4 replies to this topic

#1 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 05:12 PM

I was browsing Bond books on Amazon.uk, and I stumbled across a book titled Goldenboy by Charlie Higson, with a July 2009 publication date. The cover had the familiar Young Bond logo, but Amazon provided no other details. I can't believe that another Young Bond story got past us. Is this a European edition of Hurricane Gold, or might it perhaps be something else?

#2 zerominus

zerominus

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 88 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 05:24 PM

I read on Zen's site some time ago that this is the German version of Double or Die.

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 05:39 PM

Yep, it's the German edition of Double or Die. To make matters even more confusing, it used cover art different from any other DOD cover (art I really like, btw). It really does appear to be a whole different book.

Attached Files

#4 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 07:19 PM

It's the paedophile's edition of GoldenEye.

Everyone who's bought it has been put on the local register.

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 07:31 PM

LOL.

It is a somewhat...unfortunate title. But I think Bond is called "the goldenboy" as some point in the book. I think by the villain.

I'm sure there's a story behind how this title came to be. Remember, the title for YB3 was open to a fan competition and not revealed until release day (along with the cover art). This German edition came out pretty close to the UK, so they were probably forced to invent their own title (and cover art) to meet their own deadlines. A unique situation. Wonder if IFP had to sign off on this title.