123 replies to this topic

#1 Tim007

Tim007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4821 posts

Posted 12 March 2002 - 03:42 PM

Okay, guys, Pierce-B from Bond20.com confirmed it, and www.dieanotherday.com is registered by MGM...

There we are.

#2 sainttemplar

sainttemplar

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 13 March 2002 - 02:53 PM

Red Grant (12 Mar, 2002 05:27 p.m.):
Mmmmmmmmmmm.....maybe it will grow on me. My initial feelings are that the title is a bad choice. Of all the Flemingesque titles they could have come up with for the 40th Anniversary this is the best they can come up with. Frankly it wasn't worth the wait. Oh, well I suppose I'd better go and design a banner now with that title on so I can use it for the teaser poster whenever the hell that appears....
Am I the only one who think the title sucks ?

no you're not.There are at least two of us.It just reinforces my belief that this movie will be a mess.

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 14 March 2002 - 12:07 AM

Mister Asterix (13 Mar, 2002 11:21 p.m.):

Ethan Hunt (13 Mar, 2002 11:03 p.m.):
I've heard some people suggesting that thetitle has eference to Gustav Graves coming back!  How is this?  I mean, i thought would have something to do with Falco returnng, after all he is coming back in Bond 21!!!

My theory is that the title refers to Bond's capture.

[b]Bond:[/b] I suppose you're planning on killing me now?

[b]Col. Moon:[/b] No, Mr. Bond, I have other plans for you. You'll just have to die another day.

Hopefully though the title will work on several levels.

I expect the line will belong to Bond. Something like:

Villain: "Why don't you just be a good boy and die."

Bond: "I'll die another day."

#4 Tedley King

Tedley King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 13 March 2002 - 11:03 PM

I've heard some people suggesting that thetitle has eference to Gustav Graves coming back! How is this? I mean, i thought would have something to do with Falco returnng, after all he is coming back in Bond 21!!!

#5 MDSmith

MDSmith

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 177 posts

Posted 12 March 2002 - 05:34 PM

I think it just looks weird because of Tomorrow Never Dies.

#6 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 13 March 2002 - 10:35 PM

I'm not sure about it, I'm starting to warm to it but it's gonna take a while. I guess the thing that bothers me most is that I find it disappointing, not as a Bond title, but as the 40th anniversary title.

#7 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 12 March 2002 - 05:39 PM

Great.
Hooray.
Fine.
Unfortunate acronym, but it's a jolly title.

#8 MDSmith

MDSmith

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 177 posts

Posted 12 March 2002 - 05:45 PM

The more I see it and say it the more I like it, anyway, for those of you who liked Beyond the Ice and Cold Eternity, or Icebreaker and Shatterhand you have to remember, maybe the movie has more to do with dying another day, than breaking ice (or going beyond it), or an eternity in ice. And we already knew that the villian wasn't going to be Dr. Shatterhand.

NEVER JUDGE A MOVIE BY IT'S TITLE

#9 badblokebob

badblokebob

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 March 2002 - 05:46 PM

Well... hmm... Initial impressions: oh dear. As reflected by some of my friends on MSN:

badblokebob says: Bond 20's title is "Die Another Day"
Drezzer says:lol!!!
Drezzer says: "Beyond the Ice" was sooooo much better

badblokebob says: Bond20's called "Die Another Day"
Foolian says: lololololololol
Foolian says:sounds like alll of the other ones
badblokebob says: thats kinda the point
Foolian says:yes, but they could have come up with something a bit better

And I was really liking "Beyond the Ice" as the title too! But, to give it its dues, I HATED "BtI" when i first heard it, but after time it grew on me til I really liked it. Right now I am disappointed it's not the title, but hopefully, in time, it'll grow on me.

...and I'll be back later with more reactions from the 'general public'...

#10 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 13 March 2002 - 10:24 PM

Ninety-four posts!!!!
:) :)
This must be the longest topic ever. Well, I haven't read all of them, so who knows.

#11 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 13 March 2002 - 10:18 PM

It's very good. But it makes me wish--even more--that they never made Bond 18 Tomorrow Never Lies, rather than dies.

Because that title would have made more sense, and the first draught of the screenplay is far better except for the beginning and the name 'Harmsway'... well don't let me be carried off on a rant.

#12 White Knight

White Knight

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 14 March 2002 - 12:38 AM

I love the title. It is just great after thinking it would be beyond the ice. Now they threw a curve ball and caught me totally off guard. It makes the exprience better. I love the title Die Another Day. It's going to be interesting writing DAD on the Forums. :)

#13 walther

walther

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 375 posts

Posted 12 March 2002 - 05:56 PM

Boy, I was kinda hoping for BTI, but I like this one better. It's not spectacular, but I know it will grow on me by November. Hell, it'll probably grow on me today!

#14 badblokebob

badblokebob

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 March 2002 - 11:14 PM

Simplor (12 Mar, 2002 10:56 p.m.):
Uh oh. They used the word "the" in TMWTGG, TLD, and TWINE. Lets over react.

No, let's not, let's just do something else stupid:

But a 4 word, five word, 4 word trilogy? I dunno.

Although:
From Russia With Love (4)
Thunderball (1)
You Only Live Twice (4)
On Her Magesty's... (5)
Diamonds Are Forever (3)

So take the Blofeld trilogy YOLT, OHMSS, and DAF, and you get 4,5,3. Close.

Reading a bit too much into the lengths of titles, doncha think?

#15 Commander Dan

Commander Dan

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 March 2002 - 06:29 PM

It will have to grow on us.........

#16 The_Godfather

The_Godfather

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 March 2002 - 10:09 PM

The title seems kind of out of now where. I mean Die Another Day was not a rumored title, but hey I like it anyway.

#17 JReber007

JReber007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 12 March 2002 - 06:35 PM

Die Another Day, now that I've repeated it incessantly for the past few hours, is actually pretty catchy, even if the acronym of DAD is very hilarious. It sounds quite Bondian, more Benson than Fleming, but still Bondian. Its better than an Ice title to me. Looks like pierce-b was wrong about Beyond The Ice. :) Stupid Bond 20 forum...

#18 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 14 March 2002 - 12:48 AM

Nice little article in today's VARIETY (3/13/02). Not only is this a great title, but it seems to have gotten the Eon marketing machine back on track.

#19 TheBritishEnd

TheBritishEnd

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 261 posts

Posted 13 March 2002 - 09:43 PM

Evil Doctor Cheese (13 Mar, 2002 05:09 p.m.):
My only foible is that it sounds a bit short... I think it would sound better if it was "To Die Another Day" or "Live to Die Another Day" but if you lengthened it it wouldn't have that clever "swapping live for die like Live And Let Die" thing going on with it.

I actually think TO DIE ANOTHER DAY adds to the clever twist of the phrase, by making it more noticeable. (It would also end the silly argument over DAD!)

I know they probably left off the "TO" in deference to TOmorrow Never Dies, but the similarity is somehow more striking with both being short, three word titles.

Most of the arguments about the titles are getting ridiculous, but I do think the idea of adding an extra word is worth some thought. After all, they've made minor changes such as this before (ie. FROM A VIEW TO A KILL -----> A VIEW TO A KILL).

I don't know. What does everyone else think?

GOLDENEYE
TOMORROW NEVER DIES
THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH
TO DIE ANOTHER DAY

#20 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 12 March 2002 - 06:37 PM

How Original. lol. Just a joke, It's ok, not worth the agonizing wait however. Titles with Die are good, and I'm assuming the title will make sense when we see the movie. One thing, I'd hate to think ithe title was decided on domain name availability, just a hunch I have.I'll have accepted it by November.

#21 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 14 March 2002 - 01:02 AM

Even Harry Knowles over at Ain't it Cool seems to really like the title. That's good. This was posted yesterday 3/12/02. http://www.aintitcoo...ay.cgi?id=11748

"Bond 20.... DIE ANOTHER DAY!!!

Hey folks, Harry here.... Just got the press release this morning... sorry for the delay getting this up, my night never seemed to end last night... it happens. Well, waking up to a Bond title this cool is worth it though. DIE ANOTHER DAY is just classic cool sounding. That song could rule so long as it isn't some friggin' ballad thing... Here's the press release...

#22 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 14 March 2002 - 01:29 AM

I was really surprised by the AICN reaction. If you look at his forum threads (which are nearly 100% against Bond) the ones that are actually related to the title are mostly positive.

Go Bond!

Just thought I'd mention that the long forum thread at CBn was 108 posts, just a few more posts to go and this will be the longest. Great! :)

#23 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 12 March 2002 - 09:05 PM

Will Die Another Day be regarded as one of the classic Bond titles? I doubt it. But it is a very good title. And while there are comparisons to Tomorrow Never Dies, I have to say I like Die Another Day better than Tomorrow Never Dies. Die Another Day has substance--it means something--and despite people struggling to give a meaning to Tomorrow Never Dies, I still say it means nothing.

I could see Die Another Day as a Fleming short story title or a Benson novel title. Will we get a classic title like You Only Live Twice or From Russia With Love again someday? Yes, but let's not expect one with every film.

And Die Another Day is much better than Bond On Ice (or whatever that title was).

#24 ray t

ray t

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 12 March 2002 - 09:03 PM

Where are all the politically-correct, bleeding-heart liberals who said in past threads that, givien columbine and 9/11, america wasnt ready for a bond title with the words KILL, DIE or DEATH in it?

Bond was never meant to be about political correctness...it was originally all about:

SEX, VIOLENCE, HONOUR and GOOD VS EVIL.(And later with some wit/humour, cool gadgets, fast cars and exotic sceenery mixed in there)

Thankfully, it looks like we're going to get good doses of it in this movie

DIE ANOTHER DAY may not be the greatest choice but it does have a bondian ring to it...something which Beyond/Beneath the ice, black sun and double cross did not....

ROLL ON NOVEMBER 22......

#25 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 12 March 2002 - 06:56 PM

Fine.

It's not poetry but it suits and fits the canon admirably. And I'm sure by November it will have achieved classic status once it gets a bit of art wrapped around it in the form of posters etc.

Funny, I remember someone saying in the forums in the dim and distant past that "I hope they don't make another title with the word Die in it". Well, the word has a ring of the trustworthiness to it so I'm sure it'll be popping up again in the not too distant future.

So after all that, all the forums posts and after all the titles that were collectively suggested, they did in fact come up with something otherwise unheard of.

That's gotta be saying something.

#26 badblokebob

badblokebob

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 March 2002 - 11:08 PM

Hearing it more and more, "Die Another Day" isn't beginning to grow on me like it has other people -- it's beginning to sound like a ****py Bond rip-off, to me at least. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but I have to say it does sound a bit like they bunged a load of words into a machine (words such as 'kill', 'another', 'the', 'death', 'of', 'die', 'world', 'ice', 'day', 'yesterday' etc) and told it to pick three at random. You can imagine some of the results if they had: "The Ice Day of Death World"; "Another World of Death"; "Kill Die Death Day" -- all very Bond. Or not.

Am I disappointed by the title? How did you guess. But there's nothing we can do about it -- this I've learnt from many years of being a fan of many things. However hard we were to try, if we wanted to, nothing would happen. And besides, it's the film that matters, and that sounds really good to me!!

#27 CatcherInRye

CatcherInRye

Cadet

• Crew
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 March 2002 - 07:47 PM

First of all, since I am new here, I have a general question: How do I make this forum load faster?
OK...OK...So the title did shock very many people. But let me ask you- did you expect any better after the director Tamahori begged the fans to find ANY title (on bond20.com)?
Well, I being naive did: I thought EON would listen to fans and take EVERYTHING OR NOTHING, NOBODY DOES IT BETTER, BEYOND THE ICE or ICEBREAKER.
While certainly not sounding as trashy as DOUBLE CROSS (rumoured on www.ianfleming.com), DIE ANOTHER DAY reminds me too much of TOMORROW NEVER DIES. Two of three words even meen very similar things.
But the most interesting question is NOT if EON got alzheimer; it is: Where the hell did they get that from? Fortunately, I am not the only one to care-www.ianfleming.org posted a reasonable explanation. It states that the title is from a British poem that goes "But since the man that runs away, Lives to die another day, And cowards' funerals, when they come, Are not wept so well at home". Well, thank you very much, it doesn't even rhyme- at least, not here in Birmingham (come - home???).
So as for me: EON, listen- I don't like many things you did. But if you ruin Bond 20 entirely, I will really start to hate and hunt you.

#28 The Mole

The Mole

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 March 2002 - 09:42 AM

Cool title!

People live...
People die...
Every day...
But one man...
Will DIE ANOTHER DAY! 007

#29 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 14 March 2002 - 12:53 PM

"DIE ANOTHER DAY"
Sounds okay to me right now. Originally I didn't like it and didn't comprehend it well but after reading some forum messages explaining it may have something to do with Graves coming back in BondXXI, then I realised this is a clever title !!!!. All we need is a fantastic teaser poster to go with it and it'll be a winner !!!.
My only regret is that a Jinx Beyond the Ice poster I was about to unveil will now have to be changed...back to the drawing board !!!!!.

#30 Dalton

Dalton

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 196 posts

Posted 12 March 2002 - 06:58 PM

I like it, there's something catchy about it. It's a lot better than some of the titles that have been mentioned over the last few months. Double Cross comes to mind. It fit's with the series, and I am thankful that EON didn't give us Beneath The Ice!