This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

CARTE BLANCHE

2121 replies to this topic

Poll: Carte Blanche

Do you like the title and UK cover art?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Do you like the US cover art?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1531 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:36 PM

It's definitely a bit shocking, my imagination pictured something a little more...ostentatious. 007 Carte Blanche on a black background is definitely minimalist, but when the 007 is the only form of art to be seen...Ok, before we light this thing up completely just keep in mind that the publisher gave this to us, and they did not have to. Just sayin'.

#1532 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:41 PM

And before someone asks, this is the actual, final cover. Because it's so simple, I thought at first maybe it was proof art or art for Amazon. So I asked.

#1533 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:43 PM

Clearly there is little faith in the American audience. Oh well, the fans are the only ones who are really going to have a (major) issue with it. "A JAMES BOND NOVEL BY JEFFERY DEAVER" also lends to their lack of faith in shoppers grasping what they are looking at. Shame really.

#1534 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:50 PM

It might have a little more to it "in the flesh." The lettering might be raised or something. Maybe the 007 is reflective. It might actually look really cool.

#1535 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:57 PM

I'm guessing that's what those white lines were symbolizing: where the text would be raised. Who knows, it's impossible to call it a terrible cover...but at the same time there's not much you really can call it. Ah well, still can't wait for it. Roll on June.

#1536 mattjoes

mattjoes

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 243 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:13 PM

It's funny how that teaser art is more interesting to look at than the final US cover.

#1537 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:20 PM

Oh dear.

If by an explanation we accept the inferred apology due to this being intended to 'succeed in the American market', it immediately begs the question, what are we supposed to think about Americans?

Spectacularly, erm ...

#1538 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:29 PM

Well, at least we know he's "007" in this reboot. :)

#1539 Gobi-1

Gobi-1

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1529 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:32 PM

It's funny how that teaser art is more interesting to look at than the final US cover.

My thoughts exactly.

#1540 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:41 PM

Isn't the cover pretty much unimportant? I've actually not bought any books in recent years based on the cover. I can't really believe Americans should be that different from us. Sure, some people get attracted by covers and just buy because something appeals to their aesthetic senses. But can that really be a significant number? More than 3 to 5 per cent? I really wonder.

#1541 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:42 PM

It might have a little more to it "in the flesh." The lettering might be raised or something. Maybe the 007 is reflective. It might actually look really cool.

You guessed right. It will ship with tiny cameras on all sides projecting the image they see onto a light emitting polymer skin on the opposite side. Invisible to the casual eye!

#1542 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:59 PM

Isn't the cover pretty much unimportant? I've actually not bought any books in recent years based on the cover. I can't really believe Americans should be that different from us. Sure, some people get attracted by covers and just buy because something appeals to their aesthetic senses. But can that really be a significant number? More than 3 to 5 per cent? I really wonder.

That's an interesting point, Dustin. Ultimately, and especially in the oversaturated, overstimulated U.S. market, I think branding is what most matters. 007 is the brand. 007 by Jeffery Deaver, that's what this says. Maybe that's what you need to do to sell yourself in market this large, this diverse, and this distracted. And I don't think it's because Americans are any more dim or distracted than anyone else (although they might be). It's the sheer size and competitiveness of the US market. You don't have much time and space, so you better be clear what you are. At least that's what I think. I'm no expert.

It would be fascinating to listen in on the discussions about what goes into these covers. I think it might be as simple as the smaller the market, the more subtle and artistic you can be.

#1543 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:12 PM

Not for me. Can books go straight to DVD?!

I would suggest the prominent "007" is because that is all the potential readers need to see. This book is not being written to continue the literature Bond for those familiar with it. It is being aimed at new and casual readers - folk who will see that "007" at the supermarket checkout, the airport and the high street bookstore. For good or bad any decent, wilfully elusive and seductive artwork is not only wasted but may not attract new readers. I could be wrong but the Fleming estate no doubt want massive sales (for brand awareness if nothing else). Mainstream novels are about simple character identification shorthand these days - Harry Potter TM, TWILIGHT TM, The Girl WhoTM.... Deaver's book has to compete in that market and mindset.

#1544 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:18 PM

Not for me. Can books go straight to DVD?!

I would suggest the prominent "007" is because that is all the potential readers need to see. This book is not being written to continue the literature Bond for those familiar with it. It is being aimed at new and casual readers - folk who will see that "007" at the supermarket checkout, the airport and the high street bookstore. For good or bad any decent, wilfully elusive and seductive artwork is not only wasted but may not attract new readers. I could be wrong but the Fleming estate no doubt want massive sales (for brand awareness if nothing else). Mainstream novels are about simple character identification shorthand these days - Harry Potter TM, TWILIGHT TM, The Girl WhoTM.... Deaver's book has to compete in that market and mindset.

Agreed.

They need to attract buyers with the brand if they want a chance. No choice really.

#1545 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:19 PM

It would be fascinating to listen in on the discussions about what goes into these covers. I think it might be as simple as the smaller the market, the more subtle and artistic you can be.

Possibly. Shame though that the American market has become so competitive as to stifle anything more sophisticated. I think they could have a little more faith in their customers and their ability to appreciate a decent effort. Anyway, this will probably sell like hell, even if they'd put Mickey Mouse on the cover. A large part will be e-books where the cover is not important anyway.

#1546 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:24 PM

Possibly. Shame though that the American market has become so competitive as to stifle anything more sophisticated. I think they could have a little more faith in their customers and their ability to appreciate a decent effort. Anyway, this will probably sell like hell, even if they'd put Mickey Mouse on the cover. A large part will be e-books where the cover is not important anyway.

I really think it's about size. And I think they went artistic with the DMC cover. Remember that had the whole wrap around thing going on, etc. I'm not sure that worked. So now the direct approach.

Knew this cover reminded me of something.

Attached Files

#1547 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:26 PM

Oh my gosh, that US cover art is hideous - certainly not as inspiring or mysterious as the UK cover. I'm glad - that like with DMC - we got the better cover again. Preordered my copy the other day - so excited!

Given that people voting in the poll may be judging on the US cover - should we have a revised poll, or a 'Do You Prefer the US or UK cover' poll, perhaps?

#1548 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:27 PM

BOOK BOND EXCLUSIVE: CARTE BLANCHE U.S. COVER ART

So people have the link on this page.

Again, so people just coming in have the link.

#1549 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:30 PM

It's great to hear the publishers are fan friendly & shared the cover so quickly. My bet is that they used the large 007 to make it stand out on shelf. I've been in bookstores where they mix the "new releases" & "just published" together so, even when you know what you are looking for, it can be a challenge to locate it in the store. When the hardcover version of Benson's The Union Trilogy was released, I headed to the local Barnes & Noble to get a copy. After looking for a while & not finding it, I asked for help. When that person couldn't find it either, second person was called in. They eventually found in the "bargain" section after about 10 minutes. On the plus side, the price was really good. :D

#1550 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:33 PM

Great cover for the American version too!!! I'll buy both versions.

Can't wait till they come out.

Interesting reading all your comments by the way. Well done to you all.

Zencat many thanks for the updates, links and info herein.

By the way, to us all, let us not judge the thing by its covers. Of course, we all know that one.

#1551 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:40 PM

Granted, not as cool as the UK cover, but the bold "007" will catch peoples eye here in the states when it hits the shelves.

#1552 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:51 PM

I really think it's about size. And I think they went artistic with the DMC cover. Remember that had the whole wrap around thing going on, etc. I'm not sure that worked. So now the direct approach.

Knew this cover reminded me of something.

Reminds me of the The Man with the Golden Gun, minus pistols. And there's also a Tomorrow Never Dies look about it.

Attached Files

#1553 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:52 PM

Yeah, I was thinking about that TND poster as well. The lines around the 007.

#1554 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:54 PM

Just pointing out that the poll at the top has been changed. There's the UK cover and title poll and now the US poll. Just clarifying.

#1555 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:55 PM

Just pointing out that the poll at the top has been changed. There's the UK cover and title poll and now the US poll. Just clarifying.

Hmmm...I'm not able to vote in the US poll. It's registering as if I've voted. If you vote in one, can you not vote in the other?

Also, no choice for "like it" or "yes"?

#1556 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:57 PM

Hmmm...I'm not able to vote in the US poll. It's registering as if I've voted. If you vote in one, can you not vote in the other?

Ditto.

Pretty funny choices btw, though Not bad and so so are basically the same.

#1557 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:02 PM

Ditto.

Pretty funny choices btw, though Not bad and so so are basically the same.

I was trying to be funny :( In this case they're not the same. One is good, one is bad, one is so-so at least that's how it should be interpreted.

As for voting, I don't know. Maybe you can only vote once and because I added it to an existing poll you can't vote again? Technically there should be 3 polls. One for the title, one for the UK and one for the US. Perhaps we should just dump the poll entirely and start over with that. I don't care.

#1558 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:03 PM

You know what it reminds me of? The cover for the Tom Clancy book 'Dead or Alive'.

I can't vote on the new poll either.

#1559 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:07 PM

I could vote. The way to do it (if you already voted in the last poll) is to select the "delete my vote" option, then you'll be permitted to vote anew.

#1560 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:07 PM

You know what it reminds me of? The cover for the Tom Clancy book 'Dead or Alive'.

To be fair that would require Jeffery Deaver's name to be bigger than the title and in this case... they're about the same size. :P