of good taste.

#35 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 06:11 PM

I trust a Glock should be recomended. Sound, reliable, adequate.

Functional, but damn ugly. Just like the hideous P99.

Unlike Bourne and (insert generic modern action hero), Bond should be a man of good taste.

Well, if it was a question of appeal, style or whatever, then it probably would have to be a Kimber. The flat design of the grip (single column magazine) makes it far more concealable, as the tricky part usually is to conceal the butt. But that's really going the exact wrong direction, advertising Bond's status and likely background. Not advisable if discretion is a concern (as it would seem to be with X-Bond).

#36 Brisco

Brisco

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 220 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:43 PM

I love my Bond novels and films to be as realistic as possible also but we mustn't forget that without an element of fantasy, it ceases to be a Bond novel/film. A secret compartment for a firearm in luggage or wearing a shoulder holster 24/7, for instance, may not be practical in this day and age but in my opinion, those are some of the aspects that make him the James Bond we all know and love.

Excellent point, Righty! James Bond is and always has been a fantasy. Fleming had him fight a giant squid, for heaven's sake! I don't think any of us would want to read a 100% realistic Bond story. Those elements of fantasy are why you pick up a Bond novel instead of a Le Carre or Deighton. (And I like those guys, too; but they don't all quench the same literary thirst!) Part of the trick in writing 007 - and the work Deaver has cut out for him - is balancing the elements of fantasy and reality. Or, to put it more succinctly, I suppose, making the fantasy credible. It's probably true that most covert operatives don't carry handguns all the time. But the gun is part of Bond; he should. By the same token, obviously a more ordinary car would be less conspicuous. But I don't want to read about Bond driving a Ford Fiesta! The trick is working out situations in which a Bentley or Aston Martin would actually be appropriate.

As for smuggling a gun on planes, I guess the only real way to make it credible is to have Bond draw weapons on station. But if Deaver told us that he had a secret compartment in his suitcase that was impervious to all forms of airport security detection, I would believe him! That is the suspension of disbelief required in reading any Bond novel. Hell, I believed Fleming when he had Bond fighting that squid! That said, one thing I really liked about the Bourne books was how Ludlum described Bourne breaking down his gun and smuggling the pieces when he flew. Of course, that was the early 1980s...

#37 whiteskwirl

whiteskwirl

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:55 PM

That said, one thing I really liked about the Bourne books was how Ludlum described Bourne breaking down his gun and smuggling the pieces when he flew. Of course, that was the early 1980s...

Well, Ludlum also had a man put a silencer on a revolver in The Bourne Identity. But I get what you're saying. Finding the line between fantasy and reality is never easy, especially with picky fans like us.

#38 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 12:08 AM

Well, if not the P99 then the standard PPK will do.

I wonder if Deaver might go as far back as having Bond using a baretta once again?

#39 Brisco

Brisco

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 220 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:41 AM

That said, one thing I really liked about the Bourne books was how Ludlum described Bourne breaking down his gun and smuggling the pieces when he flew. Of course, that was the early 1980s...

Well, Ludlum also had a man put a silencer on a revolver in The Bourne Identity. But I get what you're saying. Finding the line between fantasy and reality is never easy, especially with picky fans like us.

Very true. I think he was guilty of that on more than one occasion, in fact. And he didn't like to namecheck guns, either, so he definitely wasn't an authority. But I still thought it was cool that he at least went to the trouble of describing (with whatever degree of veracity, it worked in the course of the novel!) how Bourne managed to get a gun from continent to continent.

#40 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:00 PM

Hm, difficult. As the 00's are supposed to work under strict hush, the actual use for handguns is limited. After all, what makes a person more suspect than carrying a firearm? Also, keep in mind Bond may have to tail people to all kinds of locales, many of them probably protected by metal detectors and security. Running into such a surrounding armed would not be recommended standard operational procedure for a 00.

I would prefer Bond to only wear the real thing, once an assignment reaches the stages of 'condition red'. And then picking it up in the field, not smuggling the thing across borders himself (unless unavoidable). Make and type would depend on the requirements of the mission, setting, what is available and keeps Bond deniable. Simply doesn't do to carry equipment that screams 'Issued by the SIS'.

At home or on HQ duty Bond could carry with a fake-police licence, but actual use of the gun would have to be kept fairly limited.

James Bond should carry a firearm or at least some sort of weapon at all times. That's the nature of his occupation.

The weapon is Bond. The gun is just a tool. Not carrying a firearm isn't the same as going unarmed (as well as carrying a gun/knife/weapon doesn't make one necessarily 'armed'). The nature of Bond's occupation makes guns a necessity, but not exactly at all times.

I totally agree. Bond should be the best agent and his strongest weapon should be his mind and skills.

#41 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:45 PM

If he catched the enemy just right in the ear with one of these it would hurt.

Posted Image