This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

John Gardner 30th Anniversary Editions

311 replies to this topic

Poll: Gardner reprints?

Would you like to see John Gardner 30th Anniversary reprints in 2011?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#241 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 12:28 AM

Sadly I don't have the collection you guys do, it's very thrown together. I have three copies of License Renewed, one hardcover and two paperbacks. Two Icebreakers (both paperback), two Brokenclaws (paperback), the rest are either paperback or hardback.

#242 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 06:39 AM

Now, I am still wondering who and why the three who voted NO are and what are the reasons?

While I don't see the need (see my earlier posts) I wouldn't object.

So perhaps its Christopher Wood, Raymond Benson and the heirs of Geoffrey Jenkins.

I don't think it's Benson since his 6 orginal novels and 3 short stories will have been re-released once the second omnibus comes out on August 17, 2010. B)

Oh, I don't know.

Maybe Raymond's concerned about the comparison. :tdown: :tdown:

#243 Simg

Simg

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 09:31 AM

So perhaps its Christopher Wood, Raymond Benson and the heirs of Geoffrey Jenkins.
[/quote]
I don't think it's Benson since his 6 orginal novels and 3 short stories will have been re-released once the second omnibus comes out on August 17, 2010. B)
[/quote]

Oh, I don't know.

Maybe Raymond's concerned about the comparison. :tdown: :tdown:
[/quote]

Take it from me Raymond is not at all worried about the comparison!

SRJG

#244 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 03:29 PM

I think Raymond would love to see the books reprinted. He's a Bond fan and a Gardner fan. He included the Gardner books in his Bedside Companion, interviewed JG, and wrote a fantastic retrospective of his work. He's also a very decent guy. Of course RB would like to see them back in print. I think he's still as big a fanboy as the rest of us. B)

#245 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 03:34 PM

Do you really for one minute believe that I was serious in suggesting that the three behind the negative vote might really be Chris Wood, Ray Benson and Geoffrey Jenkins heirs???? :tdown:

Or that Benson's reason might be that he would afraid of unflattering comparisons???? B)

:tdown:

#246 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 03:42 PM

Oh, sorry, got carried away in the flow of posts. Lost the joke a bit. B)

#247 Simg

Simg

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 05:19 PM

Oh, sorry, got carried away in the flow of posts. Lost the joke a bit. B)

Easy to do with people spelling Gardner and Fleming wrong... lol

SRJG

#248 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 08:27 PM

We're now at 94% in favor of reprints. B)

#249 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 09:29 PM

I updated the design of @GardnerRenewed on Twitter.

#250 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 03:03 AM

I’m not the biggest Gardner fan, but I’m wholly behind this campaign. Why should his Bond novels waste away in second hand book stores, mostly forgotten? We shouldn't have to slink around like Indiana Jones, hunting for artefacts.

Fleming is splendid and IMO the best, but the whole mentality of Fleming and nothing else has to stop. By that logic, stores would only be stocking the first 6 Bond films, and we would go without the other 16 films in the series.

Bond is a broad church. Gardner has his place in Bond history and that cannot be denied. His novels have been consigned to the ancient times for too long. Let’s get them reprinted.

Imagine walking into a book store and seeing all the Bond books from the different authors sitting there as one. Now that would be a dream come true.

#251 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 06:34 PM

Why should his Bond novels waste away in second hand book stores, mostly forgotten? We shouldn't have to slink around like Indiana Jones, hunting for artefacts.

B)

#252 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:04 AM

Here's a cryptic tweet from the John-Gardner.com Twitter feed...
Was talking with CT from IFP interesting conversation...
I'm assuming CT is Corinne Turner aka the Managing Director of Ian Fleming Publications Ltd. Interesting...

#253 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 02:57 PM

I'm assuming CT is Corinne Turner aka the Managing Director of Ian Fleming Publications Ltd. Interesting...

That could be good.

#254 Simg

Simg

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 83 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 07:49 PM

That could be good.

Nothing cryptic guys just having an interesting conversation, shooting the breeze, it's all this spy stuff, gets you second guessing and you all know how that goes....

:-)

SRJG

Like it I will tell Alex Canning you nicked some of his A/W
he will be chuffed to help the cause

Cheers and thanks again

SRJG

#255 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:31 PM

Like it I will tell Alex Canning you nicked some of his A/W
he will be chuffed to help the cause

Cheers and thanks again

SRJG

Glad you like it. B)

#256 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 07:28 PM

Tomorrow (May 16th) marks the 1 month anniversary of this thread/campaign. B)

#257 Simg

Simg

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 83 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:07 AM

Tomorrow (May 16th) marks the 1 month anniversary of this thread/campaign. B)

16th of May 2010

As 'Righty007' has pointed out this campaign has been active for a month now and I would like to thank all involved. What I can tell you is that 'the right people' do know of its existence. The whole issue regarding the continuance novels has been a bit of a nightmare in the past but The Gardner Estate is on great terms with IFP so this is not a time to think that we are not getting anywhere with this issue.

Watch This Space!

Is really all I can say, and thank you again for your kind and generous support of my late Father's work. May the discussions continue...

Simon Richard John Gardner

#258 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:18 AM

This is really good to know, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this! B) :tdown:

#259 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:26 AM

Thats promising.

So we are celebrating the 30 Years Anniversary and this threads first month anniversary. Very odd. Reminds me of a meeting about a meeting I had at work once.

#260 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 03:25 PM

Fantastic. Thank you for the update, Simon. B)

#261 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:17 PM

Great to hear that the right people know about this thread! Very positive.

#262 Simg

Simg

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 83 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:44 PM

Thats promising.

So we are celebrating the 30 Years Anniversary and this threads first month anniversary. Very odd. Reminds me of a meeting about a meeting I had at work once.

Having worked in Publishing and Advertising those kind of meetings are part of life. I did however think that moving into designing holograms things would change. How stupid of me... I am still working for a large corporation.

SRJG

#263 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:47 AM

Really encouraging to hear that this true Bond fan movement is at least getting recognized by those in control. B)

#264 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 02:09 PM

Perhaps Gardner reprints will be PROJECT Y? B)

#265 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 02:57 AM

From Simon's Blog...
Gardner, Benson & Bond

#266 whiteskwirl

whiteskwirl

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:20 AM

From Simon's Blog...
Gardner, Benson & Bond

Can't wait to read that article.

As for this whole project, I'm all for it. Gardner's legacy is an important one, even if you hate with a passion all of his novels, because he kept Bond alive for 15 years. They could have stopped it with Colonel Sun, but fortunately they didn't. In my opinion, literary Bond is more important than movie Bond, so I'm glad they did decide to continue (and isn't License Renewed the most appropriate title ever?).

In order to read Gardner's books now, my paltry local library has had to suffice, plus Amazon Marketplace, which is fine, but how much better would it be to have these books back in print.

I didn't know about any continuation novels until I happened to run into High Time to Kill at a bookstore years ago. I didn't know John Gardner existed until coming here. Surely there are many people out there ignorant of this as well. I remember when DMC was being hyped up, at least one article said DMC would be the first Bond novel since Fleming. So even the news people didn't know about the continuation novels. That's a shame.

There's certainly a market for Gardner's books. Anyone who reads Ken Follett or Lee Child or Jeffery Deavers or any thriller writer -- any lover of thrillers would find a wealth of new (for them) adventures in Gardner's novels. New, unknown authors are published every year, so if publishers will take a chance on the unknown, why not tackle a re-release with a proven author, and more importantly, a proven brand?

Anyway, I support this project 100%. So whatever I can do to help, let me know. I already know about the twitter and facebook pages.

Also, welcome to Simon Gardner. Icebreaker is one of my favorite Bond novels period, and the one I would most like to see turned into a movie. Hopefully this project will bear fruit and we can see Gardner in print again so everyone can read them.

#267 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:23 AM

Well said whiteskwirl.

Edit: What a great letter from Raymond on John Gardner's website. Well done for sharing it Simon, I think that set the record straight. Great stuff.I look forward to the interview on the 5th June. Stay tuned to john-gardner.com

#268 Simg

Simg

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 83 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 07:54 PM

Well said whiteskwirl.

Edit: What a great letter from Raymond on John Gardner's website. Well done for sharing it Simon, I think that set the record straight. Great stuff.I look forward to the interview on the 5th June. Stay tuned to john-gardner.com

Thank you whiteskwirl appreciated comments

Raymond is a wonderful guy and in full support of all things JG and Bond
Sorry I have kept the article bacj for a while but I wanted to find the right time to post it. With the news of the new continuation book being announced it seemed like the right time. So hopefully if AC my web guru/master has it sorted the weekend of the 5th will see it on www.john-gardner.com
Again thank you all for the support

SRJG

#269 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:42 PM

Thanks to you, Simon, and Raymond Benson for sharing this letter, much appreciated! That article also will be most welcome!

#270 whiteskwirl

whiteskwirl

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 04:31 AM

I was reading through the Gardner forum here and noticed this thread:

http://debrief.comma...?showtopic=7389

wherein Zencat proposes a reprint of Gardner's books. So this isn't the first time. Let's hope this time it happens.