This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

What does Bond say at the bar in the Bahamas?

7 replies to this topic

#1 mattbowyer

mattbowyer

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 03:14 PM

I'm sure this has been asked here before but what does Bond say at the bar in the Bahamas hotel after he sees the man whose car he crashed earlier??

The subtitles on the DVD don't even seem to know....it sounds like "marmont" but obviously thats not it.

Anyone?

#2 Sark2.0

Sark2.0

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 332 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 03:38 PM

I assumed it was "couldn't help it" directed at the guy whose car he wrecked. But it seems weird that Bond would say that, and even weirder that the guy wouldn't start shouting to security that Bond was the one who wrecked his car.

#3 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 03:39 PM

He says "Good evening." in German.

side note: I had a Mount Gay rum and soda on the rocks, tall and with a lime last night. Not my usual, but quite nice. B)

#4 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 07:31 PM

Precisely, 003.

What's most interesting is the fact that he uses the short 'n Abend instead of the proper (and stiff) Guten Abend, like people say Evening instead of Good evening (the Aussie G'day also comes to mind). This is incredibly fitting here, as it shows Bod coolness: he greets the guy like an old acquaintance, showing that he recognized him well and that he knows he's been recognized, and that he doesn't give a dam about it. Delivery is perfect, and I'm very certain that the use of the colloquial form was Craig's idea (he had a German girlfriend for years).

Unlike this case, most of those original German sentences in English language movies (not only the Bond ones) are a bit awkward and sound very staged. One of the worst examples is Brosnan's attempt in TND, when he says Lass dich nicht verarschen (roughly: Don't let her fool you) to the valet. Hadn't I known that there's something like this in the movie, I'd never have guessed that it's meant to be German :tdown:

And before people start complaining: this is not Brosnan bashing. He tried his best. I blame the producers. 50 bucks and 15 minutes with a coach would have created ze proper effect B)

#5 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 07:35 PM

Precisely, 003.

What's most interesting is the fact that he uses the short 'n Abend instead of the proper (and stiff) Guten Abend, like people say Evening instead of Good evening (the Aussie G'day also comes to mind). This is incredibly fitting here, as it shows Bod coolness: he greets the guy like an old acquaintance, showing that he recognized him well and that he knows he's been recognized, and that he doesn't give a dam about it. Delivery is perfect, and I'm very certain that the use of the colloquial form was Craig's idea (he had a German girlfriend for years).

And before people start complaining: this is not Brosnan bashing. He tried his best. I blame the producers. 50 bucks and 15 minutes with a coach would have created ze proper effect :tdown:

Ja, it vould.
Heike Makatsch should have got ze credit for it. B)

Maybe in Bond 23 he'll say something in Japanese. :tdown:

#6 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 04:28 AM

Correct.

Interesting they didn't put a subtitle in for this and the "Laisse tomber" bit.

#7 bondrules

bondrules

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 04:51 AM

Correct.

They blew it in QoS as well with the subs. Elvis speaking in German with his mother...didn't see those.

#8 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:45 AM

Correct.

They blew it in QoS as well with the subs. Elvis speaking in German with his mother...didn't see those.

That one really had me laughing. I expected a lot, but not that. As even most Germans have difficulties understanding what he says without subtitles. He speaks in heavy Swiss-German (Schwyzerdütsch, as it's called), which is further away from German than Cockney is from the Queen's English. All I understood was 'Yes, mom, it's awfully hot here.' I guess this was ad-libed by Taubman, and when it came to post production, no one understood it so they couldn't do proper subtitles B)

Hope we'll get Luxemburgish (Lëtzebuergesch) one day. This is an odd mix of French, German with lots of local dialect words from both languages and a few original ones, everything spoken with a special accent. And Luxembourg would make a fine location for a Bond movie.