This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

John Gardner 30th Anniversary Editions

311 replies to this topic

Poll: Gardner reprints?

Would you like to see John Gardner 30th Anniversary reprints in 2011?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 07:22 AM

Here's a selection of the ultimate 30th Anniversary John Gardner tribute:

http://www.abebooks....e...p;x=53&y=15

Cape First Editions. Richard Chopping dust jacket. And some for little more than the cost of a new paperback.

Licence Renewed. The best continuation Bond since 1981.

B)

#62 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 04:27 PM

Glad to see the idea has been picked up by others. The campaign is firing in all thrusters.

Join, fan, friend!

Twitter
http://twitter.com/GardnerRenewed

Facebook (Official JG Fan page):
http://www.facebook....15369659?ref=mf

Facebook (my JG Bond books page):
http://www.facebook....er/267811683959

#63 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 04:31 PM

Didn't someone here (zencat?) once come up with an idea to market all the Bond books as a uniform set of cheap airport novels? I guess something like that could work here. Slap on a budget price tag and market them in a retro kind of way. Not to cheapen Gardner's contribution to the Bond saga, but a more lucrative (and realistic) market here would be travellers and commuters rather than literary collectors.

I think I was pitching down and dirty movie tie-in originals. Not anything having to do with the existing continuation novels. Can't find the thread. But I recall it was another BRILLIANT idea. B)

EDIT: Found it.

Now wouldnt we all be happy to just walk into the book shop and see some John Gardner Bond paperbacks on the shelfs! If they were lush enough looking even the collectors would have to dive in. I really would be happy with anything if I could just get my hands on them without having to go to book fairs.

EDIT: Evedently three people so far here wouldnt. I wonder what the reasons are behind it? Why wouldnt you want a re-release? Isnt it a shame that John Gardners Bond books have gone out of print? I cant see what harm it does, unless you would feel compeled to buy them, or you didnt like any of them.

Edited by DAN LIGHTER, 18 April 2010 - 04:35 PM.

#64 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 04:43 PM

And maybe the books could contain introductions, or at least one uniform introduction, maybe by Simon Gardner, explaining JG's Bond legacy. Or, heck, they could include Gardner's own account of how he go the Bond job, etc., as seen on the official website HERE.

I think this is an excellent idea! :tdown:

EDIT: Evedently three people so far here wouldnt. I wonder what the reasons are behind it? Why wouldnt you want a re-release? Isnt it a shame that John Gardners Bond books have gone out of print? I cant see what harm it does, unless you would feel compeled to buy them, or you didnt like any of them.

Meh, some people just don't like the idea of continuation novels and balk at any idea. That' okay. Think Ann Fleming was one of them. B)

#65 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 04:46 PM

What a great idea to have introductions, Be interesting to hear one from his Son indeed. Perhaps someone of note who read Gardner's Bond books first. Introductions breath new life into books from the right person.

Ann Fleming ehh? Against other writers of Bond? I think I heard that before, if you have a link to it though I would be obliged.

Edited by DAN LIGHTER, 18 April 2010 - 04:49 PM.

#66 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 04:51 PM

Didn't someone here (zencat?) once come up with an idea to market all the Bond books as a uniform set of cheap airport novels? I guess something like that could work here. Slap on a budget price tag and market them in a retro kind of way. Not to cheapen Gardner's contribution to the Bond saga, but a more lucrative (and realistic) market here would be travellers and commuters rather than literary collectors.

I think I was pitching down and dirty movie tie-in originals. Not anything having to do with the existing continuation novels. Can't find the thread. But I recall it was another BRILLIANT idea. B)

EDIT: Found it.

Now wouldnt we all be happy to just walk into the book shop and see some John Gardner Bond paperbacks on the shelfs! If they were lush enough looking even the collectors would have to dive in. I really would be happy with anything if I could just get my hands on them without having to go to book fairs.

Of course I cannot speak for the others, nor am I against a re-release, be that a collector's edition or a more low-profile omnibus collection/selection. But the heart of the matter is, the Gardners are indeed a mixed bag, and while Gardner held out incredibly long he was often frustrated by the circumstances under which he worked and by the product these circumstances shaped. And this mixture of diverging interests and multiple frustrations showed over the years in the books themselves.

As a fan myself I champion of course that other fans get a chance to read the entire run. But not all of them really compliment Gardner and/or Bond and/or Glidrose-IFP. And picking up one of the lesser entries might well put off a potential fan for good. Not a prospect a publisher will want to face with a re-release.

#67 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 04:56 PM

What a great idea to have introductions, Be interesting to hear one from his Son indeed. Perhaps someone of note who read Gardner's Bond books first. Introductions breath new life into books from the right person.

Yeah, it would make the whole thing snap into focus as "30th Anniversary Editions."

Ann Fleming ehh? Against other writers of Bond? I think I heard that before, if you have a link to it though I would be obliged.

Well, I know she really hated Colonel Sun. She apparently wrote a review so savage they didn't print it. (Not sure of the paper.) But it might have had more to do with personal feelings toward Kingsley Amis. I think she thought he was a commie. But there are people who know more about this than me.

Of course I cannot speak for the others, nor am I against a re-release, be that a collector's edition or a more low-profile omnibus collection/selection. But the heart of the matter is, the Gardners are indeed a mixed bag, and while Gardner held out incredibly long he was often frustrated by the circumstances under which he worked and by the product these circumstances shaped. And this mixture of diverging interests and multiple frustrations showed over the years in the books themselves.

As a fan myself I champion of course that other fans get a chance to read the entire run. But not all of them really compliment Gardner and/or Bond and/or Glidrose-IFP. And picking up one of the lesser entries might well put off a potential fan for good. Not a prospect a publisher will want to face with a re-release.

Good points, Trident. What do you think of my idea of just doing just the first five to test the waters?

#68 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:05 PM

Trident is, of course, correct. Poor old JG's enthusiasm waned very quickly - clearly due to the pressures he was under - and the quality suffered.

The enthusiasm of Zen and Dan is... enthusiastic.

A preface by a genuine critic or, ideally, insider "John Gardner wrote 14 official continuation novels.... Glidrose had originally approached Jack Higgins, Gerald Seymour, Ted Albeury, Alistair Maclean and others.... Gardner put James Bond in a Saab. Others in their outlines suggested a Bentley, an Aston Martin, a Lotus, a BMW and, oh, a Peugeot... If you have read Ian Fleming, be prepared for something a little different..." rather than a family testament would be better.

Putting Gardner in Bond context. I'D buy that!

#69 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:07 PM

So, David, what do you think of my idea of just doing the first five books then? I think those are all solid books (ROH could be made more so with the missing computer game restored), and each one very different.

#70 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:10 PM

Indeed, I know many thought they went off to the middle and end of Gardner's run and wouldn't expect all to be printed again. Even Fleming got tired of Bond and he didn't write as many. True?

Apologies if I seem over excited, but I am actually over excited. If anything, it's pleasant bouncing a few ideas around.

My other half just got the Taser Gun out so I will be quite for a bit now. B)

Edited by DAN LIGHTER, 18 April 2010 - 05:13 PM.

#71 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:12 PM

Good points, Trident. What do you think of my idea of just doing just the first five to test the waters?

Actually, those would have been my favourites for two different omnibusses, a Bond-80's-revisited with LR + IB and a Bond-80's-SPECTRE-rehaunted, wrapping FSS/ROH/NLF.

But I think these five could also hold themselves as individual books and with them I'd be fairly confident as a publisher to spur interest in the Gardners big enough to go deeper into the material. On the other hand, should those five not get satisfying sales, then I'd seriously doubt the material would be touched again anytime soon. But that first few until '86 are really worth the effort IMO.

#72 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:16 PM

Agreed. And it would easier to get all the intros together and do the restoration work on ROH (I'm not letting that go) by this time next year.

Now, I'm not letting go of my dream of the entire series, but could live with the first five in 2011 and then see.

#73 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:16 PM

So, David, what do you think of my idea of just doing the first five books then? I think those are all solid books (ROH could be made more so with the missing computer game restored), and each one very different.

Though I bought every one of 'em, mostly on publication date (banging the door down of my local bookseller on the day of publication in my youthful naivety) I'd say only LR and FSS have much Bondian merit, though I have a soft spot for Nobody Lives Forever, Scorpius and Win, Lose or Die plus Gardner's take on LTK.

Just think a re-issue should - as with allcont inuations - carry a non-Fleming Health Warning.

#74 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:20 PM

So maybe more of a selected collection of Gardner's best. Also a viable idea. And, yes, big Health Warning there on the cover (and a nice ad in the back directing you to the Fleming originals).

#75 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:22 PM

Trident is, of course, correct. Poor old JG's enthusiasm waned very quickly - clearly due to the pressures he was under - and the quality suffered.

The enthusiasm of Zen and Dan is... enthusiastic.

A preface by a genuine critic or, ideally, insider "John Gardner wrote 14 official continuation novels.... Glidrose had originally approached Jack Higgins, Gerald Seymour, Ted Albeury, Alistair Maclean and others.... Gardner put James Bond in a Saab. Others in their outlines suggested a Bentley, an Aston Martin, a Lotus, a BMW and, oh, a Peugeot... If you have read Ian Fleming, be prepared for something a little different..." rather than a family testament would be better.

Putting Gardner in Bond context. I'D buy that!

I think this really would be an extraordinarily splendid idea, giving each book (most are very trim) a generous amount of background and behind-the-scenes material such as the fantastic article on the SAAB - Bond connection. I'd definitely buy such an edition!

#76 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:28 PM

So maybe more of a selected collection of Gardner's best. Also a viable idea. And, yes, big Health Warning there on the cover (and a nice ad in the back directing you to the Fleming originals).

I could see a market - sort of - for re-issued LR and FSS, advising on their "difference" from Fleming.

Issue is, would one play up their being 'better' than their Benson, Weinberg, Higson, Faulks successors?

#77 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:45 PM

Okay, wait, I have it! Here is the new (compromise) vision:

Release the first five books (or the "David Schofield Selection" B)) as beautiful limited edition "30th Anniversary Editions." New cover art, intros, the works. Okay?

Then, at the same time, release the entire series as eBooks (Kindle, iBook, all formats). Advertise the eBooks in the backs of the 30th Anniversary Editions (which alone could justify their publication). Then we're giving people/fans the ability to read all the books without taking on the expense and risk of publishing/printing 14 books. And it gets IFP and Bond more into the eBook biz, which is clearly starting to happen. Could even boost Fleming eBook sales.

How is this not an awesome idea? :tdown:

#78 Simg

Simg

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:18 PM

Just wanted to say 'Hi Guys' I finally registered myself on your illustrious website. I have not yet read through the 3 (as it stands at present) pages discussing the topic of reprints, but I aim to in the next day or so. The launch last Sunday of the new look site www.john-gardner.com and getting to know some of you via email and Facebook & Twitter has kept me busy nearly every evening since! I just wanted to butt in on this thread and thank you all for keeping the JG Flag flying. Though my father was disillusioned with James Bond towards the end of his time writing the sequels he was still very proud to have been chosen in the first place, he felt it a great honour. Regarding "Disillusioned", this was more to do with having to keep to a certain 'path' so to speak... Keep everyone happy, the publishers in the UK/US, Glidrose/The Fleming Estate, so he obviously had limitations in what he could and couldn't do with Mr. Bond. However he would be overjoyed to read that people were still passionate enough about his Bonds, either loving or hating them, or maybe even sitting on the fence about them... But still discussing them nearly 30 years on. From the bottom of my heart I thank you all, and maybe we will if we try hard enough get a re-print of some sort in 2011. Simon RJ Gardner

#79 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:20 PM

Release the first five books (or the "David Schofield Selection" B)) as beautiful limited edition "30th Anniversary Editions." New cover art, intros, the works. Okay?

Then, at the same time, release the entire series as eBooks (Kindle, iBook, all formats). Advertise the eBooks in the backs of the 30th Anniversary Editions (which alone could justify their publication). Then we're giving people/fans the ability to read all the books without taking on the expense and risk of publishing/printing 14 books. And it gets IFP and Bond more into the eBook biz, which is clearly starting to happen. Could even boost Fleming eBook sales.

oh um not a great fan of ebooks. Hate looking at screens to read written text for to long. But if it was the only option then I would have to make do.

Limited edition seems a very limited print run. Would be nice to know they are going to be arou d for a bit.

#80 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:32 PM

Just wanted to say 'Hi Guys' I finally registered myself on your illustrious website. I have not yet read through the 3 (as it stands at present) pages discussing the topic of reprints, but I aim to in the next day or so. The launch last Sunday of the new look site www.john-gardner.com and getting to know some of you via email and Facebook & Twitter has kept me busy nearly every evening since! I just wanted to butt in on this thread and thank you all for keeping the JG Flag flying. Though my father was disillusioned with James Bond towards the end of his time writing the sequels he was still very proud to have been chosen in the first place, he felt it a great honour. Regarding "Disillusioned", this was more to do with having to keep to a certain 'path' so to speak... Keep everyone happy, the publishers in the UK/US, Glidrose/The Fleming Estate, so he obviously had limitations in what he could and couldn't do with Mr. Bond. However he would be overjoyed to read that people were still passionate enough about his Bonds, either loving or hating them, or maybe even sitting on the fence about them... But still discussing them nearly 30 years on. From the bottom of my heart I thank you all, and maybe we will if we try hard enough get a re-print of some sort in 2011. Simon RJ Gardner

Welcome, Simon, to CBn! :tdown:

oh um not a great fan of ebooks. Hate looking at screens to read written text for to long. But if it was the only option then I would have to make do.

Limited edition seems a very limited print run. Would be nice to know they are going to be arou d for a bit.

It is admittedly a compromise vision. Maybe a more realistic vision given the world of publishing. My concern with only printing a selection (first five) is it doesn't accomplish the true goal of getting these books into the hands of people who want to read them. The early books are actually easier to find second hand. The later books are the real trick. I'd prefer ALL the books to be made available in print as well. I've yet to read an eBook, but I feel myself going that way.

#81 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:52 PM

Simon, I had the great pleasure of meeting your father at the James Bond Fan Club Convention in 1982 (where, if I recall correctly, the Silver Beast was WHITE!). He seemed in his element then as the new Bond author (this was before the publication of FSS), cigarette in hand, addressing his enrapt aaudience.

It's a shame that ultimately he became so restricted by Bond.

#82 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 07:13 PM

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Chris Wright
[email protected]

“Reprint John Gardner’s 007 Now” Campaign Begins on Twitter
http://twitter.com/GardnerRenewed

Athens, Ohio, April 18, 2010 – May 2011 will mark the 30th anniversary of the release of LICENCE RENEWED by John Gardner (1926-2007). In honor of this anniversary, a campaign to get all 14 of Gardner’s James Bond novels reprinted began on Twitter yesterday under the banner, “Reprint John Gardner’s 007 Now.”

In the early-1980s, novelist John Gardner undertook the impossible task of bringing Ian Fleming’s “master spy” James Bond 007 into the new decade, ending up with a product that reinvigorated the Bond literary franchise after many years of inactivity. First published by Glidrose Publications (currently Ian Fleming Publications) and Jonathan Cape in 1981, LICENCE RENEWED was the first of 14 original James Bond novels written by Gardner.

From 1981 to 1996, Gardner penned 14 original Bond novels and 2 novelizations. The majority of Gardner’s novels have been out of print for 20 or more years. And COLD, Gardner’s final contribution to the series hasn’t been in print since 1997.

The purpose of the “Reprint John Gardner’s 007 Now” campaign on Twitter is to gather “followers” that wish to see these novels reprinted (complete with uniform cover art) in the near future. The goal of this campaign is to garner enough supporters in order to attract the attention of Ian Fleming Publications, the literary copyright holder of Ian Fleming’s James Bond character and all novels featuring the legendary spy.

John Gardner’s 14 original James Bond novels are LICENCE RENEWED (1981); FOR SPECIAL SERVICES (1982); ICEBREAKER (1983); ROLE OF HONOUR (1984); NOBODY LIVES FOR EVER (1986); NO DEALS, MR. BOND (1987); SCORPIUS (1988); WIN, LOSE OR DIE (1989); BROKENCLAW (1990); THE MAN FROM BARBAROSSA (1991); DEATH IS FOREVER (1992); NEVER SEND FLOWERS (1993); SEAFIRE (1994); and COLD (1996).

About “Reprint John Gardner’s 007 Now”

“Reprint John Gardner’s 007 Now” (http://twitter.com/GardnerRenewed) is a fan-initiated campaign to get all 14 of John Gardner’s James Bond novels reprinted in the near future. The campaign is not affiliated with Ian Fleming Publications, EON Productions, or the John Gardner estate.

For further information, contact:

Chris Wright
[email protected]

# # #

#83 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 07:27 PM

...a campaign to get all 14 of Gardner’s James Bond novels reprinted began on Twitter yesterday under the banner, “Reprint John Gardner’s 007 Now.”

So this "began" on Twitter, eh? News to me. B)

#84 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 07:37 PM

...a campaign to get all 14 of Gardner’s James Bond novels reprinted began on Twitter yesterday under the banner, “Reprint John Gardner’s 007 Now.”

So this "began" on Twitter, eh? News to me. :tdown:

In my defense, the campaign specifically called "Reprint John Gardner’s 007 Now" did indeed begin on Twitter.

However, the credit for the idea undoubtedly goes to you, zencat. B) :tdown:

This movement was initiated by zencat and taken a little further by myself. I don't want credit for anything, I just want these novels reprinted and hopefully us fans can make that happen! :)

#85 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 07:42 PM

Hey, anything to get the word out. B) But I am enjoying having the conversation (and offering up some creative and practical ideas about what these reprints could be) here on good old CBn. :tdown:

#86 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 08:02 PM

Great idea. B)

I would definitely like to read them on my Kindle. IFP already released Kindle versions of Ian Fleming's novels so it's not a stretch to imagine them also making Gardner's available.

#87 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 08:06 PM

What a great pleasure to have Simon post the above here at CBn. Just about to start Reading "No Deals Mr Bond" that is appropriatly dedicated to Simon!

Also pleased to learn you met JG David!

#88 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 08:09 PM

Be nice if some talented fan came up with some "30th Anniversary" cover art to help us envision these a little better (hint, hint). B)

#89 Simg

Simg

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 08:51 PM

Simon, I had the great pleasure of meeting your father at the James Bond Fan Club Convention in 1982 (where, if I recall correctly, the Silver Beast was WHITE!). He seemed in his element then as the new Bond author (this was before the publication of FSS), cigarette in hand, addressing his enrapt aaudience.

It's a shame that ultimately he became so restricted by Bond.
[/quote]

Where was the convention held? my Father's personal SAAB was white, the UK promo car I thought was silver. Yes he did like to 'hold court' so to speak. kept up with the cigarettes until his first heart attack and then quit straight after. I quit nine weeks ago and every day I still want one. Regarding the restriction thing, I honestly believe if he had been given just a little bit more freedom he may have continued longer and the quality of the later books might have been better. However his health did start to become an issue at times.

[quote name='zencat' post='1100805' date='18 April 2010 - 20:09']Be nice if some talented fan came up with some "30th Anniversary" cover art to help us envision these a little better (hint, hint). B)[/quote]

Got anyone in mind Zencat?

#90 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 08:56 PM

Doesn't Mister Astrix dabble in book art? I guess it's a big ask.