31 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Twilight

Mr Twilight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 11:55 AM

So far it's a "if" as I understand it. but hopefully.

http://youngbonddoss..._a_trilogy.html

#2 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 12:14 PM

I think this will happen, I feel it in my bones. Maybe it's even a signed deal.

#3 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 03:56 PM

I think this will happen, I feel it in my bones.

The option is there, but I don’t see it as a certainty.

Higson could have done 10 Young Bond books, and it is always human nature to want more.

At the end of By Royal Command, Young Bond has certainly evolved and learned life lessons. They can obviously extend his development into the war, but as is, the series does feel complete. If this is it, I’m happy with what we have.

Fingers crossed, though.

#4 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 04:42 PM

I think this will happen, I feel it in my bones.

The option is there, but I don’t see it as a certainty.

Higson could have done 10 Young Bond books, and it is always human nature to want more.

At the end of By Royal Command, Young Bond has certainly evolved and learned life lessons. They can obviously extend his development into the war, but as is, the series does feel complete. If this is it, I’m happy with what we have.

Fingers crossed, though.

You must trust in my Bones B)

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 06:06 PM

Posted Image

#6 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 06:54 PM

BTW, Dlibrasnow and Dr. Shatterhand were witness to this "trilogy" comment. Also Mister Asterix heard it in St. Louis. Anything to add, guys?

#7 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 07:05 PM

BTW, Dlibrasnow and Dr. Shatterhand were witness to this "trilogy" comment.

Didn't DLibrasnow say they have video footage of Higson saying something juicy? I wish Shatterhand would upload it to his Botanical Garden...

#8 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:31 AM

Don't want to steal Stuart's (Doctor Shatterhand) thunder. Not necessarily "juicy" per se but he asked Charlie (on camera) to say something about James Bond that he had never said before and Charlie obliged.

Charlie said that he was running out of time to make a decision on whether to do a Young Bond trilogy because he might lose the momentum with his younger fans growing up. There was also the hurdle that he would have to learn all about s new school (Fettes).

He talked quite a bit about it but I was slightly distracted having just purchased Charles Helfenstein's quite excellent "The Making of On Her Majesty's Secret Service." B)

Tere was a mention of a villianess from the YB series returning as an ally but he may have been talking at that point about an idea he had for a Bond story set during Bond's time in the Royal Navy.

#9 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 01:45 PM

Writing a trilogy that took place at Fettes may prove tedious for Charlie. The amount of research he did on Eton appears to be substantial, but he also had 4 books that took place there, so it was worth it. Silverfin sets ups the proceedings nicely not only because Higson is an excellent and well researched writer, but also because there were 4 books left to go in the series, so he could be thorough without sacrificing much story or character development when it came to the series as a whole. I fear that if he were to set up a new school and location all over again, it'd be like backtracking, only this time around with less room for development and action.

With all that said, I'd like to see Higson tackle Bond's time in the Royal Navy during the second World War. Yes, he would obviously still have to sacrifice time setting up the proceedings, but at least it wouldn't feel like a retread; another school with a new name. Either way, BRC leaves some doors open for returning characters and Higson is just too good of an author for me to willingly miss out on anything. If he does put Bond at Fettes, I have no doubt that they will be good books, my fear is that if anything they'll feel like a chore to Charlie because he's already done something so similar 5 books ago. I'll be first in line for whatever he decides to come up with, though, so carry on.

#10 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 02:19 PM

Why ever make it three books at Fettes? Would not one single volume be enough for Bond's remaining school time? After all, the guy has to study a bit too, doesn't he?

My suggestion would be

first volume - Fettes

second - Darfting and WWII

third - post WWII 1945 - 1950 or so.

#11 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 02:45 PM

Charlie said that he was running out of time to make a decision on whether to do a Young Bond trilogy because he might lose the momentum with his younger fans growing up. There was also the hurdle that he would have to learn all about s new school (Fettes).

Encouraged to hear he feels pressure. B)

He does have a point about losing momentum with the core/original YB fandom. Kids grow up fast! However, as long as the books are in-print and on stores shelves, new young readers will come to them and discover them and be right there primed and ready for a new book, so I don't think it's so critical. It's up to Puffin to keep them in-print and keep them in front of new readers. Kids love series, and a set the YB novels that they can dip into at their own rate is highly appealing.

Tere was a mention of a villianess from the YB series returning as an ally but he may have been talking at that point about an idea he had for a Bond story set during Bond's time in the Royal Navy.

Spoiler

#12 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 03:10 PM

I know there's a tendency to get a bit precious about Charlie around here, but does the YB 2 author actually have to be him???

If he's had enough of Bond - and yes, I can see why he might - what's the point in returning just for £££s/$$$s?

A fresh approach might be better suited, to the execution as well as the quality of the end product.

Mark Gatiss' name has been mentioned on these boards before. I've read his Box trilogy - and Black Butterfly is a wondersful Fleming pastische. He has the tone down nicely. And, of course, for juvenile eyes, he contributed to the success of the relaunch of Dr Who.

Time to say, Ciao, Charlie? B)

#13 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 03:38 PM

Oh, a Young Bond novel without Charlie Higson would make me extremely nervous. Really, the reason I so want more YB is because what I really want is more Charlie Higson. Yes, we are precious about him, but I think it's because we've recognized that's he a continuation author who "gets it" on a mysterious, sub atomic level that goes beyond just being a talented writer (talent didn't carry Faulks). YB without Charlie has the danger of becoming what we all feared when we first heard the concept -- James Bond jr. It could obliterate the "brand." Even though I'd love to see more YB on my shelf, and I would have reason to keep my website going, even I might vote against the idea of non-Higson YB (unless they were done as graphic novels or in some other form).

#14 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 03:47 PM

Oh, a Young Bond novel without Charlie Higson would make me extremely nervous. Really, the reason I so want more YB is because what I really want is more Charlie Higson. Yes, we are precious about him, but I think it's because we've recognized that's he a continuation author who "gets it" on a mysterious, sub atomic level that goes beyond just being a talented writer (Faulks is a very talented writer -- did this make him a great cont novelist?). YB without Charlie has the danger of becoming what we all feared when we first heard the concept -- James Bond jr. Even though I'd love to see more YB on my shelf, and I would have reason to keep my website going, even I might vote against the idea of non-Higson YB (unless they were done as graphic novels or in some other form).

I'm not so pessimistic, Zen

A bored Charlie - okay, not doing is for the £££s/$$$s, but for the fans - might not result in the end product hoped. Hell, the guy isn't a machine. And I'd rather him not fall to fan pressure. We have five great books, three lousy ones would tarnish them.

Similarly, great though he is, he 'aint Ian Fleming, and therefore replaceable BY THE RIGHT PERSON. I'd rather have a fresh approach from a writer who also knew his Bond (there must be one!) than have jaded stories from Charlie he was just churning out.

And should Charlie say "I don't want to continue" must that be the end of YB? Bit proprietorial, that, IMO.

#15 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 04:04 PM

Well, if Charlie said he was done. If he really was too bored to write another (but I see NO evidence of this), then I personally would be okay with the YB enterprise ending with 5 books. But it helps that I have the promise of adult books.

However, if there are a legion of kids who would be heartbroken to hear there will be no more adventures of their Bond, then maybe they should roll the dice with a new author. Do it for the children! But my expectations would be set back to pre-SilverFin levels to be sure, and I'd be haunted by the thought that if we just gave Charlie another year he'd find a killer new idea and get his passion back and, bingo, YB is back in the best way possible.

(BTW, the reason this "trilogy" thing excites me is I think this is evidence that Charlie does have a killer new idea -- or at least an approach that intrigues him.)

#16 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 04:11 PM

Of course, my prefered way - and I've aired it hear before - is to take Charlie on a book by book basis, without long term committment or contract, to avoid the routine and the mundane.

You want to do Bond's arrival at Fettes for 2011, Charlie, Bond learning about a totally new TYPE of schoold, doing things Scottish, golfing etc, fine.

You want to come back now in 2015 with the outbreak of WW2 and the Government folks from BRC coming for him, fine.

2018 - you want to put YB/JB at the heart of the carnage of WW2? Great.

Kick it, don't step on it. B)

#17 zerominus

zerominus

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 88 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 05:49 PM

David has a good point - simply put, let's have quality (and most agree Charlie's work on YB is of a high standard) rather than quantity. Also, I don't think the timing of 'losing' the current YB fans is that much of an issue - top quality (timeless) children's books continue to hold their appeal and find new audiences - even as far ahead as the current readership becoming parents and recommending to their offspring (even if that is 20-25 years away!). After all, they are period pieces so aren't going to date.

#18 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 06:21 PM

David has a good point - simply put, let's have quality (and most agree Charlie's work on YB is of a high standard) rather than quantity. Also, I don't think the timing of 'losing' the current YB fans is that much of an issue - top quality (timeless) children's books continue to hold their appeal and find new audiences - even as far ahead as the current readership becoming parents and recommending to their offspring (even if that is 20-25 years away!). After all, they are period pieces so aren't going to date.

Agreed. Isn't Enid Blyton still the most popular writer in GB? With works well rooted in the past? Didn't harm her apparently.

#19 Doctor Shatterhand

Doctor Shatterhand

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:43 PM

I am still waiting to get on my home computer to upload the video of Charlie's comments, which I will say is quite basic in nature. He did a nice farewell comment to all his fans.

Charlie did say he would be interested in a trilogy of Bond at Fettes or maybe the Royal Navy, but he would leave it at that since Bond later loses his wallet and virginity in Paris, according to the short story From a View to a Kill, at a young age. Not the sort of storytelling many parents would like to see their young kids reading.

Charlie did say that Project X is only half done. The first part is the announcement of Jeffrey Deavers as the new continuation author. The second part has yet to be announced, as of this writing.

I wonder what it can be?

#20 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:48 PM

Charlie did say that Project X is only half done. The first part is the announcement of Jeffrey Deavers as the new continuation author. The second part has yet to be announced, as of this writing.

I wonder what it can be?

Perhaps some kind of lottery/contest or auction for a character in the book named after the winner? There is that notion of 'becoming part of the mission' on the website.

EDIT: It's

Stay tuned for your chance to be a part of this one-of-a-kind event. Check back here for more information on a secret mission soon.

#21 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 08:17 PM

...or maybe the Royal Navy,

Ooooo...that's new.

B)

#22 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 08:19 PM

B)

Something else in the pipeline isn't exactly breaking news. Remember Mister Asterix's article said Higson said Project X could be one of two things? I suspect this is what he's referring to.

#23 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 01:09 AM

Agreed. Isn't Enid Blyton still the most popular writer in GB? With works well rooted in the past? Didn't harm her apparently.

Agreed. I recall when I was younger back in the early 1970s being handed an Enid Blyton book and when I opened it read an inscription that made me realize the same book had been given to my mother when she was my age.

#24 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:45 PM

I honestly don't know why IFP don't give Charlie the go ahead with writing adult Bond also...either he needed a break or the original contract was up. If he gets to write more, then let him write the trilogy and quite possibly pick up where DMC left off...

IF people here regard DMC as cannon or not.

#25 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:44 AM

I honestly don't know why IFP don't give Charlie the go ahead with writing adult Bond also...either he needed a break or the original contract was up. If he gets to write more, then let him write the trilogy and quite possibly pick up where DMC left off...

IF people here regard DMC as cannon or not.

Charlie originally signed on to write five Young Bond novels and, according to what he said last week in D.C., when the books turned out to be such a success, IFP said they would like more than five.

Logically, at some point Charlie would end up writing an adult Bond, but that would be after he had written about Bond's time at Fettes and the Royal Navy (for which he gave a plot point in D.C.)

#26 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:47 PM

Hope springs eternal. B) it would be really cool to have Mr. Higson and Deaver come out with Bond novels at the same time, but that's wishful thinking. lol.

#27 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:33 PM

Charlie just tweeted that he's going to start his new book today. Presumably, that's Enemy 3. Seems quite early to be starting on that. He wrote The Dead just this year.

Could he be getting an early start to free up 2011? B)

#28 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:35 PM

I wonder what it can be?

Could it have just been the full reboot concept? We didn't necessarily know this at that time.

BTW, audio of the Politics & Prose appearance can be purchased at the bookstore website.

#29 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:55 PM

BTW, audio of the Politics & Prose appearance can be purchased at the bookstore website.

Scratch that. They don't have a recording of Charlie's event, dang-it.

#30 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:42 PM

He does have a point about losing momentum with the core/original YB fandom. Kids grow up fast! However, as long as the books are in-print and on stores shelves, new young readers will come to them and discover them and be right there primed and ready for a new book, so I don't think it's so critical. It's up to Puffin to keep them in-print and keep them in front of new readers. Kids love series, and a set the YB novels that they can dip into at their own rate is highly appealing.

Yeah; old JK seemed to manage okay with the kids growing up! :tdown:

I know there's a tendency to get a bit precious about Charlie around here, but does the YB 2 author actually have to be him???

If he's had enough of Bond - and yes, I can see why he might - what's the point in returning just for £££s/$$$s?

A fresh approach might be better suited, to the execution as well as the quality of the end product.

Mark Gatiss' name has been mentioned on these boards before. I've read his Box trilogy - and Black Butterfly is a wondersful Fleming pastische. He has the tone down nicely. And, of course, for juvenile eyes, he contributed to the success of the relaunch of Dr Who.

Time to say, Ciao, Charlie? :tdown:

No, no, no. I want to love Gatiss, and even the large amount of times he disappoints me I can't dislike him, but his stuff is never as thrilling as I want it to be. Black Butterfly is largely boring, his Dr Who stuff is solid but never ground-breaking and really pretty ordinary, and even the Vesuvius Club never does anything that you don't expect it to (and that's a Bond movie pastiche). Higson manages to nail the motivation behind Fleming perfectly; more perfectly than any other continuation author; and I could never guess where his novels were going: they were genuinely thrilling. He is the Bond continuation author for my money.

Of course, my prefered way - and I've aired it hear before - is to take Charlie on a book by book basis, without long term committment or contract, to avoid the routine and the mundane.

You want to do Bond's arrival at Fettes for 2011, Charlie, Bond learning about a totally new TYPE of schoold, doing things Scottish, golfing etc, fine.

You want to come back now in 2015 with the outbreak of WW2 and the Government folks from BRC coming for him, fine.

2018 - you want to put YB/JB at the heart of the carnage of WW2? Great.

Kick it, don't step on it. B)

Yup; I'd be happy with that. If it's pre-Fleming Bond, it's gotta be Higson. Personally I want to leap straight to the War bond as seen at the end of Double or Die: that's an entirely fresh period for Bond in print. More Bond at school; not sure that's as exciting to me.