#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 06:49 PM

Cute title, eh?

Has anyone heard anything about Penguin getting rid of Puffin Books (their children division and, of course, publishers of Young Bond)? I ask because there has been much strangeness lately. My Puffin contact has left and there appears to be no replacement. I have been baffled by a listing on Amazon for an edition SilverFin in August which shows the publisher as Penguin. My Penguin contact has always been very generous with info, even off-the-record info, but for some reason she will tell me nothing about this (not even that it's a mistake). Now, finally, Penguin has posted their online catalogs for July-Dec 2010...but there is no Puffin catalog! It appears even past catalogs have been deleted. There is still a Puffin website, but click "coming soon" and there are no books beyond June 3 (release date for The Enemy and The Young Bond Dossier pbs).

With all this, I can't help by speculate that Puffin is on the way out. If so, what does this mean for future Young Bond reprints and the next book in Charlie's zombie series, The Dead? New editions under the Penguin name maybe? There is a listing for the International paperback edition of The Dead on Amazon, showing the publisher as Penguin.

Is there anyone out there who has an ear to the ground in the world of publishing that can provide some intel? Thanks.

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:15 PM

Wait! Hold the phone. I've just discovered the Puffin catalog in an area called stocklist. Listings for books here beyond June, including The Dead. I'm an idiot. Sorry.

#3 Sylvia Trench

Sylvia Trench

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:24 PM

don't panic! This year is the 70th anniversary of Puffin - they have months of celebrations and events coming up and as the the biggest children's publisher in the world I don't think they are in any danger of disappearing. In fact if you look on Amazon you'll find that even Charlie H. has a new Puffin coming out, something called 'Monstroso'.

#4 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:30 PM

Yes, in May. I just couldn't find anything beyond June, and the gears started turning, and then I was alarmed when the catalog appeared to have vanished. But it didn't vanish, just moved, and there's lots of goodies to come.

BTW, cover art for The Dead can be seen here: http://www.penguingr...p;stocklistId=1