http://www.hmss.com/...rspies/ironman/

#2 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 03:24 PM

Interesting rundown of Shell Head's early years. I came of age during the Michelinie/John Romita, Jr./Bob Layton era of IRON MAN and I remember issue #152 where he goes behind the Iron Curtain in his black "Stealth Armor" to rescue Bethany.

#3 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 09:23 PM

Interesting rundown of Shell Head's early years. I came of age during the Michelinie/John Romita, Jr./Bob Layton era of IRON MAN and I remember issue #152 where he goes behind the Iron Curtain in his black "Stealth Armor" to rescue Bethany.

The Micheline/Romita Jr./Layton era would be worthy of a sequel. I was in college during that period and followed the title very closely. It was great.

The HMSS article was originally written to meet a Sept. 1 deadline. Given subsequent events, it should have played up the Natasha/Black Widow stuff but, in reality, it has been sitting on the shelf for a while.

#4 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 08:53 AM

The Micheline/Romita Jr./Layton era would be worthy of a sequel. I was in college during that period and followed the title very closely. It was great.

The HMSS article was originally written to meet a Sept. 1 deadline. Given subsequent events, it should have played up the Natasha/Black Widow stuff but, in reality, it has been sitting on the shelf for a while.

There was so much that that team had on the ball! Stark-as-Disco-er-playboy fit perfectly with the times and his subsequent descent into alcoholism was one of comics' greatest moments, even if they couldn't depict it as graphically as it should've been.

I saw one of the trailers of the IM2 and knew that the Sam Rockwell character had to be Justin Hammer, a villain more subtle than, say, The Mandarin. The fact that they used Obadiah Stane in the first film was at least in keeping with the comic that I grew up reading. The first Iron Man movie was surprisingly enjoyable and I didn't hate the film or myself for having seen it. If only it had a decent score and the use of the Black Sabbath song was...lame.

EDIT: Get on with the Michelinie/Romita Jr./Layton era for hmss! I'm a follower, durnit! B)

DOUBLE EDIT: Turns out I have issue #69 (included in your list) in my collection...

Edited by Brian Flagg, 24 April 2010 - 05:16 PM.

#5 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 09:45 AM

I saw Iron Man 2. A few things of note to Marvel Comics fans:

1. About 10 of the original writers and artists are referenced in the end titles. Like the last film, Stan Lee, Don Heck, Larry Lieber and Jack Kirby are credited as creating the character. About another half-dozen are mentioned in another credit, including Gene Colan, David Micheline, Bob Layton and John Romitas Sr. and Jr. I'm presuming John Sr. (who I don't recall ever drawing an Iron Man story) is there because he redesigned the Black Widow in a Spider-Man story and that design is clearly the one the film's BW is based on.

2. Happy Hogan gets a bit more screen time. Basically, it's one scene, it is amusing and it actually draws on the character's comic history of being an ex-boxer.

3. Like the last film, must stay through the end titles...

Edited by Napoleon Solo, 08 May 2010 - 09:48 AM.