The airport guy

7 replies to this topic

#1 Mcx

Mcx

Recruit

• Crew
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 11:46 PM

If Bond knew that the guy at the desert airport where gonna sell them out why didn't he just tie him up at the bathroom or something and just steal the plane? Or have I missed something?

Edited by Mcx, 12 April 2010 - 11:52 PM.

#2 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 12:37 AM

That was more a small private air-field, rather than an airport.

#3 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 12:41 AM

If Bond knew that the guy at the desert airport where gonna sell them out why didn't he just tie him up at the bathroom or something and just steal the plane? Or have I missed something?

Perhaps he thought it would be too time-consuming.

Plus if Bond hadn't ended up getting chased in the plane, he would never have fortuitously parachuted into a sinkhole and discovered the underground water source.

#4 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 12:42 AM

I was more concerned as to why Bond took a massive B) off jet, when there was a perfectly good, decent sized plane right next to it, then acted surprised when it got shot down. :tdown:

#5 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 02:33 AM

I was more concerned as to why Bond took a massive B) off jet, when there was a perfectly good, decent sized plane right next to it

He has a slight inferiority complex.

#6 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 02:36 AM

I was more concerned as to why Bond took a massive B) off jet, when there was a perfectly good, decent sized plane right next to it, then acted surprised when it got shot down. :tdown:

I assumed that Bond thought that if Quantum were looking for a plane that might contain him, they would be looking for a modern jet rather an a rundown plane.

#7 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 01:41 AM

It's just a bad part of the script--one of the very worst, actually. It makes no sense for Bond to know that the airfield guy is going to call Greene and then let him do just that while at the same time making himself an easy target to shoot down in a big, slow, unwieldy plane. It just makes Bond look stupid and/or inept, which Bond should never be.

What should have happened is Bond makes the exchange of the car for the plane and takes off, and as he is taking off, the airfield guy makes the call to Greene with Bond oblivious to the fact that he is being double-crossed. That scenario makes much more sense (while at the same time not making Bond an idiot) and would have gotten us to the exact same place in the story that we did.

My only response would be that the airfield guy probably wouldn't give up that smaller, faster (and more expensive?) plane in exchange for the SUV. The only plane he would be willing to trade for the SUV was the big, old, slow, and run-down one that Bond wound up getting.

#8 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 08:06 AM

My only response would be that the airfield guy probably wouldn't give up that smaller, faster (and more expensive?) plane in exchange for the SUV. The only plane he would be willing to trade for the SUV was the big, old, slow, and run-down one that Bond wound up getting.

I won't try to debate the first part of your post, only to say that not every bit can be perfect.

But I do like the explanation for why Bond took the huge, slow plane. It's so simple I can't believe I didn't think about it.