4 replies to this topic

#1 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 01:45 PM

With Port-au-Prince and other parts of Haiti having been reduced even further into a sad and tragic heap of rubble and flesh, my mind turned to General Medrano's quote above and the magnificence of Quantum Of Solace.

Quantum doesn't mince words and ideas. It's uncompromising and doesn't cop out the way other Bonds do with the likes of their San Moniques or their Ithmus Cities (such a terrible name for a fictitous South American/Latin American location that I may have even spelled it incorrectly).

No...Medrano tells us what he really thinks of Haiti, having forgotten that he himself comes from a not too dissimilar fly spec in South America. Oh the irony.

But looking at the 'big picture', I find Q0S painting a picture of immense geo-political scale...where the tentacles of corporate interests, politics, militaries, secret services, human greed and the hunger for power co-mingle frighteningly. And the mystery of it all is indeed sumptuously hinted at or displayed here, there, everywhere - most notably at the Festival and floating stage at Bregenz during a rousing interpretation of Puccini's Tosca.

It was wonderful!

Marc Forster and David Arnold and the three writers set the bar at an All Time High with what's played out on screen as Quantum covertly (supposedly) discuss allocating resources to competing Canadian and Bolivian ventures followed by Bond cunningly inviting the enemy into foolishly revealing themselves.

Wonderful!

Perhaps only in Thunderball and You Only Live Twice does a 007 film portray an organization with the abilty to alarm...but, sadly, the unveiling of the lead in those Swinging 60s-era films is accompanied by a white Persian pussy cat.

In Quantum, there are no pussies (save one: In a Grand Andean suite following the finding of the, er, stationary)!

#2 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:04 PM

Slightly off topic, I know.

But it's funny that you should mention Port Au Prince...

http://www.guardian....aiti-earthquake

#3 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 06:42 PM

I would assume that's why he mentioned Haiti, Matt. B)

With Port-au-Prince and other parts of Haiti having been reduced even further into a sad and tragic heap of rubble and flesh...

#4 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 09:13 PM

Hilarious parody of an over-zealous Quantum review there Hildebrand. Thanks for the laugh.

#5 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 12:51 PM

My Pleasure!

B)